200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Ha! Thats the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

You comfort yourself by telling yourself that you are better than the people that have less money than you do dont you? I can tell.

Are you protected for when the next collapse happens that you cheer for? Stocked up on gold bonds? Or is it just that cash you have in the piggy bank? Gold bonds wont help you by the way.

And Im afraid I cant talk about what I do here on ATS. Lets just say its very good pay and very good hours. U2U me if you want. Lets just say I dont envy you. And on top of that,I dont think Im better than someone that has less than me.

And on topic- Like I said,there are not enough jobs for Americans. And it is harder for alot of Americans than it is for you. Many have poor education and poor skills.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Ha! Thats the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

You comfort yourself by telling yourself that you are better than the people that have less money than you do dont you? I can tell.

Are you protected for when the next collapse happens that you cheer for? Stocked up on gold bonds? Or is it just that cash you have in the piggy bank? Gold bonds wont help you by the way.

And Im afraid I cant talk about what I do here on ATS. Lets just say its very good pay and very good hours. U2U me if you want. Lets just say I dont envy you. And on top of that,I dont think Im better than someone that has less than me.

And on topic- Like I said,there are not enough jobs for Americans. And it is harder for alot of Americans than it is for you. Many have poor education and poor skills.

Why? Is your job not legal? I'm not going to u2u you and ask - but your refusal to talk about what you do tells me that you're either dealing or stealing. Forgive me if I'm wrong but this is the impression you leave. That's not a job, but it will get you shelter, clothing and 3 square meals. Good luck with that.

My parents moved to another state when I was 16. I was obviously still in high school I stayed here and have been on my own since then. I didn't go live with someone else's mommy either, I got a job and a roomate. I worked my ass off to get an education and a decent life. Don't tell me people don't have opportunities that I did without knowing who I am.

I don't think I'm better than anyone. It's not a question of "better" it's a question of who's working to sustain themselves and who's just extra weight. I don't care if you're flipping burgers or sending people to the moon, as long as you aren't afraid to work hard to take care of yours.
edit on 11-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If someone has a poor education who's fault is it?
If a person has poor job skills, who's fault is it?

Personal responsibility is GONE! It's hard, getting skills, getting an education, pounding the pavement looking for work.

It's easy though, to blame others.
edit on 11-5-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Well on top of the poor skills and poor education. Many are not as intelligent as you and many are not as resourceful as you are. Especially when there are so few good jobs. And I can understand people not wanting to work crap jobs to be honest.

And I wouldnt steal anything unless its from an Insurance Corporation or something. And I dont hurt anyone.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Personal responsibility is GONE! It's hard, getting skills, getting an education, pounding the pavement looking for work.

Its generally the parents fault. People do not choose their parents do they?

It is quite easy to blame others isnt it? I see you do that alot here.

Also,getting skills and education cost money. Not that they seem to be worth much when I read about Americans with massive student debt and they work as janitors. An education isnt worth much when there are few jobs. Especially when its so expensive.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Its generally the parents fault. People do not choose their parants do they?

I accuse
I point out discrepancies
I reveal flaws

Now you blame parents?

Personal responsibility. It's gone. Taking care of things yourself, gone.

My personal life has always been about being accountable for my actions. Good and bad.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Its generally the parents fault. People do not choose their parants do they?

If you're living with your parents and under a certain age, I think 24 or 26, and your parents are poor, you can go to college virtually free. It might not be university, but you could go to tech school (like me) or community college and at least secure a job in a good field.

If you don't live with your parents it's based on your income alone. Even if you're 50 and make under a certain amount you can get up to $5500 a year for college. There are plenty of opportunities for those who seek them out. All these people on unemployment could have collected a $5500 pel grant and been 3/4 of the way through with their Associates, or in some cases already done.

There is no excuse for sitting around doing nothing and then complaining when the free ride ends. If there are some who are losing their unemployment and have legitimately tried to do something, I really do feel bad for them. I don't think they should keep collecting though - they should go get whatever they can find and keep looking for something better.

ETA: That $5500 is free money. You never need to pay it back. If your tuition is more you can get a part time job, or a student loan. The less income you have the more free money you get - so in this regard it's advantageous to be poor.
edit on 11-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Its generally the parents fault. People do not choose their parents do they?

Also,getting skills and education cost money. Not that they seem to be worth much when I read about Americans with massive student debt and they work as janitors. An education isnt worth much when there are few jobs. Especially when its so expensive.
edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

You provide excuses for not being responsible.

Please continue. You're validating my point.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
That's a huge bummer for them.

I hope that they can find work somewhere.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Why havn't they got a job yet??

Oh leeching off the system as long
as they can then complain i see

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i would say to those that scorn others less fortunate than themselves - remember only this - you could one day find yourself at the mercy of the compassion of society. it's happened to people from all social strata. it's happening now. when and if you find yourself adrift from the flock, think back to how you looked upon 'those people'. and don't cry when you are left alone to live or die by your own means, or lack thereof. you were, after all, ultimately, just another statistic. and you only had yourself to blame.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
im sorry their unemployment
is gone, but how long do they expect
it to last though? i understand
a safety net but my god it cant go on forever

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

boy do you need a lesson on out sourcing jobs to another country while allowing boarder unpoliced....you Trippin Bigtime

by now the real numbers on fall offs of unemployment are 400,000 thats the number of jobs lost in 2009 every week........how shallow our memory...then a guy in shiny white armor stands before you and says "I can fix it all"
edit on 11-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

America is crap compared to other places. Does anywhere else have temporary unemployment? And the food stamps thing is horrible. It looks like a nightmare of a place to live in. And you have so many homeless and people living in Tent Cities. It looks like a third world country in many ways.

I just cant understand a place that will cut a person off like how you guys do. I assume none of these people have children but still.It seems cruel. In Australia there are people that have been unemployed their whole lives. Many are lost causes. But what do you do with them? Let them starve? Create petty crooks. Its better to pay them enough to live. People call guys like this 'dole bludgers' and stuff but I dont think many Australians would want them to starve or become petty crooks. I dont know much about welfare in Europe but I assume it cant be worse or more cruel than America's. Yet all you guys seem to do is complain about the poor. Then when people protest the corporatists that send the jobs away,you guys say they hate America. Its crazy.

Welfare is a safety valve for society. America is going to exlode if you guys keep this stuff up. Telling people to starve is no solution.

link   

year and half of collecting unemployment

No one deserves collecting 547 days of someone elses sweat and blood that is just ridiculous.

There are jobs out there that most Americans will not lower their standards money is money paying your bills is paying your bills.

Having someone else foot the bill because they think they are too good for that?

Well No.

link   
Anyone saying there are no jobs is a liar. People have to accept the fact that they are going to have to accept these "crap jobs" that they are apparently above. With my qualifications I could make more than $60,000 a year. I have applied but have been denied. So what did I do? I mean, besides collecting the unemployment to hold my family and I afloat? Well, I kept trying. Now, I'm starting to apply to all the places like 7-11, Taco Bell, CVS, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, all these places with "NOW HIRING" signs in their windows. I'm willing to take on two or three of these jobs to help my family get by for now WHILE looking for work that meets my qualifications and what I want. That's how you have to work the job market. You can't be picky. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty. If I have to pump septic tanks and pick up animal feces for a living, you bet your @$$ that's what I'm going to do until I find something better. A job is a job and it's better than no job.

And yeah, I know I'm part of the problem. I'm collecting on the unemployment. But you know, the unemployment benefits you receive are paid for by your former employer. Or something like that. Not sure if that's actually true. Made me feel better about it and my pride didn't feel so bruised. It's not like I'm enjoying being on unemployment and sitting at home all day while my wife works. I hate this. But until I either find a job that will equal the payments I'm getting or my benefits run out, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
edit on 5/11/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: hoopity gloopity floopity doopity

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
Anyone saying there are no jobs is a liar. People have to accept the fact that they are going to have to accept these "crap jobs" that they are apparently above. With my qualifications I could make more than $60,000 a year. I have applied but have been denied. So what did I do? I mean, besides collecting the unemployment to hold my family and I afloat? Well, I kept trying. Now, I'm starting to apply to all the places like 7-11, Taco Bell, CVS, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, all these places with "NOW HIRING" signs in their windows. I'm willing to take on two or three of these jobs to help my family get by for now WHILE looking for work that meets my qualifications and what I want. That's how you have to work the job market. You can't be picky. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty. If I have to pump septic tanks and pick up animal feces for a living, you bet your @$$ that's what I'm going to do until I find something better. A job is a job and it's better than no job.

love some taco bell yo
cvs would be an easy job
try hard labor construction work
and roofing.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
im sorry their unemployment
is gone, but how long do they expect
it to last though? i understand
a safety net but my god it cant go on forever

sure it can "Print baby Print"

heard China is going to move in and set up shop
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here's something I've seen happen to a few people with regards to unemployment.

when you get laid off it's basically your word vs the ex-employer.

Companies are broke these days and will do anything to save money. So i've seen companies that laid someone off later tell unemployment that the person seeking his ED claim was terminated. Their HR looks good and gets a better bonus or at least protects their job security because they saved the company a hundred bucks a month or whatever.

It's illegal, but then again its just your word vs theirs. if you don't like it you can appeal and sue. but that process takes months to a year to collect. Not going to help or be really worth it. Also, the employer knows that you are broke or nearly destitute and can't do a damned thing about it anyways in terms of suing. So they have nothing to fear.

So yeah the ED system could use some revamping

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Safety nets, safety valves are designed to aid those that have fallen.

But remember, safety nets were NOT designed to help you succeed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join