It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
How the hell did this thread get to the top of the list? Did they kick off all the interesting people on this forum? ATS has turned out to be such a joke of a forum. I guess I'll relocate my ass to topix. Maybe I'll be able to find some stimulating discussions there, like "who's the biggest whore in my town?", or "whats better? ketchup or mustard?"
Sheesh!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dear GOD I'm glad I read this thread! Now when the SHTF I know I better not eat those darn Ramen Noodles.

I see myself now slapping a hot bowl of that poison out of a starving child's hands and screaming, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT CRAPS DEEP FRIED????"

I see myself in my bunker, slowly starving to death with plenty of water and my stacks of Ramen noodles keeping me company, but nothing to eat for miles around.

The economy has collapsed, the camps are rampant and I'll be walking down the isolated streets wearing a signboard that reads, "DON'T EAT THE RAMEN!!!!"

Noodles are noodles to the hungry, regardless of how they are made.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
How the hell did this thread get to the top of the list? Did they kick off all the interesting people on this forum? ATS has turned out to be such a joke of a forum. I guess I'll relocate my ass to topix. Maybe I'll be able to find some stimulating discussions there, like "who's the biggest whore in my town?", or "whats better? ketchup or mustard?"
Sheesh!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Sheesh!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WarCry

What. Is. Wrong. With. You.

I swear, we live in the House Of Ramen. Ra-men. Raaaaaamen. You don't get it do you? Ra was an egyptian sun god. Men are hard to find. Are you seeing the correlation here? One day I took a walk in the sun and was like, dang, I need to add some fresh sprouts to my Ramen. And then I met a man and cooked for him, all the while we were being cheered on by my really immature never gets any roommates. I just don't get why you would leave.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

No need to slap hands. Hold hands.

This whole idea of bunkers and survival has me in tears. I can't stop laughing. Simply, anyone with any kind of real understanding of how things work around here wouldn't be so entirely hopeful. A friend of mine whose father actually is some sort of scholar and who wrote a book on the subject - had researched this - and I am just not that interested in remembering who or what book, but I read some of it, and it's pretty spot on. Basically if the wheels of society stopped grinding it would take about 30 days for every tree plant animal fish to be eaten as our Kilocalorie requirements are stupendous. Something like acres and acres of land to grow enough food for one person, and about 10 percent of land is available compared to what is needed to grow food. But that would take years and years to get up and running. If some disaster stopped the flow of corn feed from here, to this far away country, to run their economy so they can send back Walmart fares, which keep farmwives feeding their husbands who then chop up some alfalfa and around again - it would basically halt humanity dead stop in like, a month. No use trying, and this is why I wear high heels and listen to dubstep.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I prefer udon myself.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
After reading the nutrition info, one should ONLY eat this in SHTF scenario. 1236mg sodium (62%) is a heck of a lot of salt. Helloooo high blood pressure! And I thought Nalley's chili was bad.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I would advise anyone buying such noodles to check the ingredients. Most of the ramen noodles sold around here contain MSG. MSG also has many different names, make yourself aware of them and know what you're buying.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by Merlin Lawndart

Do they even make lawndarts anymore?

Adults are sacrificed on the altar of children. I miss the old days.

Kitsune udon!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ramen Salad Recipes:

Oil soaked Ramen Noodles added to salad-

The Basic Ramen Coleslaw with Vinegar+Oil+Sugar Dressing

You can make this popular ramen noodle salad with either cabbage or broccoli slaw. This is one of the most popular ramen noodle salad recipes in circulation. It's perfect for a potluck or picnic, because it contains no dairy products and will stay fresh.

Some of the recipes I've found use more oil. Overnight, the noodles will soak up the liquid, and to me, too much oil makes the salad...well, oily.
1/2 cup oil (some recipes call for up to 2/3 cup)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
seasoning packet from ramen noodles
1 pkg. broccoli slaw mix
1 cup sliced almonds
2 pkg. chicken ramen noodles (broken up)
Mix oil, sugar and vinegar. In large bowl, mix together broccoli mix, almonds and broken ramen noodles. Add dressing and toss. Let stand for a few hours.
Source

Ramen noodles are a good bread cubes/croûton substitute for salads as well as added ingredient:
Uncooked Ramen Noodles added-

Ramen Potluck Salad

COMBINE:
4 pkg. uncooked Ramen in bite-sized pieces
2 pounds imitation crabmeat cut up in bite-sized pieces
6 stalks celery, diced
1 bunch green onions, diced
12 chopped hard-boiled eggs
1 tsp. celery seeds
2 Tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

IN A SEPARATE BOWL, MIX:
2 cups mayonnaise
2 flavor pkts.
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
3 cups milk

Mix well and pour over the other mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. Stir and serve.
Source

Cooked noodles-

Broccoli and Ramen Noodle Salad

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
2 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar

Directions
In a large salad bowl, combine the slaw, broken noodles and green onions.
Whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar and ramen seasoning packets. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate until chilled; top with peanuts and sunflower seeds before serving.
Source

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
After reading the nutrition info, one should ONLY eat this in SHTF scenario. 1236mg sodium (62%) is a heck of a lot of salt. Helloooo high blood pressure! And I thought Nalley's chili was bad.

What you have to understand is most of that sodium is located inside the seasonings packet, not the noodles. Like I mentioned before, you can use just a bit of the seasonings packet, but mix in some curry powder, fresh garlic, green onions and olive oil or butter as well. Also any veggies you like, but if you have none it still tastes great anyway. I mean, when you're very hungry, anything tastes great. Well, almost anything.

Yuh know, I eat Ramen noodles alot while backpacking, but I also take Mountain House freeze dried meals which are top of the line and are really, really good. I got a couple cases of the stuff, though expensive. The thing is, I sometimes crave the ramen over the very good freeze dried meals that contain veggies, meat and all the vitamins one could need. It's not the sodium either, because the freeze dried meals contain sometimes more than any ramen packet does.

Honestly, I just like me some good top ramen every now and then, but I am sure it can't be very good for us to regularly consume on a daily basis. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarCry
Sheesh!!!!!

What? It's been a fun subject. Some of us enjoy a break from the norm, grouchy much? Or maybe very, very bored that you need to add some negativity to a positive discussion? Yep, seems that way. So, The subject of ramen noodles is a very important one, or could end up being. What exactly is your major malfunction guy? I mean, Judging by the number of posts that you have, you clearly have not contributed anything whatsoever other than this drivel here to this great website.

So you don't like the subject of the thread eh? Then move on to your hero website or another that floats your sinking boat. If that is not enough, then may I suggest a few fish oils, a cold shower and then a long walk out of ATS for good? Surely you will be missed by us all. Isn't this the response that you wished for anyway though? Good then, now leave like you said that you were going to do. Otherwise, stay and shut your pie hole about what members post. The owners and Mods of ATS decide what is posted and discussed here, not some fly by night poster.
~$heopleNation

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I don't like the bad name that many people give to the noodles. It is kind of ridiculous in my opinion and as many people said, the main bad part comes from the sodium content which lies solely in the seasoning.

I buy my ramen on sale in 12 packs for 3.00. While I still use the seasoning packets, when I am thinking health conscious, I also have Herbox no sodium bullion on hand that is pretty much identical to anything you will get with normal block ramen packets. Spice with whatever then to your delight, personally, A LOT OF PEPPER.

Maruchan and Nissin Top block noodles are the top two in my area. I think they are much tastier then the bowl varieties when it comes to seasoning and preparedness. Nissin definitely is the better brand and seemingly a little bit more healthier, but you have to be careful when shopping because the packs are almost identical in color and appearance.

I could survive, if I had to, on 3-4 blocks of ramen a day, a multivitamin, and a protein shake. Cut the protein shake and thrown in a meat source or other source of protein and in a survival situation, you are looking at CHEAP, minimalist, guaranteed living for your body. And yes, when it comes to survival, it will be the deep fried noodles that you want for energy and the fat content they contain.
edit on 12-5-2012 by gwydionblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by kdog1982
Thanks for the very informative post!
Guess I need to rethink my supply of ramen noodles in my shtf box I have.
It's just a 12 packer,just something extra.

I only eat ramen during a hurricane. Or certain Ramen holidays.

LOL..How's it going Kdog???

Hey,Karen,it's going,been working to much,but it's going.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I wouldn't feed that stuff to a corpse.

more]
I hope none of us have to find out about that.

But 5 cases is on my list of essentials

Same here. I buy mine by the case from a Vietnamese market locally, They're made in Thailand, and since I can't read Thai, I don't have any concerns of making myself nuts (and cross-eyed) by trying to read the ingredient listing.

It's a win-win!

I think I'll run out and get a case of the American-made variety, too, for the zombies mentioned above. Throw 2 or 3 packs on the ground, and while the zombies are busy trying to read the ingredients to see if they want to eat them, you can run, run away!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
ramen noodles are not a good source of vitamins etc. Not good for you either... Better off buying cans of tuna, or if your really smart get cases of MRE's....

2nd thing you have to figure.. When the SHTF its just not going to be that easy to be just eating ramen noodles....

edit on 12-5-2012 by Obl1vion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
All this time on ATS, I didnt think there could be such a thing as an in depth Ramen Noodle thread.....but alas here it is. I will try the OP's recommended noodles though.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

South Korea is a little too close to Fukushima for my liking. Great thread though and those noodles look tasty.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Dude - is that your real head?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join