It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This OP is full of the same BS, that everyone who is lucky enough to still be working is so full of, thier eyes are brown. Him ha and hough hough then when their job is gone or thier business or thier practice goes under ?
Thier always the ones who scream like lil girls at thier first pajama party. Most people who have worked enough to gain unemployment checks would rather be working. So get off your bounce pony !

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
While the following is a reality:

You are not going to believe how much money is being spent on our former presidents. At a time when U.S. government spending is wildly out of control, a total of 3.6 million dollars is being used to support the lavish lifestyles of former presidents such as George W. Bush and Bill Clinton in 2012. For 2013, the plan is to increase that amount to 3.7 million dollars. But do any of them really need this kind of welfare? The truth is that all of them are very wealthy. So what justification is there for giving them so much money? You can see the GSA budget proposal for former presidents for 2013 right here. The 3.7 million dollars for 2013 does not even include the cost of Secret Service protection.

Rather, it only covers expenses such as office rentals, travel, phone bills, postage, printing and pension benefits. Certainly it is not unreasonable to grant former presidents a small pension, but should we be showering them with millions of dollars each year? At a time when the federal government is drowning in so much debt, the fact that these former presidents are willing to take such huge amounts of taxpayer money really does make them look like parasites.

So why are these former presidents getting this money?

Congress passed The Former Presidents Act of 1958 because they didn't want other presidents to end up as poor as Harry Truman did.

Well, these days former presidents are definitely not in danger of ending up poor. But this law does enable former presidents to stick the U.S. taxpayer with some absolutely outrageous bills.

For example, George W. Bush is scheduled to get $1,356,000 from U.S. taxpayers in 2013.

$85,000 of that will be for phone expenses.

He must have a really, really bad calling plan.

Bill Clinton is scheduled to get $1,019,000 from U.S. taxpayers in 2013.

A whopping $442,000 of that will be for office space.

That breaks down to more than $36,000 a month.

I hope that office space is nice.

Perhaps he needs a lot of office space to hide from Hillary.

George H.W. Bush is scheduled to get $879,000 from U.S. taxpayers in 2013.

$63,000 of that total will be going toward "equipment".

How many iPads does he really need?

Even the old peanut farmer, Jimmy Carter, will be getting $518,000 from U.S. taxpayers in 2013.

But do they even need this money?

Exactly how wealthy are these former presidents?

Well, it turns out that they are very, very wealthy.

Bill Clinton earned an estimated $41 million in speaking fees during the first six years after he left office. He also received a $12 million advance for for his memoir, My Life.

George W. Bush earned an estimated $15 million in speaking fees during just the first two years after he left office.

So why are we spending millions to support these guys?

Perhaps this is yet another question that we don't have an answer to. We can add it to the list....

-Why do chimps throw poop?

The federal government has spent $592,527 to try to find the answer.

-Do unhappy people spend more time on Twitter or on Facebook?

The federal government has spent $198,000 in an attempt to get an answer.

-How do rats respond to jazz music when they are high on coc aine?

Your tax dollars are being spent to get to the bottom of it.

-Does coc aine cause Japanese quail to engage in sexually risky behavior?

The federal government has spent $175,587 to find out the truth.

Right now there are more than 100 million working age Americans that do not have jobs, and this is the kind of nonsense that the federal government is spending money on.

Shame on these former presidents for taking this money.

If our Congress critters are looking for a place to cut the federal budget, this would be a good place to start.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

The Philippines, for example, do absolutely nothing to help the poor. The hierarchy is too busy making sure they stay rich that a majority of the country goes poor. I've seen it first hand.

Oh but wait, Philippines is a puppet of America. It's our fault they're like that.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Guess people just seem to forget who was in charge of that?

Guess!!!

Starts with G and sounds like GSA.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Where will these people go ? Straight to the welfare office where they can get jerked around by thier country some more. Why ? Because there is no alternative. Nothing that Jose, Jaime' or Jaquin isn't already doing..

Being out of work is horrible, you feel betrayed by your country, worthless to your wife and on top of all that.
They get to have all that thrown in their face by someone who has never had to sit and wait for pathetic unemployment check. Woopie ! the dream is still alive for you isn't it ? With gasoline causing more and more of your ducketts to evaporate.
edit on 11-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My hubby has been unemployed about 50 weeks.
He can't find a job and he's looking- every day he looks, sends resumes, ect.
There's 2 interviews he got recently, hope at least one pans out.

His last job he worked 26 years nearly- before that he was in the military. Only jobs he ever had.
He's a very good, hard worker. He's always overqualified or they are being very, very picky about certain subsets of skills that he doesn't have and can't GET without OTJ training. Not a lot of people willing to invest in training anyone around here, the pickings are too good on the unemployed.

I'm not talking basic skills you can get or learn, I mean like 2+ years of Proprietary Software only our company uses 2.0

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Oh, but didn't you hear? The economy is on an upturn!!!
They just feed us a line of #.
edit on 11-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

Oh but wait, Philippines is a puppet of America. It's our fault they're like that.

Exactly. Im glad you understand Imperialism. Then again,if you did you would know that China is State Capitalist.

And Im glad you guys are better off than the Philippines

They are not far from here. I can buy a hot philippino chick for a couple grand. I know guys that have. I wonder how long before I can buy an American bride? Cant be far away.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Edit- sorry about jumping in there realspoke. I knew you knew.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is what time it is OP.

The american dream isn't just over. It's about to become the biggest nightmare you can imagine.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
thanks george and alan

for nuttin

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

So because a party calls themself communist that makes them practice communist teachings? Wrong.

Germanicus answered for me... China operates under state capitalism. If you knew anything about China or the various economic theories, you would know this. Educate yourself.

www.washingtonpost.com...
www.forbes.com...
www.forbes.com...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

How about working for a company for 16 years.

16 "Exceeds expectation reviews"

98% Accuracy rating (checked all my financial reports and state forms 3 times, to ensure accuracy.

And at 58, being a "older" woman, told my job of 16 years would be handed over to "Team India".

Here in America if you are a woman without several college degrees and "connections" and over 45 your chances of landing a good job are about as good as finding a snowball in hell.

Our government allowing corporations to hand over American Citizen's jobs to people in foreign countries is wrong.

Our American Government has messed over the people they were suppose to "serve" and "represent".

They walk away with medical and retirement benefits you and I could only dream about.

We now have approximately 46 million Americans with no Health Insurance.

How many foreclosures?????

While our tax dollars are handed over to the military and government.

Love when Senator Joe Walsh signs his e-mails, "I work for you".

BS

You don't understand because the brown stuff hasn't hit your fan...............................yet.

Read my location.
edit on 11-5-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

reply to post by RealSpoke

Not quite sure America would be entering that kind of extreme. At least in our lifetime...maybe...hell, you never know, it could.

My point is that while we're not exactly all sunshine and farts here, things could be worse.

And I've learned something here. Goes to show I still have a lot to learn about some things.
edit on 5/11/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: Wacky Force Never Igniting Walls Over Queens

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

My point is that while we're not exactly all sunshine and farts here, things could be worse.

Some of us can see that it's about to get every bit of that worse too.

Let me tell all of you people something right now. Go down to your local 7 eleven, Stop-n-go, circle K or gas station, ARCO. And just see if someone doesn't hit you up for any change you can spare ? That is a very bad sign in case you didn't realize it. What use to be rare ? You can now be sure of.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yes, panhandling has always been a problem where I live. Tends to in big cities. But there have also been a lot of people outed for basically going to the next town over to panhandle when they didn't need to. I don't know. Most of the time I have to ignore them because the integrity of these people are highly questionable.

When I was living in Ocean Beach, I actually asked a homeless guy if he wanted to wash my car to earn $20. He told me to...well, he wasn't very nice. Why would you not do that? I'd wash someones car for less than that if I were homeless. Just sayin'. That's just me, though.
edit on 5/11/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: I hate grammar and spelling sometimes....seriously...hate it...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You seem to be suffering from a misconception. Not all of those people panhandling are homeless. Most that I see now days are out of gas and trying to get home. It's not that they aren't on the up and up at all. It's that they don't have any money. as for the homeless guy ? It's anyones guess what personality you are gaining attention of and I can top that.

I use to see this homeless guy all the time on the same street walking. One day I stopped after I had just got paid.
I walk up to the guy with a twenty. Just to maybe get a good dinner of something ? He sneered and said," nah just get away from me ! I don't need your money", as he went out of his way to walk right around me..

And that wasn't for washing my car, shinning a shoe or even giving directions.

So you don't know ! Maybe the guy just didn't want your stinking money !

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I did say I don't know. Just like I don't know if the story I'm being given is true. In San Diego, there are a lot of con artists who will use any story just get an extra buck from someones sympathy.

Misconception? Most likely in some cases. Some people just legitimately fell on hard times and bad luck. Those are the ones I would help in a heart beat. It's just hard to tell the difference between which is which.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Now days you don't know which one is trying to set you up even. Scope how much money you got on you, whatever. So it's better to be safe and just say not today partner. Anyways what was I ranting about again ? Oh unemployment !

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThoughtIsMadness
reply to post by jhn7537

You act like the US government going broke is caused by the unemployed in the US, when in reality the unemployment in the US is caused by the US government. Give your head a shake. It is the policies of the government and their ties to the central bank that is and will continue to bring the economy in the US to it's knees. You cannot give constant bailouts to any corporations on the scale and frequency that is demanded by the central bank and expect it not to have an effect on the economy as a whole.

There isnt one single reason out there, the reason why we're struggling is because of a multitude of things.... Paying unemployment and welfare is just one of the many reasons why our country is going broke...A lot of people are mentioning that the Govt. should FORCE these corporations to bring back jobs... Who the hell is the Govt. to tell any corporation what to do??Its not their place...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I agree. No reason anyone shouldn't be able to find a job in that time even if it's not a job they like. Lazy asses.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join