It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13% in U.S. foreign-born, a level last seen in 1920

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Of 40 million born abroad, the greatest number lives in California, with large populations in New York, Texas and Florida, Census Bureau report says.

The U.S. foreign-born population has risen to its highest level since 1920, with 13% of all those living in the nation in 2010 having been born elsewhere, a new report from the Census Bureau shows.

Forty million of those residing in the U.S. in 2010 were born in other countries, up from 31 million, or 11% of the total, a decade earlier. The foreign-born share of the population dropped between 1920 and 1970, hitting a low of 4.7% in 1970, before rising again for several decades.

www.latimes.com...

40 million foreign born nationals are living in the United States and what I would say are illegal of course the article does not say they are legal they clearly label foreign and native born.

The article goes on to say that foreign born are more likely to be employed than natives then it goes on to say they are less likely to have health insurance.

But wait for it.

The annual American Community Survey took the place of the long-form decennial census in 2010 and is used to help distribute $450 billion in annual federal funds.

450 billion dollars in annual federal funds which means what now?

Hint go to any community health center the largest source of free care and who the biggest users are?

Habla espanol?

Being the evil right winger and how often i hear i am a racist and i hate brown people well listen up not a single one of us have any problems with immigration when it is done legally.

Everyone knows this country was built by immigrants but those who bothered to assimilated in to the greater whole they got something from this country but they also chose to give something back instead of just taking what they want and leave the rest..

edit on 11-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
highest since 1920 lol, and then some...................

feel sorry for the US, heading for 2nd world status like a lot of us..........

+8 more 
posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You know what the Native American tribes said?

95%+ of people here are foreigners.

Guess what ? You didn't care.

So....you were saying?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Why are the actual original natives relegated to "reservations"?

What happened to their Nations?

It's really interesting how little influence their communities have in general politics isn't it?

Why do we still have a Bureau of Indian Affairs ? What's up with this crap?

Yeah, lets talk about Immigration and Foreigners. But let's talk realistically and stick with factual history...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What the hell do native Americans(meaning Indians) have to do with this topic?

What?

Blaming the current generation of those living is sheer stupidtiiy and while your at it what about all those foreigners who are here now taking all that ill gotten land?

Which was not even the point of the topic actually all that is doing is giving the shaft yet again to them.
edit on 11-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

I agree with what you are saying. I had an ATS member explain to me that the liberals cheering for mass immigration has alot to do with minimum wage in America being so low. And also the right wingers cheering on free trade.He said big business got rich, the politicians got rich, we became poorer and sharp divisions were created in our nations based on the resentment towards immigrants who could not be assimilated. It was a win-win for the elite, a lose-lose for the workers.

I can see why you resent the situation that has been created. America seems to have too many people. Imagine removing all of the illegals in a day. The next day would be very different for America. I think you should remove the illegals and close the borders.

Edit- I think you should have a problem with all immigration. I wouldnt let anyone in.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Edit-that guy just posted. Sorry for stealing your words there. I thought they fit though.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Habla espanol?

Espanol, English, Français, Deutsch. Italiano, Português, etc.

These languages were brought in by illegal immigrants.
They took the land by force and ran people out of their communities, raped robbed and pillaged.

My how times have changed in just a few generations.

The great conquering immigrants are now fearful of, you guessed it, immigrants.
The irony!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Since someone brought it up there is 450 billion dollars going to the hispanic population whereas it could have gone to those people living on those reservations.

Oh never mind they are not card carrying liberal Democrats.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You know what the Native American tribes said?

95%+ of people here are foreigners.

Guess what ? You didn't care.

So....you were saying?

really?

They said this to the person who started this thread?!?!?

How old is he/she!

Move on hatemonger
edit on 11-5-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Habla espanol?

Espanol, English, Français, Deutsch. Italiano, Português, etc.

These languages were brought in by illegal immigrants.
They took the land by force and ran people out of their communities, raped robbed and pillaged.

My how times have changed in just a few generations.

The great conquering immigrants are now fearful of, you guessed it, immigrants.
The irony!

what weird world do you live in where you think a lot of Americans are several hundred years old

Pathetic INFANTILE reasoning

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
So you didn't even bother to look up how many of those 40 million were illegal?

The unauthorized immigrant population living in the United States stood at 10.8 million in January 2010

www.dhs.gov...

You made it sound like all 40 million were illegal..

But anyways, I don't have a problem with the puerto rican immigrants in Ohio. I probably would be concerned if I lived in the south about the Mexican illegal immigrants. I'm not a fan of seeing cartel violence enter the states.

edit on 11-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What people are concerned with is the survival of the nation about immigration keeping pacing with opportunity and prosperity about a nation being able to communicate and understand each other.

Fear is a weak response for those with small minds and it has nothing to do with fear and what it has everything to do with is giving the current generation the same opportunity and the next one an even better opportunity.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

What is pathetic is ad hominem attacks feel free to post on topic so slow that troll.

and this is the topic:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

apologies, wasn't trying to derail the thread, just amazed at people who reference events from several hundred years ago as some sort of counter point

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Europe and especially France are in worse shape...

worse --- meaning that 'they' have a obligation to make babies so as to stack the voting booths in the next 20 years !
this is an Islamic Invasion ... without guns or conflict !

sheeple don't see the plan

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I find it funny the article mentions this is the highest share since 1920. For those not too familiar with American political history, allow me to educate you a bit. In 1924 Congress finally took up the issue of immigration reform, an initiative sought after by Henry Cabot Lodge early as 1909. Within this proposed, passed, and signed piece of legislation known as the ‘Immigration Act of 1924’ it placed quotas on the number of migrants from specific nations, basically banning all immigration from east Asia entirely, but avoided restrictions on Latin American nations. It also limited the number of immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe.

As a result of these reforms, immigration had come to a complete halt or there was more emigration than immigration with many nations. However, it was also the cause of the phrase “melting pot” wherein the immigrants, being so large in number as to not be eligible for deportation or voluntary emigration, were instead given time to assimilate into American culture. By the 1950s, what had once been an America drawn with deep ethnic lines had now become a much unified nation and culture. The identification of “German”-American largely fell out of use, instead identifying solely as American and only proclaiming to be German if there were inquiry regarding their ancestry.

However, this was considered an injustice since it still affirmed that only Whites may be fully naturalized citizens, dating back to 1790, so in 1965 (Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965) not only was that changed but the quota system as well. A sudden swell of migrants from East Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America came to the United States since that time. We are now at the same point we were at in 1920 when politics, association, and solidarity were drawn along ethnic lines. Immigration reform, if we are to have a “melting pot” must come about soon, but even then it seems near impossible since a considerable number of our recent immigrant population is not of European descent, but of a more distant cultural background.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

While I agree that it is a shame that legal immigrants are being lumped together with illegals I have to point out that Puerto Ricans are not immigrants. They are american citizens by birth.

Wiki

Puerto Ricans became U.S. citizens in 1917, and the United States Congress legislates many aspects of Puerto Rican life.

edit on 11-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

What the hell do native Americans(meaning Indians) have to do with this topic?

You have bigger problems than people coming through the borders.

You have nations within which are not being legally recognized which are technically viable candidates for making claimants on past transgressions which have not been remedied.

Here is but one example:

Republic of Lakota

The Republic of Lakotah or Lakotah is a proposed country in North America to serve as a homeland for the Lakota. Its boundaries would be surrounded by the borders of the United States, covering thousands of square miles in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. The proposed borders are those of the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie between the United States government and the Lakota.

How many treaties did we break with the actual native American nations?

Sounds like the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie wasn't followed exactly now was it?

Here you have a people claiming legal rights to a large territory within the USA, positioning the rest of us as the immigrants technically speaking. And they are also historically accurate in their claim to a great degree.

You can't talk about immigration problems without facing the facts that the native Americans are being sidelined and suppressed big time here. Why does the media falsely portray immigration as a problem with "citizenship status" alone while ignoring the very groups who have legal rights to the land itself?

You can't rely on that crutch claiming "trolling" without having to face the real argument about immigration in the USA. You just want to argue your bias position with other opposite bias positions? No you should have to address remedies for the illegal immigration into the lands of the Lakota and various other surviving nations.

They have no place at the table in this discussion about the USA? Why?
Because they actually have legal claim to this land, not us. That's why they aren't allowed to the table.
In their position we are technically illegal immigrants as per Treaty of Fort Laramie.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Since someone brought it up there is 450 billion dollars going to the hispanic population whereas it could have gone to those people living on those reservations.

Oh never mind they are not card carrying liberal Democrats.

Since you brought it up I also disagree again.

That 450 billion or whatever $ should go back to the taxpayer that it was robbed from in the first place.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Really ?

African Americans come first hispanics come second then every other nationality then white and then native Americans.

Why the hell can't you stay on topic?

Current immigration trends.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join