It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Seeks Prescription Drug Vending Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well isn't this "Convenient"?

Self diagnosis and self dispensing all at a one stop shop. I don't understand how anyone can think this is a good idea at all. The potential for abuse is screaming out loud not to mention being a Hypochondriac's Wet Dream. "oooh, I have a slight head ache. Maybe I have to go and diagnose myself so I can get some medicine. Tomorrow...Rinse and Repeat.

Of course we all know why...Money! Get more drugs out there into the hands of the people. They get rich and we die.

www.blacklistednews.com...
www.ihealthbeat.org...

Thanks to a new move by the FDA to allow the public to diagnose themselves with conditions and purchase the appropriate pharmaceuticals from a vending machine, it may become a reality.

By simply visiting a ‘drug kiosk’ in a mall or drug store, you may soon be able to buy drugs that treat health conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and migraines.

Furthermore, it would be as simple as answering an online questionnaire at this kiosk to obtain drugs that currently require prescriptions.

An interesting study here states that Prescription drugs (The ones that we are LEGALLY allowed) are bigger killers than many previously thought. But that doesn't stop the LEGAL drug pushers from trying to dispense their wares like a PEZ Dispenser.

In addition, the vending machine could massively increase pharmaceutical drug use, which kills more individuals per year than traffic fatalities. Pharmaceutical painkillers in specific are responsible for more deaths than heroin and coc aine combined.

For those that want to read more about this:

In an iHealthBeat Special Report by Kelly Wilkinson, experts discussed the potential use of technology to help expand the number of medications available without a prescription. The Special Report includes comments from:

Marcie Bough, director of Federal Regulatory Affairs at the American Pharmacists Association; Charles Daniels, professor of clinical pharmacy and pharmacist-in-chief at the University of California-San Diego;
Sandra Adamson Fryhofer, general internist and chair-elect of the American Medical Association's council on science and public health (Wilkinson, iHealthBeat, 4/18).
Read more: www.ihealthbeat.org... nUdN

The complete transcript (PDF) is available here: origin.eastbaymedia.com...

Now all of this falls in line at the same time as this report:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Americans consume EIGHTY percent of the world's pain pills as prescription drug abuse epidemic explodes Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... fQOhF

Americans consume 80 percent of the world's supply of painkillers -- more than 110 tons of pure, addictive opiates every year -- as the country's prescription drug abuse epidemic explodes. That's enough drugs to give every single American 64 Percocets or Vicodin. And pain pill prescriptions continue to surge, up 600 percent in ten year, thanks to doctors who are more and more willing to hand out drugs to patients who are suffering. As more people get their hands on these potentially-dangerous drugs, more are taking them to get high. Their drug abuse leads to 14,800 deaths a year -- more than from heroin and coc aine combined. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... orTJZ

So Americans are riding, driving and walking around high on LEGAL drugs because they are so easy to get. But let's make it even easier to gain access shall we?

The dispensers are being sold as a necessary convenience because they will only shell out pills for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and migraines...but how long will it be before they up the ante and even more powerful drugs are available?

Medicate the public? Keep them docile? Compliant?

Many here will most likely say " Great! Now I can save money and time by avoiding the doctor's office." And you are correct in thinking this way. But do you really believe that this is the main motivation behind this? To save you money?

I highly doubt that Big Pharma is interested in helping you save money. In fact I can see people spending even more money at these machines as they will be so convenient.

But maybe that's just my thinking...

Sure I know it sounds a little out there but so were a lot of things happening right now that we just KNEW for sure could never happen...right?

Peace

edit on 11-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ever since I saw the 2003 Movie Idiocracy, I knew this day was coming.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So we're going to have to ask the pharmacy counter to get hold of things that contain pseudoephedrine, and they track that stuff like hawks, but we're going to be able to get prescription drugs from a vending machine?

Doctors hand out drugs like it's candy, anyway, but it just sounds like a bad idea.

How easy would it be to test new products on unsuspecting people and call it one of those limited geographical area promotions like soda and fast food companies have?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Americans consume EIGHTY percent of the world's pain pills as prescription drug abuse epidemic explodes.

Is there a stronger word than "epidemic"...? Just doesen't seem to truely describe how bad it really is. Epidemic? Pharmaceutical genocide seems more apt... Pills from a vending machine what next? They should just go all the way and make suicide booths like in "Futurama".
edit on 11-5-2012 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Any drug that someone can get someone high on is generally a scheduled II drug. This means that the prescription has to be written for the patient every time, even to get a refill. No one is going to be able to get Oxycontin or Adderall out of a vending machine because it would go against the federal prescription laws on schedule II drugs.

Your post contains dis-info

en.wikipedia.org...
healthcare.utah.edu...

edit on 11-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

I can already get a million different types of pills from walmart, it's called over the counter medicine. There are tons of medicines that used to be prescription that is now OTC. You people are freaking out over absolutely nothing.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well f**k... There goes my job. I just got re-certified too...

I mean I was pissed when they put the auto-fill machines behind the counter in pharmacies, that already put my job at risk. They cut a ton of people once those came out, all you have to do is enter the prescription into the computer system we use, and if it were a very common drug it would automatically fill it and all you'd have to do is walk over to the machine and grab the filled pill bottle and throw it in a bag for the customer.

Now they're going to move it over the counter?? If they do that there would only be the Sched II drugs and rarely dispensed drugs behind the counter. And only Pharmacists are allowed to touch the Schedule II's, the technicians aren't even allowed to enter the prescription into the computer for a Sched II, they have to give it to the Pharmacist right away...

We're all slowly being replaced by machines...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Any drug that someone can get someone high on is generally a scheduled II drug. This means that the prescription has to be written for the patient every time, even to get a refill. No one is going to be able to get Oxycontin or Adderall out of a vending machine because it would go against the federal prescription laws on schedule II drugs.

Your post contains dis-info

en.wikipedia.org...
healthcare.utah.edu...

Ok, read carefully because I will do this only once. I did not state the scheduled II drugs will be available but believe it will happen in the future.

Peace

From the OP:

The dispensers are being sold as a necessary convenience because they will only shell out pills for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, and migraines...but how long will it be before they up the ante and even more powerful drugs are available?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

They won't be. They are scheduled like that for a reason. If you allow easily accessible drugs it would destroy the "war on drugs" which the government has no interest in stopping.

It's comparable to saying "Well I can buy tylenol at Walmart, heroin is going to be next!". It makes no sense.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well I guess this is one way to win the war on drugs. And next to the pill machine will be a alcohol machine so you can get something to wash the pills down with.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by jude11

They won't be. They are scheduled like that for a reason. If you allow easily accessible drugs it would destroy the "war on drugs" which the government has no interest in stopping.

It's comparable to saying "Well I can buy tylenol at Walmart, heroin is going to be next!". It makes no sense.

Here in Canada we can buy Tylenol #1's over the counter. Some require ID, some don't. But it does contain codeine. So it is semi regulated right now but more and more drug stores are keeping track of who buys what and how much...OTC. We have to go to a doctor for #2, #3 etc because of the higher codeine content. I'm not sure how it works in other Countries tho.

So if a person can get even these at a machine, we have a problem. And who says that the drug lobbyists won't keep going at it so they can get even more drugs cleared for the dispensers. The Pharms don't care one bit if we keep putting money into the machines for their products and this is also a fact.

I guess we'll see...

Peace

People get addicted to the 1's just as much as the three's. This I know.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Well I guess this is one way to win the war on drugs. And next to the pill machine will be a alcohol machine so you can get something to wash the pills down with.

You can buy a bottle of whiskey or just a beer from a vending machine in Japan...

I actually liked that...

Peace

top topics

join