It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13% in U.S. foreign-born, a level last seen in 1920

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
The problem I have,is the lack of willingness to fix ANY of these problems.

I agree but the the power to fix those problems is not really in the hands of the immigrants, legal or illegal. It has been this way for decades and neither Republicans nor Democrats have done anything to fix it. Maybe it works for them so they figure why fix it if it ain't broke.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by sonnny1
The problem I have,is the lack of willingness to fix ANY of these problems.

I agree but the the power to fix those problems is not really in the hands of the immigrants, legal or illegal. It has been this way for decades and neither Republicans nor Democrats have done anything to fix it. Maybe it works for them so they figure why fix it if it ain't broke.

Star for ya.

I agree. Its big business. Why fix something that affects Legal citizens.....

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives
We need to put them in camps surrounded in barbed wire!

Or maybe kill them on sight!
s

something an extreme leftist would suggest, you would have excelled under Stalin

Who are the ones bemoaning the evil foreign invaders? If Hitler were around ya'll
could go out for beers lamenting all those pesky, filthy foreigners!

go check out Stalin's purges against the foreigners, EXTREME LEFTISTS LEAD THE WAY!

Well I guess extreme right wingers lead the way now

edit on 12-5-2012 by braindeadconservatives because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

450 billion divided by 40 million means we gave 1125 dollars to each of the 11 percent of all people in America in 2010, whom were not citizens and likely not one of them paying any local state or federal taxes?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

no they don't, none are in power

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
LA Times

Obama administration reports record number of deportations

Of the 396,906 deportations from October 2010 through September of this year, more than half were illegal immigrants with felony or misdemeanor convictions, a percentage that has increased steadily since the end of the George W. Bush administration.

The annual total was about 4,000 more deportations than the record set in the previous year.

Officials often have credited the increase to programs such as Secure Communities, which checks the immigration status of individuals fingerprinted at state and local jails and, if need be, notifies immigration authorities. Secure Communities has been deployed in 1,600 law enforcement jurisdictions across the country, and immigration officials plan to have the program deployed nationwide by 2013.

The steady increase in enforcement efforts comes at a time when the rate of immigrants coming into the U.S. illegally has decreased, in part due to the sluggish U.S. economy.

The Obama administration decided in September to extend the deployment of 1,200 National Guard troops on the U.S.-Mexico border through the end of the year, at a cost of about $10 million a month.

Activists pushing for immigration reform have criticized President Obama’s approach as too heavy-handed, while Republicans have clamored for even more deportations.

The record number of deportations under the Obama administration has left a "wake of devastation in Latino communities across the nation," Joanne Lin, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement. "These record-breaking deportation numbers come at a time when illegal immigration rates have plummeted, the undocumented population has decreased substantially and violent crime rates are at their lowest levels in 40 years. Our country can no longer afford to pay for uncontrolled, unwarranted DHS spending, at the cost to U.S. taxpayers."

Some House Republicans have criticized Obama for issuing guidelines that encourage immigration officials to defer the deportations of individuals who are pursuing an education or have strong family ties in the U.S., among other factors. They say the guidelines amount to selectively enforcing the law.

The immigration issue is complicated. It's also emotional across the spectrum from hatred and fear to love and tolerance. My point in including the article was to make a statement about those emotions being manipulated by the government and the media.

Corporate America disguises itself as Conservative and they need a scapegoat. Social Agencies often disguise themselves as Liberals and they need cases. In the end it's you and I screaming at each other about who's right and who's wrong while never looking to scream at our government as a WHOLE for making everything broken and useless.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I'm one of the 13%, I'm legal, and I don't get treated any different to any other American because of it. I served in your military, and disabled because of it.

I do live in Cali though...

we all make mistakes

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You know what the Native American tribes said?

95%+ of people here are foreigners.

Guess what ? You didn't care.

So....you were saying?

He didn't say that. He wasn't born. none of us were. Besides, are you saying that it what happened to the Indians was wrong or not:? why do you condone it now?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

So....you were saying?
legal immigrants strengthen america, illegals leech . i personally have never murdered or raped anyone, the catholic church killed, tortured and destroyed european culture. PAST TENSE yet i have no problem with catholics or their church. are you a troll or just filled with hate and anger .

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm not sure if you understand the problem, it's simple.

The only reason we have so many illegal immigrants is because american companies hire them in order to have cheap manpower. If the gov. forces them to hire legal people only, the problem wouldn't be that big. Gov. doesn't want to fix it.

If you go Mexico as an illegal alien, they'll put you in jail right the way and give you lots of "AMOR".

edit on 12-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i think this is great news. now, more than ever, in this age of globalization, we need to pool our resources and come together as a species. America was already on the cutting edge of this multi-cultural melding and it's great to see us still tolerant and accepting of those the world over.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

But the 450 billion was for everyone not just foreign born. They account for 46.6% of the foreign born which is 1.16% illegal. That means, all things being equal, that 444.78 is going to citizens and legal aliens and maybe 5.22 is going to illegal aliens.

Things are not equal and while you may hear about illegals scamming the system, most of the ones I have known wouldn't even know how and they are not asking for a free ride. I would say that they don't even get the 5.22 billion but in either case the OP and its inflated numbers is nothing but an exercise in hyperbole.

edit on 12-5-2012 by daskakik because: Math check

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I hate to say it but I can't believe that you're still going off about illegal immigration when there are more pressing matters of importance to all Americans (read: the economy).

10.5 not 40 million. See how easy it is for people to distort the facts?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You people keep bashing the OP with same comments over and over again. He has answered you.

Illegal immigration, regardless of exact numbers, is a very important issue to many of us. There are too many who disregard our laws and negatively affect the citizens of America on many levels.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
You people keep bashing the OP with same comments over and over again. He has answered you.

But his answer was that we misread instead of accepting the fact that he posted the OP without having all the facts.

Illegal immigration, regardless of exact numbers, is a very important issue to many of us. There are too many who disregard our laws and negatively affect the citizens of America on many levels.

The fact that the OP lumped legal immigrants with illegals means the OP is wrong regardless of the issue's importance.
edit on 12-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

So....you were saying?

You know the Native Americans immigrated to North America?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

You know the Native Americans immigrated to North America?

There were no human populations here prior to then - one of the reason we also refer to them as the "First Americans". Native Americans must get a real kick out of watching European-Americans complain about illegal immigration.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I see nothing wrong with the statistic of 13% being foreign born.

Nothing at all.

The New Colossus Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

But seeing as how america has stepped on most of the founding ideals of the country I guess it makes sense people would have a problem with that stat...

Neo Thanks again for pointing out how effective the tactics of division work in this country to distract from the genuine issues we face.

edit on 13-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela

we all make mistakes

I have lived on the east coast also, not much difference imo. At least they got prop 215 here.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Where do you get your facts from?

Fright-wing think tanks or credible sources? Which is it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join