It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by rebellender

Originally posted by popsmayhem
im sorry their unemployment
is gone, but how long do they expect
it to last though? i understand
a safety net but my god it cant go on forever

sure it can "Print baby Print"

heard China is going to move in and set up shop
www.abovetopsecret.com...

stinking commies, them chinese
aint no good... I wonder how long
they get unemployment for..

OH THEY dont get any thats right

Communist nations are as bad as capitalist nations, but they DON'T NEED unemployment cause plenty of jobs theoretically exist for everyone in a centrally planned economy. With communism they don't have to consider job efficiency and/or profit.

If you work reasonably well or many times just show up for work that is good enough. It is a society of mediocrity, but that sure as hell beats a society of "jobs shipped overseas" and people having to rob convience stores which then end up in jail at the tax payers expense.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Actually he was using all those types of tools (LinkedIn etc.). I was helping him, as that's more my forte than his, as I'm a Virtual Assistant - so you can be sure I was everywhere! However, the problem, at least with his actual career path versus going for anything, was that his industry had taken such a hit there just weren't positions for it. Which ticked me off as we're still paying the student loans that got him the education to do that job.

Now, however, better things are on the horizon. He is in the testing process to become a Sheriff's Deputy. He's a former Marine so that helped on that, and also the fact that he's a guard. Seems like a crappy position, and it is, but on the other hand, at least in the state of California, you have to have a Guard Card which does an extensive background check with the DOJ, and he has an exposed carry permit with that as well. It looked good on the application. So - better things are on the horizon for us. Deputies aren't rich for sure, but it will make a huge difference in our personal lives.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by popsmayhem

China is a single-party republic ruled by the Communist Party.

So, yes, they are Communist.

If they are communist then why is everyone who can afford dumping their home turf advantage to do business in china? in vietnam?

China USED TO BE communist. Now they are communist ONLY IN NAME cause the same people switched ideology and still control things IN A MUCH FREER ECONOMY! Free economy denotes capitalism........

Clearly you don't pay attention enough to current events!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
There are plenty of jobs. I am employed with three companies. Only one of my jobs is a "good" job, the other two are for supplemental income.

there would be if not for people like You!
two people are out of work becuse of you!

The best example of the liberal mindset I've seen in a while. Poor little victim. I bet you can't even comprehend the hard work Tinker has to do in order to work 3 jobs.

Why don't you do a little math and figure out how many people are out of work because of the minimum wage? Then you can spend your precious energy blaming the left for unemployment.

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
I dont feel that we are forced to work 2-3 jobs... At least I'm not
I dont feel that we are forced to work so many hours... I work around 50 a week, and im happy
I dont see any issue with this system, I work a job, I expect to work hard and in return be compensated fairly
I dont see people dying in the streets or barely scraping by. I think you are painting an extreme picture
I dont necessaril live to work, but I do enjoy work so it makes it easier. working = money = opportunity
I dont believe that a person is defined by just cash and possessions, but your "true" vaue will help determine how much cash and possessions one will likely earn in their life time...
For some the system is broke, for others it isnt...
edit on 12-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

did you write this ?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThoughtIsMadness
reply to post by jhn7537

You act like the US government going broke is caused by the unemployed in the US, when in reality the unemployment in the US is caused by the US government. Give your head a shake. It is the policies of the government and their ties to the central bank that is and will continue to bring the economy in the US to it's knees. You cannot give constant bailouts to any corporations on the scale and frequency that is demanded by the central bank and expect it not to have an effect on the economy as a whole.

There isnt one single reason out there, the reason why we're struggling is because of a multitude of things.... Paying unemployment and welfare is just one of the many reasons why our country is going broke...A lot of people are mentioning that the Govt. should FORCE these corporations to bring back jobs... Who the hell is the Govt. to tell any corporation what to do??Its not their place...

You are proudly admittng the usa is a corporate dictatorship and that somehow it is ok.

And who are the corporations to tell the government what to do is my question?

I NEVER agreed to let corporations do as they want! I don't think the original constitution did either. I think most people who are getting ripped-off making 1/100 what corporate executives are making would not agree either.

I have no problem with rewarding success when it is deserved, but ethically speaking there is a limit to everything! Not only that but with poor performance company management did not get bonuses from tax payer bailouts in the past.

If you can't see the obvious, then clearly YOU have a PROBLEM! A big one!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Everyone saying to get "crappy jobs", it isn't so easy. I am not American, but when I was unemployed after getting fired for being sick, I went to go apply to McDonalds and Tim Hortons and the likes. I never got past the first interview. Why? Because I had a college education. Meanwhile those are really the only jobs available "the crappy jobs" I am overqualified for. There are hundreds of people applying for the same position, even at crappy jobs. Why hire a college grad who might leave when they find a better job when you can hire a person with a high school education or less that will be a "lifer"?
If it appeases anyone I decided to follow my dream and start my own business. I am a music artist, and record other artists at my ghetto fabulous "professional" home studio. I also am a promoter for other artists. I make below minimum wage and technically am under the poverty line but I am very happy doing what I love and living within my means. I wont get fired for being sick, neither

I do think receiving unemployment benefits for so long is not a good thing. I only stayed on unemployment for 5 months (it runs out after 7 months here). But I worked for YEARS and I payed into it with every single paycheck. Because of that, I think I should be allowed to use up as much unemployment resources available, because I paid for them to be used in the first place.

I feel bad for those hundreds and thousands of people who will now have nothing. I wish there was something that can be done to help all of them.
edit on 12/5/2012 by InnerTruths because: spelling... brain fog, ugh.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
This OP is full of the same BS, that everyone who is lucky enough to still be working is so full of, thier eyes are brown. Him ha and hough hough then when their job is gone or thier business or thier practice goes under ?
Thier always the ones who scream like lil girls at thier first pajama party. Most people who have worked enough to gain unemployment checks would rather be working. So get off your bounce pony !

Oh yea... If I lose my job, Ill be able to get another one that pays the same amount, if not more, within 1 week... I get emails from recruiters and head hunters every week offering me great opportunities out there, but you're right, I will be screaming like a lil girl... Please dont talk out of your ass, especially knowing that you dont know me...

Even if you are telling the truth in this instance, which is quite doubtful due to you're huge disconect from reality, there are LOTS of folks who are not qualified in a job that is in high demand. Yeah it is always the fault of the other guy and government has no business getting involved with anything.

I often wonder if people get paid to post nonsense. Cite one example of how success is possible then over-generalise to hell to make your point. Typical selfish, greed ridden nonsense! Learn to use common sense, it will serve you well.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Communist nations are as bad as capitalist nations, but they DON'T NEED unemployment cause plenty of jobs theoretically exist for everyone in a centrally planned economy. With communism they don't have to consider job efficiency and/or profit.

If you work reasonably well or many times just show up for work that is good enough. It is a society of mediocrity, but that sure as hell beats a society of "jobs shipped overseas" and people having to rob convience stores which then end up in jail at the tax payers expense.

Yah freaking right, ask the people
at foxconn who are throwing themselves
off the stinking roof that one bud.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I wonder how many of those 200k will turn to crime as a result.

Some people with no money will result to any length to get some.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I'm 49 years old and I have NEVER collected unemployment in my entire life. So seriously, you can't find any job in 79 weeks? Not buying it.

Well bully for you.

I was RIF'd recently due to a massive cut in IT support - going to mostly phone support. A horrible way to support your employees. But it is going to take awhile to get a job that even pays close to what I was making. So you what.. fully expect me to take the first job that rolls along that offers 20 or 30k less than I was making, and expect to make ends meet? Many of the jobs being offered right now have the SAME pay scale I was offered to start with.. 14 years ago. So what.. because companies are tight with their checkbooks because of the economy, I can just kiss the last 14 years of work and effort goodbye? I don't think so. I will try to get a job that at least more closely matches what I was making, even if I must *gasp* accept unemployment. I have paid a ridiculous amount to the government in the last 35 years.. I don't feel guilty for a moment getting some of it back.

Ironically, I can't even COLLECT unemployment for 2 more months. Because conveniently enough, state law says severance and vacation pay DO count as wages, and I can't collect until they "run out." BUT.. for the IRS, severance and vacation do NOT count as wages, and so it gets taxed almost like it were gambling funds - around 40%. It's apparently fine for differing governing bodies to consider money I received as different types of income - depending on which benefits them the most. When I heard about that, I was fairly livid.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A popular trend in today's USA job market is to hire people on a part-time basis, giving them fewer than full-time hours at very low pay rates. The company makes no investment or commitment to the worker, make no effort to bring the person up to full-time status, and of course, there is no benefits package.

Any new way to prey on, short, and abuse workers --- is being tried.

Meanwhile, top executives are obscenely, grossly overpaid, make colossal blunders like Chase Bank's CEO Dimon, and receive unprecedented bonuses and "incentives" no matter what.

This is what people who are struggling are tired of.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

reply to post by alphabetaone

I agree that everyone deserves a free education K-12, after that, the burden is totally on the person going back to school... Yes it would have been nice to have free college, but its more rewarding knowing that I paid for it myself.

It is NOT free. Property taxes pay the township education system, plus the police department, road clean-ups, etc. Do you know anything?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I live here in Denver Colorado. The unemployment rate is at 13.7%. I was laid off from a 13 year I.S. position that paid me close to 90k a year. I was laid off 9 months ago. For the first 2 months, I collected unemployment. Since then, I have worked miscellaneous temporary/part time jobs. Some of those employment opportunities included delivering pizza and warehouse dock work. I am a single Father with 2 children. My ex-wife and I share equally the responsibilities of our children. Since I was laid off, I have had to give up my home and made a great many sacrifices. In all, I have learned to live to my means.

When I hear that people can’t find jobs out there, I can't help but laugh! The fact of the matter is that there are MANY employment opportunities! Just NOT the ones most of these dead beat lazy azzes are willing to do! I could have easily sucked unemployment dry! But I didn’t! I don’t even make a fraction of what I made! Not even close to what I made in unemployment! What happen to America working hard for anything? When I hear people whine about they’re unemployment running out after 2 years, I could just throw-up! It's embarrassing that my fellow American can’t do what’s right or true anymore! There is a difference in WANTING something, and there is a difference in NEEDING something! I have 2 children I love very much! It doesn’t matter to me how big my house is, the car I drive, shoes I ware, people I know, etc... As long as I can work hard for something, give my kids a warm safe happy place to live, food in their mouths, than I am happy!

Americans are lazy, lazy, AND lazy! What a bunch of crybabies! Must be tough to lose that gravy train after 2 years! Mmmmmm, what am I going to do???? Well, I guess I can just tell people that I’m’ suicidal and have become a danger to myself and others. That’ll get me back on track to living the free loadin kind of life. Give me a break!

If you have to be on unemployment for over 6 months, than I consider you a welfare sucking reciprocate! If you can’t step up in life, than move out to another country that will provide the world to you for free! I don’t care what kind of excuses people try to come up with to avoid work! It might not be what you wish, but the jobs are out there! You might not be making what you once made, but either way, its work! If you’re too proud to work at Mc Donald’s, than don’t complain if you starve! Have “a little” dignity! Do what’s right! Set an example for your children!

Dear G-d,
Please let the unemployment benefits run out so these lazy bums will actually be forced to go out and find work!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

And for the record, I work for an IT consulting and management company, my industry isnt hurting

I don't hold any hate for you and what you said about your job will suffice. Just check'in. I don't blame you for thinking I might try to sabotage your job cause a lot of nut jobs would. For the record I would never do that to anyone. No matter how much they tic me off on ATS.

However I do despise your attitude and that which you've said. It's obvious you don't have a clue if you say the system isn't broken with all the wrenches that have been tossed into it. Oh and I'm currently employed after 11/2
yrs of searching. Had to go all the way to El paso Tx. and leave my home and family in So. Calif to work on this freeway overpass. But you got one thing right I'm bitter as hell. And it's no consellation to know your time is coming.
edit on 12-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
reply to post by jhn7537

More rewarding? Hmmmm

Quite honestly, I find my reward in the efficacy that education has provided and applying it....not in my ability to take 15 or 20 years to get myself out from under the mountain of debt accrued by a basic human condition; the desire to know more.

Not only is college education a little too expensive, but most colleges/universities spend too much time with liberal arts and not enough time with the core curricullum. In short getting a higher education is absolute BS and a waste of time and money.

Much better to get a vocational education in something you like, but then again everything is being mass produced in asia with cheaper labor...so it is really a no win situation with perpetual underpaid(and many times unprotected) labor.

I guess you have to have a doctorate in business administration and be very sleazy to get ahead in this corrupt world. or be a dentist that constantly rips-off the client, or be a sleazy car mechanic that charges you 10 times more then you should pay. The business man is always right in some fields!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
I live here in Denver Colorado etc etc...

that's a very unfortunate attitude you have, in my opinion.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Personally, I dont have a problem with this at all. Unemployment is supposed to be more of a safety net, not a long term solution.

So what happens to these people now? What will they do?

And dont you care?

Edit- I find the basic lack of empathy in America to be disturbing. And it seems to go beyond a lack of empathy. It seems many Americans delight in the misfortunes of others.

Also,there are no jobs. Your corporate overlords sent them all to China and India. What are these poor people going to do?
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Edit- Do any other countries in the West have such a terrible cruel welfare system? I have never heard of one.

So what happens to these people now? What will they do?

Get off their lazy a$$es and find work. There are many jobs bubb! People are just too proud to take them.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
For you critics out there, I happen to be one of the unemployed right now. Yes I am looking for a job but there's a catch here. The reason I lost my last job was health issues so I am taking some time right now to get myself put back together, so to speak. It's also giving me time to re-evaluate what I have been doing for a living and how it affects me.

I have been in "customer service" for the past twelve years now and my last job landed me on pretty heavy antidepressants! It was pretty bad when my Dr. told me I should quit my job and now here I am. The industry drove me to the brink of insanity and I am NOT going back; I refuse. Instead, I am looking at my other options such as starting my own business or going back to school so I can get a job in another industry.

There are legitimate reasons for collecting unemployment and trying to better yourself in order to be a happier, more employable person well.... I don't see a damn thing wrong with that. In addition I am able to spend more time with my kids which is nice since my last job had me only seeing them on Sat night and Sunday..... I love my family and being able to spend time with them is just priceless......

I'm sick of simply jumping from job to job and continuing to be miserable. There simply has to be more to life and one way or another I am going to find it and I will collect unemployment and not feel one bit guilty. God knows I've paid my fair share of taxes over the past 18 years of having worked; it's my turn to get something back for a change!
edit on 12-5-2012 by DJDigitalGem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Personally, I dont have a problem with this at all. Unemployment is supposed to be more of a safety net, not a long term solution.

Also,there are no jobs. Your corporate overlords sent them all to China and India. What are these poor people going to do?

Edit- Do any other countries in the West have such a terrible cruel welfare system? I have never heard of one.

Yes, the UK

2nd Line

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join