It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
And now I am craving ramen. They sell OPs brand at 7-11 around here. Ill have to try it. I have ahuge cup o noodle problem. Stuff is so bad for you, the sodium in one is 33% daily value. Awesome thread and I kinda have a crush on noodle girl.

I am a noodles addict too. Lately at work, I would drift away and have flash back about a nice bowl of noodles.

Boy, I got to start working on my own low salt broth.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Hell yeah!! Noodle cups will be the staples of Armageddon!!

They are awesome

Although a little bulky to carry or hold in large quantity but... as soon as TSHF I am heading to my nearest Costco with a semi-trailer

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pladuim
Noodle fans should try making their own.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Pladuim

Where can i get on a dough rustling class! It is more difficult than juggling.

In wonder how many years you need to practice to do that?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
And what you probably don't know is that there's an instant ramen museum in Osaka, Japan, where they were invented.
Instant Ramen Museum

Instant Ramen Museum review

You even get to make your own.

My kids enjoyed it

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
That was awesome! I love watching videos of how things are made. I just showed my son the Sesame Street one.

I always liked Ramen but the ingredients in the common 20 cent pack ones are frightening. My mom found a healthy version in the health food store that is very tasty. I will try to find the name and post it, but it sounds like the whiter noodles you are talking about.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I used to love Ramen noodles (and other types of just add hot water type noodles).

Then one day I noticed the sodium content.
Did math
stopped eating packaged noodles...something about having a quadruple bypass in 10 years that doesn't sound overly appealing.

You want a challenge...try to find a low sodium diet...make it 1500mg a day or less.

And they wonder why heart disease is rampant.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You can actually take low sodium to an extreme.
I did and it lead to stroke like complications.
My doctor tried to prescribe a medication for the condition, I asked if my low sodium could be fixed by just upping my intake...
Guess which route I took.

More toward the OP, I used to hate these as I had ate them sooooo much.
Nowadays, they are a treat for me.
I cook them with ABSOLUTE minimum water so I get a bowl of noodles and no broth.
Try it that way as it rocks.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by SaturnFX

You can actually take low sodium to an extreme.
I did and it lead to stroke like complications.
My doctor tried to prescribe a medication for the condition, I asked if my low sodium could be fixed by just upping my intake...
Guess which route I took.

More toward the OP, I used to hate these as I had ate them sooooo much.
Nowadays, they are a treat for me.
I cook them with ABSOLUTE minimum water so I get a bowl of noodles and no broth.
Try it that way as it rocks.

Oh, I agree, you can't go without salt..we need some, but thing is, some noodle bowls have like 90% of your daily allowance in a single serving (well, they say its 2 servings in one of those bowls..pfft...like eating about 16 chips in a big bag of chips..never happens). You add that with other things, such as bread, food later on, etc etc etc and you find its easy to go like 3 to 4 times over the allowance in a day..that will catch up with you and quick.

High salt days now and then...sure, thats fine...anything in moderation, just saying don't make a big bowl of processed dry noodles and their salt packs part of your daily lunching habits.

eat a carrot people, it won't kill you!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think it is funny how people want to have diet food for survival food. You need the opposite. You need deep fried noodles. Your body will want the fat when you are starving. Your body will want the salt. You will give anything for a big chunk of fat. All the foods you avoided when you dieted, you will want them.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Good thread op.

I was wanting to add Ramen to my storage items and was looking at the ingredients at a major warehouse store a week ago and just couldn't bring myself to buy them even at the dirt cheap cost. The laundry list of chemicals in the flavor packet are horrendous, but the MSG sealed the deal for me. That stuff gives me headaches big time. I know I could throw the packet out and flavor the noodles in other ways but that seemed to kinda defeat the purpose of buying a ready to eat emergency item.

Good idea about checking out the local Asian markets, I think I'll do that today. I needed an excuse to get some good Asian hot sauce anyway. Any recommendations on a good one folks?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Apart from excessive salt, watchout for wax. Some noodles type took 2 3 days to discharge from the body. The wax is supposed to avoid the noodles from sticking, look better, last longer etc etc. Cook without the seasoning and discard the oil and water that seeps out from the noodles. Years ago its the only staple, now I cant anymore.
Nowdays, even a pack and I will get sort of laxative effect, pretty tasty way for "system cleanup" eh ? I'll go make myself a bowl then. Yummy for my tummy and later... runny.
Instant noodles - its fast, taste great, never good

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I'm not a fan of Ramen noodles, but we have a really cheap brand here in the UK called KOKA (I think) and I buy these by the box as I eat noodles every couple of days. So yummy!
Slightly OT, I also have loads of porridge oats in storage as I (as a Scotsman) can't be without my porridge.

Rev

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Nothing better than a bowl of hot milky porridge in a cold winter's day. A dollop of honey helps too.

I will stock up on Tesco's own brand porridge and jars of honey. An un-open jar of honey will last for years but may crystallise.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath
reply to post by revmoofoo

Nothing better than a bowl of hot milky porridge in a cold winter's day. A dollop of honey helps too.

I will stock up on Tesco's own brand porridge and jars of honey. An un-open jar of honey will last for years but may crystallise.

If you live near a CoOp then try their oats as they're both cheap and yummy. Probably the best budget oats I've tried actually. I make my porridge with water. I know it sounds disgusting, but when I'm out in the field, I have to make it with water and I just got in to the habit. I wouldn't have it with milk now.

Rev

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Scotsman, would you be willing to share exactly your recipe for porridge? I'm American and I hate oatmeal and I'm wondering what my mother did wrong all those years ago...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I see you got all your noodles in order. My noodle reserves got depleted a while back.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I put my porridge oats in a bowl, add a little sugar and then the water. Zap it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes (depending how tick you want it to be) and you're done.

A nicer way to make it is to pop it in a bowl, add milk instead of water, Zap in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes (again depending how tick you want it to be) and at the end add, Jam, Honey or Golden Syrup and maybe a little cinnamon. Also try cutting a banana in to the finished product, that's quite yummy too.

Just don't do it the way my mother used to and add salt to it.

Hope this helps.

Rev

edit on 12/5/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I use the high fiber spagetti noodles (I got a ton free with coupons!) and I used them to make some Lo Mein. You just cook the noodles, then put them in the oven to dry out a tad. Mix with soy sauce, bit of brown sugar, fish sauce, you know, basic Chinese seasonings, then but in a bit of stir fried meat and veggies like carrots, onions, cabbage.

Freezes really well.
Not a big fan of Ramen, but I like Lo Mein.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Nong Shim spicy ramen is the only brand I eat actually - it's great stuff. Just add an egg while cooking near the end, some frozen peas, plenty of hot powder or dried peppers.. and voila - an amazingly filling meal.

They eat a ton of the stuff in Japan. I ate a ton of Ramyun when in Korea. The Korean girls would giggle at me as I poured in tons of hot peppers and ate with chopsticks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join