It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dirigible - A question for aircraft experts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ok, I know what a dirigible is, however my father has what he calls an "antique tool" called a dirigible reamer, claimed to be the only one ever made. Can anyone tell me what that is, he keeps trying to explain it to me but I don't understand, something about it adjusting something in the engine.

I am certainly no expert on any type of aircraft, but am interested in finding out more about his "antique dirigible reamer" if it's even spelled that way. I have tried googling it, but get zero results.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The word "dirigible" comes from the French "derigeable," meaning being able to be directed. Either that or the latin, dirigere (I think, not 100% on that). What a dirigible reamer therefore is some sort of thing that can go inside an inflexible pipe or piston cylinder and remove dirt or grind it out further. Similiar to a hone that you attach to a drill and use to re-bore a piston cylinder. "Dirigible" in this case, I should imagine, has nothing to do with the lighter-than-air vessel.

If I'm right, this tool should look like a fibre-optic tube with a spring-loaded head mounting at least three grinding surfaces. It's very difficult to describe but that's the closest I could come.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
No this is for a dirigible as in that little blimp like thing they use with helium or whatever. I will ask him again what this device does again, and I will see if I can get a picture of it.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Ahhh, OK. Now I am confused. This now sounds to me like one of those inflatables they shove down arteries in heart surgery to expand them.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Lampyridae]

new topics

top topics

join