It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Why not learn to make your OWN Noodles considering you are all talking survival ?

FFS

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somamech
Why not learn to make your OWN Noodles considering you are all talking survival?

Why not build your own firearm as well? Maybe because people won't have the time to be making noodles, atleast most people. You gotta defend what you got, you gotta boil water. Maybe you gotta tend to your crops or skin and dry some meat. Who know's. My guess is that you somehow need power to make noodles correctly, but I could be wrong about that. All you need is a fire, water and a pot to make some Ramen. I think if you had a large enough group, then someone in the know I suppose could be making them, or baking some cookies.
~$heopleNation

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Why not learn to make your OWN Noodles considering you are all talking survival ?

FFS

I suppose it is about having a supply of cheap food in the event of a natural disaster that may not happen. So the issues to be considered are;

long shelf life
affordability and bulk buying
ease of preparation
transportability
moral boasting tastiness

Part of have a good stores room is cycling through it. As you eat the older food stuffs, you buy some more so you will always have a supply.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ok so my solution was this. I m do make my own! It is a very simple egg and flour dough. They are fried because otherwise the texture is not enjoyable, but i fry them in Grape Seed Oil which is available at any health food or natural grocer (hi in omega 3 with none of the bad crap associated with other oils). I dry them in slow oven on a drain rack to remove all excess oil and and package them with home made dehydrated flavoring (stock, soup), dried vegetables, dried meat and dried fish (all local and organic or from my garden). I use a device called a Food Saver (a home vacuum packing machine that costs about 100 bucks) to pack em up and they keep as well as any other dehydrated meal for less money and with a much better nutritional value. Yes this does take time and effort but the reward in the long run is well worth it. If anyone wants the recipe send me a message and I'll get it to you. HAPPY NOODLING!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have to admit i rarely eat ramen noodles, but when i do i eat like four or five packages at a time.
I'm a very physicaly active person and i am constantly working out both cardiovascular and weight lifting.
Hopefully those ramen noodles aren't doing too much damage to my body.

edit on 12-5-2012 by JoBee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Thanks for the very informative post!
Guess I need to rethink my supply of ramen noodles in my shtf box I have.
It's just a 12 packer,just something extra.

I only eat ramen during a hurricane. Or certain Ramen holidays.

LOL..How's it going Kdog???

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Myself I enjoy ramen with cream of chicken soup (undiluted) and Alfredo sauce. It creates a creamy chicken cheese flavored meal for less than a buck.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
thanks for the reminder S&F
putting an egg in it is a great idea and make the perfect meal
of course its not the best food in town and you get tired of it .. but it will make you live
the ramen bol soup is perfect for case of emergency
now im gonna buy a lot tomorrow
practical to have at least a dozen in your home
bought some a few yrs ago .. they are ok
didnt think to buy more
they are cheap and its dry food
can be good for a long time

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In our normal day to day lives, I agree, they're not good for you. As far as food in time of little or none? They are better than nothing, in fact if they cause the body to store as fat, that maybe ideal in a low calorie future of whatever may come. I am a vegetarian in this life now, but I have preps of long lasting meals that are meat or made with meat. I also am prepared (at least the hardware) to hunt. What I'm saying is depending on how bad it gets, we may have to reevaluate what's "good and bad for us."
So in essence I agree with the O.P. but I have heard of people boiling show leather in hard times...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

As I told my sister once, the s* better hit the fan soon or I'll have that crap to eat for months to come !!!!

sorry to bust ur bubble but they do expire haha

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If you knew how half your food was put together and what it did to your body you would starve to death....hate to say it but in these days the good stuff isn't good anymore.

I like Raman noddles just as much as I like all the other crappy stuff however, I do think Raman might go on my list right under hot pockets anad bacon

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The US's Cheap oodles of noodles type brands are the worst thing ever to eat.
People let their kids eat them thinking it's all good but it contains all the dietary fat (100%) for a teen and 2-3x the normal 100% of Sodium which will cause a normal THIN teen to have high blood pressure by the age of 15 which is rediculous!
Of course people in prison think they are the "#" and add cans of tuna fish, tons of mayo, relish and whatever else that is fattening and salty to create what they call a "Hook up" which I guess loads them up with enough fats, starches and salt to give them a heart attack if they didn't go to sleep right after eating it!
Ask anyone you've known who was in jail or prison about a "Hook up" and see what they've put in it!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

FFS

The food I stockpiled for my preparedness kit is only there for those times when game is scarce or I can't hunt for whatever reason.

I don't have any Ramen because it's mostly air and there is little nutritional value.

Sardines takes up 1/4th the space and have 20 x's the nutritional value over Ramen. Sardines keep for years, decades even, and they're cheap.

The early settlers ate a lot of rabbits, and they ended up in tough shape because rabbits have no fat. So I have around 500 cans of sardines in the RV in case we end up having to live on wild game. A can of sardines a week will be enough to keep your fats up if you aren't getting them in your diet,

My other canned item is canned deviled ham. You can buy it at Menards for .99 a can on sale. I must have 200 cans of that suff.

edit on 12-5-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

ever read any books on the mountain men, wild game you are apt to come into will not have the fat content your body will need for prolonged nutrition,,,,besides informative they are pretty crazy stories about what they did to survive, which most didnt, by the way.

think twice about carbs
edit on 12-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Fried food doesn't just harm your liver, it makes you break out, unless you are a big person, or have a tendency to store fat.

Fried food and sugar will cause all kinds of "cosmetic problems," which include breaking out, changing your skin complexion for the worse, making your nose grow, and making you fat. This is why fastfood is so bad.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There is virtually NO nutritional value in Ramen noodles and they are loaded with sodium.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by axslinger
There is virtually NO nutritional value in Ramen noodles and they are loaded with sodium.

Well i don't think the main purpose of ramen noodles is to provide healthy, balanced nutrition

But eating noodles is still better than starving, right?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath
OK, I admit it. I am mad for ramen noodles but sadly I had to cut when I found out they are deep fried and most Chinese people would not touch them....

Having sampled dozens of instant noodles from Britain's Bachelors Noodles to various Japanese interpretations and even a Zanzibar hand extruded noodles, I have conclude that the South Korean Nong Shim noodles the best. Nong Shim Shin Ramyun comes with a seasoning packet and a packet of dehydrated vegetables. These noodles are not deep fried, they are very white, al dente in texture, and the dish is nicely spiced.

I love Shin Ramyun too, even though they're DEEP-FRIED like the rest of 'em. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

"After stretching, strands of noodles with about 43% moisture are conveyed through a steam tunnel, where they are cooked before entering a steam-fired palm-oil fryer."

www.foodprocessing-technology.com...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hey! I LOVE "Shin Bowl" ramen! After trying it, I can't go back to Cup Noodles anymore. It really is different from those other instant ramens.

I'll keep this in mind if and when ramen is on my shopping list next.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How the hell did this thread get to the top of the list? Did they kick off all the interesting people on this forum? ATS has turned out to be such a joke of a forum. I guess I'll relocate my ass to topix. Maybe I'll be able to find some stimulating discussions there, like "who's the biggest whore in my town?", or "whats better? ketchup or mustard?"
Sheesh!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join