It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just so You Know It's Official: Google and NSA in Bed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

The US Court of Appeals in Washington upheld a lower court decision that said the NSA need not confirm or deny any relationship with Google, because its governing statutes allow it keep such information secret.

By the deal, it becomes evident.

The ruling came in response to a Freedom of Information Act request from a public interest group, which said the public has a right to know about any spying on citizens.

Why is this so widely tolerated? I am asking myself this right now and I don't know what to say...

Google - NSA - ah, sure

I wonder why it is in the news now?

The partnership strikes at the core of one of the most sensitive issues for the government and private industry in the evolving world of cybersecurity: how to balance privacy and national security interests. On Tuesday, Director of National Intelligence Dennis C. Blair called the Google attacks, which the company acknowledged in January, a "wake-up call." Cyberspace cannot be protected, he said, without a "collaborative effort that incorporates both the U.S. private sector and our international partners."

"The critical question is: At what level will the American public be comfortable with Google sharing information with NSA?" said Ellen McCarthy, president of the Intelligence and National Security Alliance, an organization of current and former intelligence and national security officials that seeks ways to foster greater sharing of information between government and industry.

When will the people put an end to it?

ColoradoJens
edit on 11-5-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
From what I've read, that's really "small potatoes." Privacy? We have no privacy anymore. There are all kinds of ways that we can, and likely are being monitored.

Does anyone use Facebook, email accounts, cell phones, home phones, bank cards, credit cards, banking accounts...? They are all ways we can be monitored. Ah, but you might say something like "The Constitution forbids it," It sure does. Trouble is, our government hasn't given a flip about that for years.

It's actually fairly widely known that Google is "in bed with" the government.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DinkyPinky
From what I've read, that's really "small potatoes." Privacy? We have no privacy anymore. There are all kinds of ways that we can, and likely are being monitored.

Does anyone use Facebook, email accounts, cell phones, home phones, bank cards, credit cards, banking accounts...? They are all ways we can be monitored. Ah, but you might say something like "The Constitution forbids it," It sure does. Trouble is, our government hasn't given a flip about that for years.

It's actually fairly widely known that Google is "in bed with" the government.

Agreed. I wonder why the story is written as such. It seems to me that somehow by making a tie, they now have a defense against why they are one, in the public eye so to speak. The unbiquitousness of cell phones; these devices are the preferred choice of micro-chip. It is universal and serves the purpose.

CJ
edit on 11-5-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What are the chances that Google got in bed with the NSA and then got right back out? What are the chances that the NSA advised them on security matters but ignored their great masses of data, all sliced and diced and looking very attractive--including all the accidental drive-by wi-fi data they gathered?

Better question: How do you get involved with the NSA and "Don't Be Evil"? Oh wait--they changed their tagline, didn't they? I forget--what is their new tagline: "Pretend We're Doing Our Victims A Favor--Maybe They Won't Notice"?

Seriously: They called the NSA? They couldn't have called in a private security consultant to assess the damage first?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
how many people need to monitor people? I mean what does it take to analyze every single person with a pc?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

It is a wonder what computers have done to us...so obvious in the long run...

CJ

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I wonder what the NSA thinks of all these people googling Ron Paul?

(Sorry, I just had to say it, been thinking it ever since this story broke.)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I wonder what the NSA thinks of all these people googling Ron Paul?

(Sorry, I just had to say it, been thinking it ever since this story broke.)

Sad thing is, you probably know already. Database for what use? What possible use?

CJ

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Let'em read what ever I write. If someone has a plot and is stupid enough to communicate by the internet, they deserve to get caught. I understand it's a privacy thing, people want to feel secure. But we have no true privacy anymore. We are monitored six ways from Sunday every time we go shopping, go to the bank, get gas, etc.
Unless you completely unplug, it's gonna happen.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
how many people need to monitor people? I mean what does it take to analyze every single person with a pc?

It doesn't take people. It takes super computers. And they have a ton, but even one of these bad boys can keep up with the entirety of anything the net is doing. I watched a special on Nova Science now where they bragged how they had a machine that could do 14 trillion or so calculations per second. More than enough to keep up with internet traffic. Once it picks through the basic usage, it can find "alerts", and bring it to human attention. And that was literally years ago. So, it's not so much a man power issue as a computing issue, which they have well covered.
My answer to such a thing is, "who cares?" I've always believed Big Brother is watching, and I hope he does. Maybe he can learn something about moral decency.
When it breaks down to the bottom line, I'm not so worried the government is watching as much as I'm mad that those resources they use to shatter my rights could've gone to things that made the world a better place instead of a totally observed society.
Imagine if we bothered to re-direct resources used to to monitor those who have no intent to do anything but live their daily lives to improving daily lives. That's what irks me. They have the power, they have the tech. and yet they waste it on watching some poor shlup like me what sites I go to. What a waste of energy, personal and over-all mine and yours tax dollars.
The NSA, I'll say it proudly, WHAT A JOKE.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Nice little video. So funny, yet so true.

It's a sad thing that the real terrorists are so determined to make us all out as being guilty of terrorism until proven innocent. If I ever had to clear myself in court... well, I couldn't. Nor could most of us here....

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
If this isn't enough for you to start dumping google products then I don't know what is.

Google are becoming a badly corrupt-megacorp really quickly.

edit on 12-5-2012 by robhines because: added pic

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

I agree with your sentiment. Waste of tax dollars. There is so much waste we've been overwhelmed.
One question is why is google worth billions? Ad revenue? It looks like they are a small company when it comes to government contracts...

google govt contracts

CJ

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have a question. What Internet companies are not in bed with the Government? I have all of my emails, blogs...etc through Google. What else is out there there that won't sell us out at the drop of a hat?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Google is not far off absolute power. If Google and facebook ever merged we would be screwed. We would have Google all over our facebook

new topics

top topics

join