It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nosy exam question asks 3rd graders to reveal a "secret". Parents outraged.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by PurpleChiten

You keep making the "it is always the few who make it bad for everyone else" argument, but you are quite selective in how you do it. Here is a statistic that should convince you that maybe all teachers should be monitored constantly when around children:

Between 1% and 5% of teachers sexually abuse or harass students.

As you like to say, it is always the few who make it bad for everyone else. No teacher should ever, under your paradigm, be trusted with our children.

"between 1% and 5% of teachers sexually abuse or harass students"......??

apples and oranges.

Demanding 100% out of a student could be construed as 'harassment'. It has no place in the same context as sexual abuse.

If they meant sexually abuse and sexually harass....they should have the duty to specify.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by thirdeye3spiral
reply to post by captaintyinknots

it could be anything from abuse to drug use,privet family issues..jus remember kids say the darndest things lol..

And what about any of these would make it worth it to put the money into data-mining 3rd graders? Not to mention, how would they use it? Children of that age are rarely considered a reliable source.

Makes you wonder if some of these folks have bodies burried in their back yard or something with all the defensiveness doesn't it?
I think as soon as they see the inappropriateness of the question, they will change the question. They probably didn't even look at it from that angle.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

It is teaching kids to rat out their parents and friends.

I agree with that reminiscent of the Hitler youth.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by PurpleChiten

You keep making the "it is always the few who make it bad for everyone else" argument, but you are quite selective in how you do it. Here is a statistic that should convince you that maybe all teachers should be monitored constantly when around children:

Between 1% and 5% of teachers sexually abuse or harass students.

As you like to say, it is always the few who make it bad for everyone else. No teacher should ever, under your paradigm, be trusted with our children.

"between 1% and 5% of teachers sexually abuse or harass students"......??

apples and oranges.

Demanding 100% out of a student could be construed as 'harassment'. It has no place in the same context as sexual abuse.

If they meant sexually abuse and sexually harass....they should have the duty to specify.

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if everyone here thought like he did and was thinking of abandoning the site.
I came here thinking it was a good opportunity to speak with intelligent people about a variety of topics, but have run into several whose sanity and intelligence I have serious questions about

....I usually don't reply to the worst ones.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

The statistic is not the point. Indeed, you quoted my point, so I am not clear why you pulled out your fruit bowl, but allow me to explain it again for the obtuse.

Arguing that it is perfectly fine for teachers to pry into the private lives of parents and their children simply because there are a few parents out there who abuse their children is no different than arguing that teachers should be monitored constantly and suspiciously because there are a few teachers out there who are pedophiles. Neither argument is valid, and I offered up the statistic to refute the logical fallacy that it "is always the few who make it bad for everyone else" argument.

Tyrants come in all forms, and anyone arguing that the right to privacy no longer exists because there are a few monsters out there, is just another tyrant. All people have the right to privacy, and compulsory education laws justifying states establishing public school systems with forced curriculum is bad enough, but arguing that teachers should have the right to pry into the private lives of the families who have their children in their classes is beyond the pale. It is an argument for tyranny, and it should not be tolerated.

edit on 12-5-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The only parents outraged are the ones doing crap their not suppose to, either to their children, spouse or somethin illegal... cause I'm pretty sure most 3rd grade secrets are petty. Crushes, hate, or cheating/stealing ... stupid parents

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
The only parents outraged are the ones doing crap their not suppose to, either to their children, spouse or somethin illegal... cause I'm pretty sure most 3rd grade secrets are petty. Crushes, hate, or cheating/stealing ... stupid parents

Let's - if only for a moment - take out all the histrionics and emotional knee jerk reactions and let's just look at the word secret. A secret, by definition, is something that is kept from others, not to be known by anyone other than those who've agreed to keep the secret. Thus, when teachers are coaxing children - 3rd graders - to reveal secrets they are in fact undermining the entire purpose of a secret.

Governments aggressively prosecute people who've revealed state secrets, so let's not pretend that secrets are something that shouldn't be kept.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Oh and dont forget parents who are fed up with the indoctrination of their children......

And teachers stepping over their bounds.....

And the system of schools stepping over its bounds........

i cannot believe you dont see the problem with this or the slippery slopes we are heading down......

People need to have a little more foresight when it comes to things like this........because it all comes in steps

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
We live in different times. Back when I was in school, we use to tell our teachers how badly our parents whooped our asses the day before, and our teachers would tell us to walk it off.

I went to Catholic schools, if it wasn't our parents beating us, it was our teachers when we acted up in class.

good i hope your teacher woops your butt again haha, people like you need to find something better to do than encourage this stuff.

im sure that your going to woop your kids butt, just because someone wooped your butt when you were a kid?

that makes so much sense, just pass on the hate to the next generation

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Something like this happened about a year ago with my friends son who was taking karate classes at that time, after the days training course the karate instructor suddenly turned into a cop and told the kids to report any suspicious activity involving their parents either to their instructor, or the police.

needless to say there is one less karate student.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If anyone is surprised by the OP, they should read this book:

The Ugly Truth about America's Public Schools

It could be that your children are being asked for personal information, and to "tell" on their home life....and being told not to repeat what is being asked of them in school.
My husband and I both read the book over the winter...and let me say, it was quite enlightening.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The education system needs to be revamped from the top down. We need schools and teachers dedicated to teaching these kids the curriculum, not constantly prying into their private life, or trying to prove their skills at being a psychiatrist, or inflect their personal/political views unto the students.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Just a sneeky way to get the kids to inform on the perents.
what next? get them to take home spy camaras?

Its already happened:

School Spies Students Through Their Laptop Cameras

High School students have sued the Lower Merion School District in Philadelphia for spying on them using their laptops' built-in cameras. School administrator activated the webcams remotely and recorded students' activities at home. Way to go, KGB-wannabe assclowns.

The situation was discovered by the Robbins, when their kid was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home." How could that be possible? The Vice Principal showed a photo as the evidence. A photo taken with the school-provided laptop webcam.

Gizmodo

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Public schools are for education...and police are for policing...period!

When the state is seen as savior, and the citizen as suspicious, then you have tyranny.
Freedom REQUIRES sacrifice. If you are snug, and warm, and happy thinking the
State has your back, and privacy is coveted only by criminals, then I am not happy with you.
You are, in fact, an ignorant fool

This was ONLY seventy years ago....And Stalin practiced the same youthful indoctrinations.
If you can't recall, AND LEARN from history YOU WILL REPEAT IT....trust me (someone who
has read some history)..... it isn't pretty.

edit on 12-5-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
-Chunk

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by js331975
Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
-Chunk

fantastic. Just fantastic. Very well played!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Oh and dont forget parents who are fed up with the indoctrination of their children......

And teachers stepping over their bounds.....

And the system of schools stepping over its bounds........

i cannot believe you dont see the problem with this or the slippery slopes we are heading down......

People need to have a little more foresight when it comes to things like this........because it all comes in steps

3rd graders are not that dumb.... and its not that serious. They asked them to tell a secret, so what? The kids dont have to, they could make something up, which half of them probably did

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I just want to toss in that there is a very large difference between schools in metropolitan areas and small towns. You don't see the same kinds of corruption or the same outside control in the small towns and I prefer it that way. I've been to both and have seen both sides up close and personal. I'll take the small town any day.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I would have wrote down that
I can see dead people and that sesame street is terrifying and that
Uncle Bill always comes round when my dads out
And that i saw an image of the virgin mary on a piece of toast but the toast told me to keep it secret

Cran

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
If in 2012 you are still teaching your kids that teachers, police, and Doctors are your friends and are to be trusted then YOU are part of the problem!!!!!

You can disagree with me all you want and you know what?
I won't even bother with posting pages upon pages of links proving you wrong.

If you still think the people in positions of trust and authority are above reproach and deserve your undying loyalty and respect then I don't want to hear it WHEN this (or worse) happens to you or your kids.

So, YES!!!
I teach my kids never to trust ANYONE who hasn't earned your trust.
NO ONE just automatically gets a free 'trust and respect pass' just because of their title or degree!!!!
ESPECIALLY if you are one of the above!!!!
edit on 12-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join