It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13% in U.S. foreign-born, a level last seen in 1920

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The definition of foreign born national is a citizen or legal resident born in a different country from which they legally reside. It's worth noting that children born to a US military soldier off base in a foreign country are also among that 40 million statistic.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Well said.

People need to stop the age old easy route and blaming immigrants for the loss of jobs.

If anything people should blame themselves if they support capitalism. Capitalism is why there are no jobs, not immigration, nor the government. It is capitalism's requirement to make profit that is causing the lack of 'jobs'.
If profit is not being made companies move elsewhere, or shut down, effectively removing their contribution to the local economy.

If the means to produce were in our hands, we wouldn't need their 'jobs'. We could simply produce for our needs.
Poverty is a lack of resources, not a lack of money. We already have the capacity to produce what we need, but the need to make profit keeps resources artificially scarce. For us to thrive into the future, and live peacefully, we have to start thinking about needs based systems that take away the hierarchy of 'private ownership'.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

For a country built on the sweat and blood of immigrants, I fail to see the problem.

“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”"

It seems like, now, it should be called the Statue of Bigotry (thanks Lou Reed)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
what I would say are illegal of course the article does not say

cut for those who still can't read.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well since you are "saying that they are illegal" without the piece saying it, this means it is an assumption on your part, which was later proven to be wrong.

Since 3/4 of this segment of the population is legal and you have no problems with legals what was the point of the OP?

edit on 11-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Well lets break down the problem for those who aren't paying attention:

88 million Americans out of work under employed.
15 trillion dollars national debt
100+million Americans living off a government check

population increasing that don't have jobs

immigration/population has outpaced jobs creation

in a nutshell but of course that was already said in this thread.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

The largest sanctuary cities in the us are in California,Texas,and New York and near half a trillion dollars going to them.

Pay no never mind to that.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

The largest sanctuary cities in the us are in California,Texas,and New York and near half a trillion dollars going to them.

Pay no never mind to that.

No matter how you try to side step it, you cannot get away from the fact that you claimed 40 million illegals and that this was wrong and invalidates your OP.

ETA: They are also the three most populated states so why wouldn't they be getting huge federal funds?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The population of Americans born here seem to be contributing much more to population increase than immigrants or foreign born. After all our population is 350+ Million out of which 40 million are foreign born...factor in women being able to be fired for taking birth control in some states or the attempt thereof (forget which atm) and oh boy are we going to have a baby boom.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by neo96

The population of Americans born here seem to be contributing much more to population increase than immigrants or foreign born. After all our population is 350+ Million out of which 40 million are foreign born...factor in women being able to be fired for taking birth control in some states or the attempt thereof (forget which atm) and oh boy are we going to have a baby boom.

That got me curious.. I wonder what percentage of the population was born for foreign born parents. No matter what the number is, a large portion of the people currently living in the US are newcomers and the country is once again experiencing a large scale change.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
One baby in four born to migrants: Number of foreign-born mothers has doubled

Almost a quarter of babies are born to immigrant mothers, an official breakdown showed yesterday. It found that 24.7 per cent of children born last year have mothers who were born abroad – and that their numbers have doubled since the late 1990s. The sharply rising numbers of babies with foreign-born mothers came despite an overall fall in births.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

24.7 percent of children born last year(2010) have mothers who were born abroad and their numbers have doubled since the 90s.

I would say that has increased,

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I an tired of this crap i stated and opinion and there is nothing on here saying anyone has to agree with it

Now get the hell over it.

This is the topic

13% in U.S. foreign-born, a level last seen in 1920

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

But your opinion was proven to be wrong. Why don't you get over it and accept that 9.75% of that 13% are legal and, as far as they are concerned, you have nothing to be complaining about because you said you are OK with legal immigrants?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hmmmm........

The $14.5 billion US Census asked your national origin. But it didn't ask if you were a US citizen. An estimated 20 million illegal immigrants were counted as citizens.

I was one of the half-million people hired to work on the 2010 Census which cost $14.5 billion, more than three times the 2000 Census. The 2010 census cost about $47 for every man, woman, and child in America.

The Constitution says the purpose of the census is to properly apportion representation in Congress. Our Congressmen represent the citizens of their states so I had assumed that the census would be counting only citizens. But no, it counts everyone living in the United States, whether they are citizens or not. And that includes illegal aliens.

This means that the census is now deliberately anti-Constitutional. If illegal aliens are counted in California, then California will be sure to get additional seats in Congress (despite the fact that many citizens have been leaving California over the past 10 years). The same is true of other states with large numbers of illegals.

US Census Counted Everyone as Citizens

Thats crazy.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

But they do know how many student and work visas, green cards, refugee stays and Certificates of U.S. Naturalization they handed out? Subtract that number from the number of foreign born residents and you have the number of illegals.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
no surprise to me I live in a large city in Florida lol. I love how diverse my city is, honestly I work sales by an airport and I'd say 75% of my customers first language isn't English. Alot of my friends parents were immigrants. It's normal to me, and these things go in cycles. Illegal immigration is unfortunate but our immigration process needs to be more efficient, I mean my college philosophy professor from Mexico who had married a citizen was having huge issues. The UK is so much smaller & they are suffering from the same thing...it goes hand in hand with economy. i'm out of it so forgive me if that doesn't make sense
edit on 11-5-2012 by girlwithkaleidoscope3eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by sonnny1

But they do know how many student and work visas, green cards, refugee stays and Certificates of U.S. Naturalization they handed out? Subtract that number from the number of foreign born residents and you have the number of illegals.

Having that information,doesn't equate to knowing how many illegals are here,or are even having children.....

No one knows.

Heres some numbers......

What really galled me, though, was Pres. Obama bragging about more than 3 million U.S. jobs created during the last 22 months. That could have been good news for unemployed Americans. But during that same period, the Obama Administration issued more than 3 million work visas to new immigrants and other foreign workers (more than half of them permanent).

Obama Speech Brags About 3 Million New Jobs (Fails To Mention 3 Million New Foreign Work Permits)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

In Australia the number born overseas is even higher!!! About 30% of the Australian population was born overseas.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Statistics are just approximations but doing it this way probably gives better numbers than if they are asked about their legal status and they lie. Of course no one knows the exact numbers.

The quote about the work visas shows that some people are not just worried about illegal immigration but also legal immigration. I'm not saying that they don't have reason to be but it does show the shallowness of some of those who say they have no problems with immigrants going the legal route.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by sonnny1

Statistics are just approximations but doing it this way probably gives better numbers than if they are asked about their legal status and they lie. Of course no one knows the exact numbers.

The quote about the work visas shows that some people are not just worried about illegal immigration but also legal immigration. I'm not saying that they don't have reason to be but it does show the shallowness of some of those who say they have no problems with immigrants going the legal route.

The problem I have,is the lack of willingness to fix ANY of these problems.

Maybe Joe Biden will say something about amnesty,and Obama will have to come out of the closet and say his "real" position on it. Seem like that's the only way Obama can make hard decisions. Especially when he needs votes.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join