It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OK, I admit it. I am mad for ramen noodles but sadly I had to cut when I found out they are deep fried and most Chinese people would not touch them. They believe it to be bad for their liver. I suppose the useless calorie content of deep fried carbohydrates would cause a build of visceral fat in the body and the first place this would happen is in the liver.

I have also been doing a bit of research on ramen noodle manufacturing processes and I have discovered four interesting things;

> There are different techniques in manufacturing instant noodles
> Asians do not eat the ramen we get in the West because they see it as an inferior product
> There are high quality and inexpensive ramen instant noodles that are not deep fried in every Japanese and Chinese food supermarket I have been.
> Instant noodles are manufactured around the world.

Having sampled dozens of instant noodles from Britain's Bachelors Noodles to various Japanese interpretations and even a Zanzibar hand extruded noodles, I have conclude that the South Korean Nong Shim noodles the best. Nong Shim Shin Ramyun comes with a seasoning packet and a packet of dehydrated vegetables. These noodles are not deep fried, they are very white, al dente in texture, and the dish is nicely spiced.

Here is a nice little ditty I listen to when I slurp my Shin Ramyun;

Here is how you can prepare an egg Shim Ramyun;

Here are links to videos on Youtube showing the different ways of manufacturing noodles from around the world.

edit on 11-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yeah, I have alot of Ramen noodles but more importantly I have way more bullets than Ramen noodles. You can have noodles and guns, but it's the bullets that matter.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I can't believe you made an entire "noodle thread!" And I can't believe you found all those videos to go with it, and had an opinion on all the possible instant noodle options out there. WOW!

I liked the little ditty by the way.

Star and Flag from me, I will have to start looking for the noodles you suggested. Ramen Noodles for me are just a basic means for emergency, and an occasional treat stir-fried with some egg, cheese, and jalapenos. BUT, if one brand is superior over another, then I'm happy to switch. Thanks for the info!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I am sick of Ramen....

sometimes I'll put an egg in it while it boils

or frozen veggies

or cheese

or hot sauce

yeah i'm sick of it

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the very informative post!
Guess I need to rethink my supply of ramen noodles in my shtf box I have.
It's just a 12 packer,just something extra.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Off topic - Well, if there ever was an award for a thread on Ramen noodles...you'd be the all time champion !!

On topic - Yes, I have an amazing supply of Ramen noodles and Mr. Noodles.

As I told my sister once, the s* better hit the fan soon or I'll have that crap to eat for months to come !!!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Sorry I didn't go through all your videos, I'm just commenting on ramen.

Are we talking about the same $0.10 Top Ramen noodles in the market?

I hope not, reading the ingredients put me to sleep in the market, like a long bedtime fairy tale of Nazi eugenics love kisses and hugs. It's exhausting, and when I'm done, I can''t remember reading about any "food" in the ingredients.

I wouldn't feed that stuff to a corpse.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Thanks for the encouragement !

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

As soon as I read the ingrendients I shudder. I wouldn't pay to have that crap in my body unless there was a disaster and there was no other option.

I've never met anyone so in love with noodles before until now. Impressive thread on noodles. I can honestly say that I don't think anyone has ever done that before.

Too funny.

link   

Hey, for now you can afford to be picky, but for survival picky isn't an option. When you look at calories per dollar you just can't beat noodles. Everyone should have some cheap, reliable, and simple carbs in their survival pack. Even if you are a major do-it-yourselfer with homemade energy gels and trail mix, you still ought to have some cheap noodles on hand.

Besides, there is an art and science to the preparation of Ramen Noodles that every college student should master! They should teach a Freshman economics class on Ramen Noodles and beer!
edit on 11-5-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

link   
I wonder why ramen is less expensive when it is deep fried? Maybe the answer is in one of those videos, but WOW that's a lot of noodle vids.

EDIT: I think you overlooked an important noodle vid

edit on 11-5-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Noodle
Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following: Canola Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Palm Oil), Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Alginate, Chili, Paprika, Tocopherols, T-BHQ. Soup Base Salt, Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn & Wheat Protein, Monosodium Glutamate, Soy Sauce Powder (Wheat, Soybean, Maltodextrin, Salt), Chili & Other Spices, Caramel Color, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dehydrated Cliantro, Beef Powder, Beef Fat, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Dehydrated Leek, Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten, Sugar. Read more: wiki.answers.com...

I think this is the abbreviated version actually.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Now for a really stupid fact on Ramen noodles. At the Armed Forces Academy where I have worked now for 24 years, after doing my 20, the cadets eat them raw right out of the package as they literally run between classes all over the Academy. They eat them like they were a large cracker. I thought it was gross until I tried it.

They're a big cracker. It expands in your stomach so your not hungry for hours so it holds you off until chow call and you can focus on the task at hand instead of your hunger. Hammer down a quick 20 ounce mega-strong, typical military black coffee after and your rippin' for 3 hours. Jeez!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

LiveStrong Ramen Nutrional Information.

Each packet (2 servings) contains 380 calories, 10 grams Protein, 58g Carbs, 12-16% of Daily Iron Intake, and essential fats.

Now, where can you beat that for less than a dollar?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It's not about calories though, it's about the ingredients and their effects on the body.

In a pinch, if TSHTF scenario, I think I'll hitch a ride to an un-nuked country before subjecting myself to 98% toxicity for nutrition. I have food stored, some with HFCS and other preservatives. That's bad enough as it is, but it's about survival at that point.

ETA- at that point, I think bugs might be more nutritional, really.

edit on 11-5-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That's about what we are being reduced to. For the last couple of months I've essentially lived off of nothing but noodles and pasta sauce. That's about all I can afford.It's going to get worse. I know.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Sorry I didn't go through all your videos, I'm just commenting on ramen.

Are we talking about the same $0.10 Top Ramen noodles in the market?

I hope not, reading the ingredients put me to sleep in the market, like a long bedtime fairy tale of Nazi eugenics love kisses and hugs. It's exhausting, and when I'm done, I can''t remember reading about any "food" in the ingredients.

Yup! Those are the ones to avoid. Go for the better made South Korean and Japanese types and include additional ingredients to them to improve nutritional value. I suggest dehydrated peas, spring onions, broccoli florets, chipped carrots, etc. How about cubed chicken, chipped sausages, blanched frozen prawns?

The Shim Ramyun comes in boxes of 30 and they work out at 50c a pack.
edit on 11-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

more]
I hope none of us have to find out about that.

But 5 cases is on my list of essentials

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Some are missing the OPs point. What I gleaned from it is that we might better start getting used to less and smaller portions.

1) Crops are not producing as they once were.
2) Have you looked at the price of food at your local stores lately?

It's not going to get better for a while. So, just keep that in mind.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Caffeine and carbs are going to keep you going for hours. Marathon runners have this diet but they have tastier carbs.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join