It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World supercomputer at the end of time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I dreampt that the whole world was dead and there was no more life. Only a giant supercomputer that was sentient and had been talking slowly to itself for millions of years. The rest of the planet was a destroyed, ruined hulk, a lifeless world of rocks and cold sand like Mars. The computer was conferring with itself and decided to shut itself down and end its own sentience because it could think of no purpose to continue on.

This is the soundtrack of the dream:

Then the dream modulated and changed and I was in a kind of old villiage, like the kind they had in the 1800s or whatever. There weren't any people around but I could see all these simple, homey things. Like somebody had been carving an axe-handle out of new wood, that stood out. And a pile of sticks. Sawdust everywhere. A carpenter's studio? I felt an immense sadness, like we had lost all this. "How could we lose our way? How could we have lost the Great Tao so completely?" I began to cry. Then I woke up.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

"If your frightened of dying, and your holding on. You'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels,... Freeing you from the earth."

S&F

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

That's a beautiful scene. I like that movie a lot.

But this dream was not about the fear of death. I'm not particularly afraid of dying.

The dream was more profound than an individual's fear of death, if that makes any sense.

And the dream had no deamons, no sense of fear. Only a sense of sorrow.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Anytime I have some dream,that gives me a sense of sorrow,I think of that scene from Jacobs Ladder.......

It gives me a sense of hope........

The only reason why I posted it...

Now,the interpretation? That I will leave to an expert.......

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

are you perchance a Whovian?

a few of the 8th Doctor novels
have such an artifact

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Interesting. I used to watch the old ones with Tom Baker sometimes. I'll have to look into what you mentioned, thanks!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I know this is topic drift but I can't resist...in that movie Jacob's Ladder, there is a scene where the hero is leafing through these old demonolgy books and his old war buddy calls up and says something like "hey man what are you up to these days" and he replies with something like "oh, nothing much," but the expression on his face is priceless, he's looking at a lithograph of some fallen angel and he seems hunched over, wild-eyed, posessed. Sometimes I think of that scene when I get a call from an old friend.

OK, that's all, excuse me for inturrupting the flow of this thread.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I dreampt that the whole world was dead and there was no more life. Only a giant supercomputer that was sentient and had been talking slowly to itself for millions of years.

Sounds like you dreamt up a distant relation to "Deep Thought" the world computer from "Hitchhiker's Guide" - maybe with a bit of Marvin's personality thrown in there...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Do you think your dream had a sense of sorrow because of all of the culture that had been forgotten? That is much worse than an individual's death. I have had a similar dream of the future, around the year 3000, where cities were over-run with jungle. There were tribes of natives that lived in rooms inside of buildings. They entered their rooms through the long-broken windows.

It was very vivid. I remember the sense that it was a very different time, disconnected from our current one.

Thanks for sharing your dream, Leftist.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by Leftist

Do you think your dream had a sense of sorrow because of all of the culture that had been forgotten?

Maybe. It seemed so lonely and desolate.

It was a sorrow almost beyond normal human emotion. I don't think I can describe it. But the feeling of disconnection...yeah. Like you said, a sense of being disconnected from our own time.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Explanation: S&F!

Did the world by chance look like this?

Global Ecophagy [lifeboat.com]

Ecophagy [goldenmap.com]

Freitas used the term to describe a scenario involving molecular nanotechnology gone awry. In this situation (called the grey goo scenario) out-of-control self-replicating nanorobots consume entire ecosystems, resulting in global ecophagy. However, the word "ecophagy" is now applied more generally in reference to any event—nuclear war, the spread of monoculture, massive species extinctions—that might fundamentally alter the planet. Scholars suggest that these events might result in ecocide in that they would undermine the capacity of the Earth's biological population to repair itself. Others suggest that more mundane and less spectacular events—the unrelenting growth of the human population, the steady transformation of the natural world by human beings—will eventually result in a planet that is considerably less vibrant, and one that is, apart from humans, essentially lifeless. These people believe that the current human trajectory puts us on a path that will eventually lead to ecophagy. In the paper in which Freitas coined the term he wrote:

Perhaps the earliest-recognized and best-known danger of molecular nanotechnology is the risk that self-replicating nanorobots capable of functioning autonomously in the natural environment could quickly convert that natural environment (e.g., "biomass") into replicas of themselves (e.g., "nanomass") on a global basis, a scenario usually referred to as the "grey goo problem" but perhaps more properly termed "global ecophagy".

We WILL all become one!

Personal Disclosure: It's all Goo[d] Comrade! Have some icecream ok!

edit on 12-5-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken link.

top topics

join