It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I've been out of work for awhile.... Search every week (we need at least 3 verifiable searches a week, trust me I go above that)... I have a BA from the University of Rhode Island (Rhode Island currently has over 11 percent unemployment rate).

Just today, for example, I was denied for an entry level job that was looking for a high school graduate with 2 years accounts payable experience (which I have). It was for one of my favorite companies and it was disheartening to receive that letter (they all are). Again, I'm not sure what's going on. I really think there's a stigma attached to being unemployed (I was laid off), and it doesn't matter what experience/ education I have, I'm just written off and oddly enough America also hates me.... It shows in this thread.

I was a GM/ Director at my old position mind you, then the economy hit us and we restructured and I was laid off. To lump ever person in on being a free loader and lazy, is ill spoken. When I search for work, granted I search for work appropriate for my experience/ education level. Mind you, I've also submitted numerous applications for general labor as well... And nothing. Even was turned down for custodial work numerous times.I've also contacted every contact I've ever had and gave them a resume. I search ever day....

This mentality of hating on those who are going through rough times BS has to stop. What the hell is wrong with America. You hate on those who are unemployed, but don't question the regulations and oversees job shipments from the last 30 years? I'm currently almost done with EUC benefits (I think tomorrow is my last filing), and debating going on State Extended (I'm sick of the whole process and public scorn, but hey what am I too do). I'm really thinking of saying screw it, and trying my hand at my own small business when this is all said and done. I've had family ask me if I'd like personal loans, and I've passed so far... Rethinking it now.

Do you people think those on unemployment are living off the hog? Really? I personally made almost nothing this past year (just short of being below the poverty line). I don't collect Food stamps (even though I qualify). I just lost my Medical Insurance (I was paying out of pocket for 600+ a month). My savings is almost exhausted. I am selling off all my belongings to try and keep up. I lost my apartment. My college loan payments are now starting to pile up.

But yeah, living the sweet life, eh?

I don't think most American's have empathy until they have to experience it themselves. And trust me, it's just an election year... Things are going to appear to be better until the election. There's only sooooo long that they can prop up this BS economy, before we're all in a sinking boat, and we're all forced to have 3 jobs, without the jobs being there...

edit on 12-5-2012 by squidboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Very sensible post.
I find it amazing that US, as a country, is the biggest help donor in the world, and yet most people here seem to rejoy in some mass of people loosing any income.
Mind you, I am not here to tell you how you should run your country (I am obviously not American), but these absolute opposite facts (biggest world donor vs no pension for its own people) amaze me.
Eventhouh I fully agree that we (same in my country) do not want people lazying around and just wait for the check to come, rather than simply cut these people's pension, we should have some incentives to get these people back to work.
I am afraid that by simply cutting their welfare, this is going to turn some of this people into "gangsters", thugs (sorry can't find a better word now). This will just increase crime rate.
I believe that incentives to get these people back to work is the key.
now, if I had THE solution, I would not be writing on this forum but more probably run for some elections.
A first shot would be to have a PROPERLY WORKING Job Research centers network.
Another point, I do not know the situation in the US, but in many countries (such as mine), you cannot be employed for a job that is below your degree level. For instance if you have an engineering degree, you cannot be employed as a technician.
Therefore I find it very harsh to say "I have a job, why can't they", I am afraid it is not that simple, that clean cut.
I always think of my country as a team, rather than expelling a guy because of his behaviour, etc. we should work on getting him more involved in the team, make him want to be part of the team and use his energy for the team.
Sounds a bit hippie, but it is my humanist approach.
Just my 2 cents

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

What should be done to the people that abuse it? In fact we could create an agency that does a case by case study of people on different government benefits to see who is abusing it...that would create jobs and get rid of the people that are abusing it....I work as a cop and I can't tell you how many people I come across that are on "disability" but will fight us easily. If you think people aren't abusing it then you are ignorant...and it goes both ways because if everyone in this thread thinks its easy to find a job in 2-3 months...its not either. I think it works both ways...and it should be enforced more. I have several diseases that would easily make me disabled yet I continue to work through the pain because it will give my family a better life. Get rid of the ones abusing it and we will have more money for the ones that need it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

I wish you luck and happiness!! Dont give up!! I am in the process of looking for a second job, because I cant make it on my own with only one job.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

There are plenty of jobs. I am employed with three companies. Only one of my jobs is a "good" job, the other two are for supplemental income. They could get jobs.. 79 weeks is 1.5 years. If you can't find a job in 1.5 years you should do the world a favor and check out early.

I worked for 11 years solid since the age of 16 and when the recession hit, my workplace closed down. I was unemployed for 3 years(minus 6 months doing commision only jobs/slave labour) because no employer would even give me an interview due to my lack of skills. All my previous jobs were unskilled labour and when there is a recession on, there is a lot of competition.

I now work for the queen but that is only because I aced the tests in the application and fortunately for me, my employer looked for ability, not history. I can only imagine how many clever, frustrated people there are out there that could be really successful if they were just given a chance...

Hell, most employers don't even bother to read half the applications they are sent, nevermind offer interviews.

P.S No wonder there are so many unemployed, you are hogging all the jobs!

edit on 12-5-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm not a guy, and I started doing a hard landscaping job and I'm moving thousands of pounds of soil a day by hand basically. I can only go so fast, and lift so much. No matter how much harder I want to work, I can't possibly lift more than I can, but I'm out there hauling ass to make up for not being huge.

I used to be on unemployment a while ago, and many of the people there could easily do my job easier than I could, yet I'm out there busting my ass, they are on unemployment.

Annoying yes, but at least I have the job

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What I DO know is that my work is seasonal and during winter, I must draw unemployment! The company I work for PAYS unemployment insurance. If people should not collect unemployment insurance, then our employers should not have to pay for it, simple as that! Shame on some of you people for trying to make others feel useless for using what the system sets out for a safety net! Do you shills really think that our employers would pay out for something of little or no value? I must say that IMHO the government should not be involved in the process anyway! People can recognize the value of a devoted employee perfectly well on their own!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

especially knowing that you dont know me...

Who the hell would want to ? You display all the compassion of a waterbuffalo. I tell ya what a chance to prove your not a troll. Put up the name and number of just one recruiter you say will hire you make it possible for us to check that ? Your name What you do ? Don't need your phone no.

If not, you're a troll.
edit on 12-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Personally, I dont have a problem with this at all. Unemployment is supposed to be more of a safety net, not a long term solution.

So what happens to these people now? What will they do?

And dont you care?

Edit- I find the basic lack of empathy in America to be disturbing. And it seems to go beyond a lack of empathy. It seems many Americans delight in the misfortunes of others.

Also,there are no jobs. Your corporate overlords sent them all to China and India. What are these poor people going to do?
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Edit- Do any other countries in the West have such a terrible cruel welfare system? I have never heard of one.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

I feel bad for them. That doesn't mean that I'm willing to support them, however. I'm scraping by supporting my own family. Aren't you?

Also, you say "there are no jobs". This is completely false, as there are plenty of jobs. What you should say is "there are no jobs that people are willing to take to do whatever they have to in order to survive". All 6 Taco Bells in my home town are hiring. 4 of the 7 McDonald's are hiring. There are custodial jobs all over town. Lawn mowing services, builders need someone that can wield a hammer...it goes on and on. But they can't find people willing to put aside their greed to take these jobs.

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ratcals
I'm 49 years old and I have NEVER collected unemployment in my entire life. So seriously, you can't find any job in 79 weeks? Not buying it.

You know what? I have to agree with you there.

My husband lost his job, the company went belly up.

What did he do? Did he sit on his behind and cry and whine about having to take a menial job? Nope!

He went to work in a gas station and works in a grocery store.

My neighbor lady down the road who is 40 years old lost her job too, and she went to work in a Mc Donalds until she got a better job.

Just not buying the whole "I can't get a job" thing...... there ARE jobs out there, but the question is, do you want to do them or sit and collect welfare?

Oh and my brother lost his job, and he started a taxi service with two vehicles and now has a nice business.

Welfare should be cut off after 1 year. Up here you can get welfare only 3 years out of your life and you can't get more at all.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by jhn7537

especially knowing that you dont know me...

Who the hell would want to ? You display all the compassion of a waterbuffalo. I tell ya what a chance to prove your not a troll. Put up the name and number of just one recruiter you say will hire you make it possible for us to check that ? Your name What you do ? Don't need your phone no.

If not, you're a troll.
edit on 12-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

LOL, so that's what I need to do to prove that I'm not a troll??? You're obviously unstable, so why would i put myself out there like that?? So you can try to sabotage my career? No thank you... I honestly have NOTHING to prove to you, I am beyond compassion, I just feel that there NEEDS to be limits to Govt. hand outs, or things will never change... You just sound like some bitter unemployed person, im sorry if YOU cant find work out there, and just because YOU cant find work it doesnt mean that the system is broken... The fact remains that I do get approached by recruiters and head hunters on a regular basis on LinkedIn, you dont need to be a hater because of that...

And for the record, I work for an IT consulting and management company, my industry isnt hurting...
edit on 12-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

year and half of collecting unemployment

No one deserves collecting 547 days of someone elses sweat and blood that is just ridiculous.

There are jobs out there that most Americans will not lower their standards money is money paying your bills is paying your bills.

Well to be honest, I doubt the way that the government here is just creating money out of thin air that unemployment is coming out of anyone's pocket. So, so much for someone else's blood and sweat.

And as for lowering your standards to take a lower end job, well.. Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and hour..

So a 40hr week (If you can find one...) is $290, after taxes and S.S. it's more like $180-$210

So if we take the low ball figure of $210 X's 4 we get $840 a month.

My rent here in central Florida on a crappy 2bdrm in a crappy neighborhood rife with crime and murder is $700 a month, that leaves $140 a month or $35 a week for living, bills, kids, gas, car payment..

Here's how my bills look, $700-RENT, $200-Electricity, $100-Cable TV+Internet, $80-Car Insurance, $200-Food, $60-Water, $100-Gas all in a month..

So to keep my light on and fed and the basics.. I'm looking at $1440 a month all going out with nothing for savings.. Luckily enough I work online and make more than that, but not MUCH More.. BUT If I were stuck in a minimum wage job ($7.25ph) I would be SCREWED. And 75% of the people I know here are stuck in just that position.

The deal is, folks see big business getting fat on the hog on their expense and figure.. I'm gonna get mine.. It's not like it was 80yrs ago where you could open your own store for $100 out of pocket. Now a days you need a 5yr plan to rent a spot, you need to get licenses and pay fee's and TONS of other expenses just to open even the smallest of businesses. Things have changed, I was raised by my grandparents... Depression era folks.. and I have heard nothing but stories about their America, odd but none of them match up with my America.

-Mus

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Also, you say "there are no jobs". This is completely false, as there are plenty of jobs. What you should say is "there are no jobs that people are willing to take to do whatever they have to in order to survive".

I guess that's what the richest country in the world, the #1 superpower has reduced it's people to? Wait let me quote you.. "do whatever they have to in order to survive"

??

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
Anyone saying there are no jobs is a liar. People have to accept the fact that they are going to have to accept these "crap jobs" that they are apparently above. With my qualifications I could make more than $60,000 a year. I have applied but have been denied. So what did I do? I mean, besides collecting the unemployment to hold my family and I afloat? Well, I kept trying. Now, I'm starting to apply to all the places like 7-11, Taco Bell, CVS, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, all these places with "NOW HIRING" signs in their windows. I'm willing to take on two or three of these jobs to help my family get by for now WHILE looking for work that meets my qualifications and what I want. That's how you have to work the job market. You can't be picky. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty. If I have to pump septic tanks and pick up animal feces for a living, you bet your @$$ that's what I'm going to do until I find something better. A job is a job and it's better than no job.

It is so refreshing to see this attitude here. My husband was working at a job making 54 k a year. Company shut down, now he makes....... now get this...... $1,200 a month at one job he works.

Does he complain? Does he cry about going to the welfare office? Nope.

He is blessed with good health and a good attitude about life. And has never been above working any job.

I have been in a situation where we had to take emergency food assistance, but I didn't live on it for a whole year either.

A hand out should be a hand UP and welfare should not be a lifestyle choice.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
There are plenty of jobs. I am employed with three companies. Only one of my jobs is a "good" job, the other two are for supplemental income.

there would be if not for people like You!
two people are out of work becuse of you!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
There are plenty of jobs. I am employed with three companies. Only one of my jobs is a "good" job, the other two are for supplemental income.

there would be if not for people like You!
two people are out of work becuse of you!

Please, like this guy wants to have too work
3 jobs, he landed, he got them, so what.

Let the man work 10 jobs if he can do it,
who are you to say it is his fault..

INSANE

Blame POTUS and his admin not this guy
he is just trying to feed his family
not steal from the american people their hard work
edit on 12-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
From a British perspective, I think welfare is an important part of a capitalist democratic government. What use is a government that's only function is to administrate, often without even acting in the public's best interest?

I'd much rather tax goes towards feeding citizens than killing those of other countries, or building weapons in case the government wants to in future.

Of course people should be incentivised, but throwing someone in the deep end isn't always an appropriate solution. Many of those people would probably have been trying their hardest to find work and earn an honest living. Its only a few that game the system.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
ever one in work pays the Gov.
so that That money can help the out of work.

how much does the Gov get from this?
how huch is left over?
and what does the Gov do with the rest?

I would bet they use it to give them selfs a pay rise.
you are being use'd.
if not for war, we could all work just 25 hours a week.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It perplexes me that no one wonders about the why.

Why are we forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to support ourselves?
Why are we forced to work so many hours, waste so many days, months, years of our lifes?
Why is the system the way it is?
Why are people dying in the streets, or barely scraping by?
Why do we live to work, if that is no life at all?
Why is the value of someone, decided by the amount of cash/possessions? Why isn't it defined by true value?

The system is broken, all of it, every single piece.
We're all unique, with unique talents and character traits, not everyone can do everything, nor should it be like that.
And it is deshuman the way people are put aside like mere numbers on a math equation, common people, compassion is a gift and virtude, use it.
We are all human beings, and share the same rights and duties.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evansr
It perplexes me that no one wonders about the why.

Why are we forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to support ourselves?
Why are we forced to work so many hours, waste so many days, months, years of our lifes?
Why is the system the way it is?
Why are people dying in the streets, or barely scraping by?
Why do we live to work, if that is no life at all?
Why is the value of someone, decided by the amount of cash/possessions? Why isn't it defined by true value?

The system is broken, all of it, every single piece.
We're all unique, with unique talents and character traits, not everyone can do everything, nor should it be like that.
And it is deshuman the way people are put aside like mere numbers on a math equation, common people, compassion is a gift and virtude, use it.
We are all human beings, and share the same rights and duties.

I dont feel that we are forced to work 2-3 jobs... At least I'm not
I dont feel that we are forced to work so many hours... I work around 50 a week, and im happy
I dont see any issue with this system, I work a job, I expect to work hard and in return be compensated fairly
I dont see people dying in the streets or barely scraping by. I think you are painting an extreme picture
I dont necessaril live to work, but I do enjoy work so it makes it easier. working = money = opportunity
I dont believe that a person is defined by just cash and possessions, but your "true" vaue will help determine how much cash and possessions one will likely earn in their life time...
For some the system is broke, for others it isnt...
edit on 12-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join