It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists explore the physics behind NOT spilling coffee

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I wonder how much they got paid,

It's all in the walk: Scientists explore the physics behind NOT spilling coffee
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Spilling coffee is a phenomenon?

Here's what they found,

The research, published in the journal Physical Review E, found that in average sized mugs the coffee’s natural frequency was the same as a person’s gait, which caused the liquid to oscillate.

The spillages were most likely between a coffee carrier’s seventh and tenth step, according to Live Science.

Following their discovery, the mechanical engineers had some advice for coffee drinkers.

They said leaving a large gap between the coffee and the top of the drinking vessel, and walking slower, prevents spillages.

They added that watching the mug, rather than the floor, while carrying it proved to be a more effective coffee-holding method.

I drink tea, tea drinkers do not spill their tea, and I have my mug filled to the very tippy top, now that is a study they should undertake, why tea drinkers have better balance.
weirdos

edit on 083131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Amazing findings!

I will sleep tonight that is for certain!

edit on 11-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: Sarcasm directed towards this amazing study and not the OP!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Seriously?

Don't fill the cup up too much? Walk slower?
Watch what I'm holding?

I would have never thought of that if it wasn't for these scientists.

I guess they haven't been informed as of yet that there are lids for coffee cups in circulation now.
I suggest not telling them yet, just let them think they actually discovered something for awhile longer.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Amazing findings!

I will sleep tonight that is for certain!

edit on 11-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: Sarcasm directed towards this amazing study and not the OP!

I am happy, sleep tight.

What does that mean anyway? Sleep tight?
Maybe scientist should study that.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
lids for coffee cups.

Erm???

Holy**** I had no idea!

I have always wanted to walk with a cup at times but I just keep spilling my Coffee!!!

This is so helpful. Its even better than the study!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Seriously?

just let them think they actually discovered something for awhile longer.

Weird aint it, I would love to know how much was spent on this study and how long it took.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I drink tea, tea drinkers do not spill their tea,

If you think tea drinkers are good, you should see beer drinkers!! I've seen guys with a flimsy plastic cup, drunk, kick an ottoman, stumble into a one handed cartwheel, smack into a wall, and slide down into a sitting position without spilling a drop! Just last week a guy at my house got tackled into the pool while carrying a bottle of MIller Lite, and not only did he hold onto it, he kept it above the waterline until he could get his feet under him and stand up! The first thing he did was take a big gulp of the beer, then gingerly set it on the side of the pool, and then tore off headhunting the guys that had pushed him.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

actually I do not need a lid.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Well its actually a rather amazing thing, ive been going around saying "sleep tight" for years and only today have I realised that it actually means. Sleep without your spouse stealing your covers!

To combat this problem use the elbow or pimp hand on your significant other if they steal your covers

edit on 11-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I drink tea, tea drinkers do not spill their tea,

If you think tea drinkers are good, you should see beer drinkers!! I've seen guys with a flimsy plastic cup, drunk, kick an ottoman, stumble into a one handed cartwheel, smack into a wall, and slide down into a sitting position without spilling a drop! Just last week a guy at my house got tackled into the pool while carrying a bottle of MIller Lite, and not only did he hold onto it, he kept it above the waterline until he could get his feet under him and stand up! The first thing he did was take a big gulp of the beer, then gingerly set it on the side of the pool, and then tore off headhunting the guys that had pushed him.

I believe it, that's hilarious,

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

To be fair, this applies to all beverages, even alcoholic ones. So.... good work?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Sleep without your spouse stealing your covers!

Are you sure?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

To be fair, this applies to all beverages, even alcoholic ones. So.... good work?

Hallelujah

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Are you sure?

Now you have me researching google, referencing youtube videos and even bringing articles up about the boogeyman!

I can see a thread coming up on this actually!

Those evil Modulators will probably just stick it in BTS thought

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Are you sure?

Now you have me researching google, referencing youtube videos and even bringing articles up about the boogeyman!

I can see a thread coming up on this actually!

Cool, what did you find?

I bet I can find it first.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
It means to sleep soundly, and you cannot sleep soundly if bead bugs are biting.

So I hear

But you know how Google is , we prolly will find a dozen different answer then fight about who is right.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Well its actually a rather amazing thing, ive been going around saying "sleep tight" for years and only today have I realised that it actually means. Sleep without your spouse stealing your covers!

To combat this problem use the elbow or pimp hand on your significant other if they steal your covers

According to this interesting article on The Straight Dope, the author claims that the Oxford English Dictionary says quote: "It seems that tight in this expression is the equivalent of the only surviving use of the adverb tightly meaning 'soundly, properly, well, effectively'."

Also the other explanation given is based upon the materials and methods used to construct beds historically.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
It mean to sleep soundly, and you cannot sleep soundly if bead bugs are biting.

So I hear

I was being slightly sarcastic in what ive posted just in case its not come across.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

According to this interesting article on The Straight Dope, the author claims that the Oxford English Dictionary says quote: "It seems that tight in this expression is the equivalent of the only surviving use of the adverb tightly meaning 'soundly, properly, well, effectively'."

Also the other explanation given is based upon the materials and methods used to construct beds historically.

I got to "The Straight Dope" and I think ill wet the bed tonight with laughter.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Anyway, in order to sleep well, the "mattress" couldn't sag, so the bed had to be "tight." (And free of bed bugs, but I thought that went without saying.)

I'll be darn aint that something.

And in the morning you need coffee.

You know I have a lot of weird words that came from my Appalachian family, my daughter looks at me and says, what the heck does that mean.

Like Cattywompas

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join