It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath
reply to post by tkwasny

Caffeine and carbs are going to keep you going for hours. Marathon runners have this diet but they have tastier carbs.

It's like a lit solid rocket booster. When your young (not me, the cadets) your liver works well and can take the abuse for awhile with this invasive combo.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I wouldn't feed that stuff to a corpse.

more]
I hope none of us have to find out about that.

But 5 cases is on my list of essentials

Get the good stuff, smoked meats and dehydrate some vegetables. Also you might like to add a couple of tablespoons of quinoa in each serving to vary the texture and to add protein to the meal.

These foods, along with grains like quinoa, omega rich nuts, dried fruits and vegetables last a very long time especially if they are packed and stored well.

Bear this in mind; if the SHTF in a big way and you feeding yourself well, those who are starving will know you have food by the way you look. The authorities will probably confiscate food for redistribution in the worst case scenario.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Great thread! Believe it or not I have wondered about these noodles....
I saw a video not too long ago showing the way gatorade and ramen
noodles digest. It was pretty nasty and looked none too healthy.
Perhaps they were talking about deep fried noodles then? Don't
know for sure but I wanted to stock up on noodles because they
are cheap, until I saw that video. So maybe now I'll check out these
Nong Shim noodles. It looks like they are a better alternative.
I never knew there was so much to learn about noodles. Thanks OP!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
That's about what we are being reduced to. For the last couple of months I've essentially lived off of nothing but noodles and pasta sauce. That's about all I can afford.It's going to get worse. I know.

Sorry to hear that. I had a tough time when I was a student so I became a s.o.b about hustling for money and survived to graduate. But then again, I only had to look after myself.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I haven't met too many people who don't like a sloppy floppy noodle in their lips

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
Great thread! Believe it or not I have wondered about these noodles....
I saw a video not too long ago showing the way gatorade and ramen
noodles digest. It was pretty nasty and looked none too healthy.
Perhaps they were talking about deep fried noodles then? Don't
know for sure but I wanted to stock up on noodles because they
are cheap, until I saw that video. So maybe now I'll check out these
Nong Shim noodles. It looks like they are a better alternative.
I never knew there was so much to learn about noodles. Thanks OP!

Avoid the horrible and cheap deep fried noodles.

Definitely try instant noodles the Asians buy from the Chinese and Japanese shops.

These days I am quite hesitant about buying Japanese food stuffs though.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Bear this in mind; if the SHTF in a big way and you feeding yourself well, those who are starving will know you have food by the way you look. The authorities will probably confiscate food for redistribution in the worst case scenario.

These are things that need to be addressed in advanced prepping. Most likely we will never come to a day when our friends and neighbors are starving while we still have supplies. Most of our prepping is for short-term use like hurricanes, snow-storms, etc. There is a chance of a long-term emergency like power outtages or economic break-down, but in those cases we will likely be communicating and cooperating with our friends and neighbors to survive.

What you speak of is a different story altogether. Kind of a zombie apocalypse scenario where it is every man for himself. In this scenario it is important to not venture out of your secure area very often, and not be too charitable with your supplies, and assume every uninvited wayfarer is an enemy and catch them well-outside your compound and either kill and eat them, or send them on their way without ever garnering much detail about your situation or your exact location. It is also important to have alliances with like-minded preppers in your area, and have early warning systems, and have redundant systems for hiding your stash of food and bullets. This goes way beyond prepping and into fanatical territory, but it is worth thinking about if the rest of your plan is already solid.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

These are things that need to be addressed in advanced prepping. Most likely we will never come to a day when our friends and neighbors are starving while we still have supplies.

thats the reason I will bug out. I will refuse to be responsible for friends and family are away and do not believe. Separation first, even isolation for security then I will mingle in...

getting away from the onslaught of madness might save your life.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Some are missing the OPs point. What I gleaned from it is that we might better start getting used to less and smaller portions.

1) Crops are not producing as they once were.
2) Have you looked at the price of food at your local stores lately?

It's not going to get better for a while. So, just keep that in mind.

The other thing to consider is to grow your own vegetables. You don't have to have a large garden and it can be low maintenance growing. Some people grow vegetables in a small yard, balcony and their window cills. Mind you, make sure the pots are tied down.

edit on 11-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I wouldn't feed that stuff to a corpse.

more]
I hope none of us have to find out about that.

But 5 cases is on my list of essentials

Get the good stuff, smoked meats and dehydrate some vegetables. Also you might like to add a couple of tablespoons of quinoa in each serving to vary the texture and to add protein to the meal.

These foods, along with grains like quinoa, omega rich nuts, dried fruits and vegetables last a very long time especially if they are packed and stored well.

Thats why God made all men equal with Colt .45
wait a minute, God made mankind
Sam Colt Made them equal
edit on 11-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

It's not about calories though, it's about the ingredients and their effects on the body.

In a pinch, if TSHTF scenario, I think I'll hitch a ride to an un-nuked country before subjecting myself to 98% toxicity for nutrition. I have food stored, some with HFCS and other preservatives. That's bad enough as it is, but it's about survival at that point.

ETA- at that point, I think bugs might be more nutritional, really.

edit on 11-5-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

That would be your diet after a few days after TSHTF, my dear, bugs and dead dogs.
Even later you would look longingly at your surviving pals as they would look toward you in the same fashion.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
And now I am craving ramen. They sell OPs brand at 7-11 around here. Ill have to try it. I have ahuge cup o noodle problem. Stuff is so bad for you, the sodium in one is 33% daily value. Awesome thread and I kinda have a crush on noodle girl.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Make the noodles with only half the spice packet. Then, pour off the broth into a coffee mug and pour the noodles into a skillet with a layer of olive oil already coating the skillet. Break 2 or 3 eggs into the skillet (I only use 1 yolk), fresh onions or dehydrated onion bits. Stir fry it a till the egg is cooked, then add 2 or 3 slices of American Cheese and let it melt. Scoop it onto a plate, sprinkle the other half of the spice packet over the concoction with a little salt and pepper. Jalapeno's on the side of the plate, sip the broth and eat the stir fry!

That is a very nice $2 meal!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

yummm!!!
yummm!!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

You sound like an experienced starving student.

Back when I was a starving student,when I went back home to the farm,my mom loaded me up with pork from the freezer.
And toast goes a long ways also.

Just the basic carbs to keep you going till the next opportunistic protein based meal,ya know.

It was just today I was grilling out some brats and dogs,when I heard a noise behind my pool.
It was a nice size doe,white tail deer in the dogs kennel eating some mulberries.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Nice! I actually just had those exact noodles lately

I got it (and other tasty noodles) from some big asian food supermarket in south london, better than western noodles for sure.

I'll go there again soon and I'll update this thread on my favourite noodles.

p.s I've always wanted to try proper korean food, never had the chance, every time I watch a korean drama they are always eating tasty looking food.

edit on 11-5-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
lol I haven't had noodles in a while although after the massive amount I ate in college I'm sure my body is still processing them. I might have to try the coffee and ramen thing before work though (12-13hr shifts can be rough)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Back when I was a starving student,when I went back home to the farm,my mom loaded me up with pork from the freezer.
And toast goes a long ways also.

Toast definitely goes a long way. Really, the starving student grocery list consists of bread, noodles, peanut butter, eggs, cheese, and beer! During really good weeks I bought jelly and milk, LOL!

I have a friend that used to get canned goods in the mail from his grandmother.
It surely cost more to mail them than it did to buy them, but I think she was afraid to send any money because she knew it would go to beer, so instead she mailed him canned vegetables to make sure he was eating right. Now that is a loving grandma.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Having lived on a tight budget for a long time, I have lived on lunch of ramen for a good while. I try to only eat it a few times a week, sometimes avoiding it at all if I can, but not at all for the reasons anyone listed. I seem to have a difference of opinion as to the contents.

When it comes to the contents of the ramen I eat, which is indeed cheap (don't know if deep fried or not), the only thing which seems unhealthy to me is the sodium content of the flavor packets, which is absolutely ridiculous. I have taken it upon myself to buy my own bullion at times, sodium free, and that provides a healthier alternative. The noodles themselves have little to no salt content.

I don't know what all the hubub is about flavoring and dolling everything up, chicken and beef bullion flavor is all I need for a tasty meal, and it never gets old. Sometimes I like a lot of water to make a nice tasty broth to drink after, sometimes I drain it to make nice flavorful noodles. Either way, pepper is key.

Compared to everything else in the diet these days - ramen is on the top of the food line for me. Why? Because it is lacking in one of my most hated ingredients out there - high fructose corn syrup. Make that any corn syrup at all. I try to avoid the stuff at all costs and ramen is a tasty meal that can allow me to do that and, so long as you watch the sodium, I have seen, nor heard from my doctors, no adverse effects from my ritualistic eating of them and trust me - there have been weeks where 3 meals a day, 7 days a week have been ramen. Sometimes in a pinch, that is the best one can do.

Personally, it will always be a big storable for me. Unlimited ramen with a nice multivitamin and you are good to go for a long, long time.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Very good point. I have been worried about the salt content so I only use half the supplied flavouring. I think I will experiment with salt free bullion. Thanks
edit on 12-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join