It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really old drivers and the interstate.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Really,

Do you have to go 40 miles an hour in rush hour traffic. I know it was an on ramp, but we were already on the interstate and cars were flying by so fast it was like Indy.

Thats alright though, I found my gap and floored the accelerator, left blinker clicking away, four cylinders firing flawlessly.

I passed this guy, and he seriously had on a pair of the heavy, thick, really dark, welding goggle like glasses.
Like these.(Obviously not the same dude)

I know that these are cheap drug store style sunglasses, but it seriously made me take a "double-take".

I also know that one day I will be the "old guy" on the road bit(&ing about the "speeders".

With that said, I am truly not against the older generations.

My request.........

I just wish you would go with the flow of traffic and not kill me in the process, because I really thought I was a gonner.

This is coming from a fella that spends 2-3 hours a day on the road.

Thank you,

The next time I might not be so civilized and I might just give you the middle finger

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Young man, the whole problem with you young whippersnappers is that you don't know how to take time and smell the roses. Always driving too fast talking on that there do ma hickey up on your ear and never using a consarn blinker and swerving in and out of traffic makes me hotter than a road lizard. I was driving a car when you were knee high to a grasshopper and if I want to drive slow and concentrate than I shall. It always makes me sad to pass by an accident and they are scraping up someone from the pavement because they were driving too fast. If you are in that much of a hurry, leave earlier...hell, I left early to go school back when I was a did, sun wasn't even up, and I had to walk uphill backwards without shoes in a snowstorm. Hmmph. Whippersnappers these days. I think you should have take an IQ test to get a license these days.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

as bad as your experience was try livin' in south Florida..how i haven't exited my car and beat to death many a q-tips (old people) is beyond me..same goes for the tourists.. i don't understand why when people cross the state line into Florida all common sense and driving skills vanish

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

yeah and you old geezers should stop driving when you become to goddamn old and lazy to turn your heads around when you're backing up..or when you insist on driving with your blinker on or when you make a right hand turn from the left lane of a 4 lane road..shall i go on

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

the welder glasses are epic.. i bought a pair at cvs just the other day..they make good fishing glasses believe it or not

edit on 11-5-2012 by alkesh because: sp

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

thank you. You just proved my point on the IQ test for driving. If you haven't figured out by now Im not elderly, and was just being facetious. Seriously though, I understand you're frustration and concern, but Ive seen just as many young and middle aged people that are just as dangerous behind the wheel and it all comes down to defensive driving. You not only have to watch out for yourself, but the other drivers as well. Anyway, I understand you are frustrated, and just venting so have at it, and please, be safe out there.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

i knew you weren't i was just venting as you said.. it's not just the elderly down here it's everybody that drives like they have no sense..the thing that gets me is everybody down here is from up north (me included) and we don't drive like this up north but when people get down here it's just drive as fast and hard as you can go or as slow as you can go with the older folks..when it' rains forgetaboutit

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

And my favorite.

www.youtube.com...

There are so many vids it is unreal.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I completely understand your frustration however I have more of an issue with the young kids with their delusions that this is somehow the fast and the furious. It's highly dangerous not to mention just stupid. As for the elderly, yes it is a bummer if you get caught behind the ones who drive slowly, but I never yell at them or give them any sign language because I respect that they are someone's grandparent, and if anyone gave my grandmother the finger I'd be super pissed.

There's just a overall lack of respect on seemingly every level in all things these days. How did we get to this? It just reinforces my constant loss of faith in the human race. We're so far removed from the morals and values our society was built on and this has been in a dramatic free fall in just a couple generations. It makes me sad because it feels like this big machine keeps moving forward, stripping us of our souls in exchange for the latest tech gadgets.

I'd love to see it stopped. I just fear it's most likely too late. It makes me believe in planetary cleansings. I hate fear mongering and apocalyptic doom and gloom but it makes sense that these things have probably happened before... Requiring Mother Nature to put the smack down on us because we can't seem to get it together.

Sorry for my slight derailment... I just feel like all of these things are connected. Past present and future are melding together and not in a particularly positive way. I just wish people could quit being so petty and disrespectful. It's amazing how better things could be. Our elderly generations are about to outnumber us and they have a lot still left to give and teach.

I do feel that the DMV should have stricter rules for elderly drivers though. Just like teen drivers have. I know many elderly see that as a denial of rights but it's a matter of safety for them as well as the community. It's hard because as we enter our geriatric years we're in sone ways reverting back to child like behavior but it's often worse when they are confronted because they've been free as adults for years and years. No one in that position wants to be treated like a child again. I went through this with my grandfather. He wanted desperately to be independent but after turning 90 things started going down hill with his mental functions and he would throw fits like a child.

The best thing to do is trying to find a balance to keep everyone safe while limiting the limitations put forth. It's not an easy undertaking but in general can be done. The most important thing is allowing them to keep their dignity and the respect they absolutely deserve. It's also important to try putting yourself in their shoes... None of us would like to be stripped of basic things like driving. It's embarrassing.

Anyway, kudos for refraining from giving the elderly the finger! I don't know you but I am still proud of you for having self control and letting it go! Thank you

new topics

top topics

join