It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic weapon to be on standby at the Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I love a display of tech but didn't think it would be at the Olympics I thought this stuff was for overseas conflict? Not in our own backyard. What scenario do they see at the Olympics where this might be necessary?

www.bbc.co.uk...

Check the breaking news on the BBC website

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by markygee

Olympics are where athletes from around the World challenge each other in contest to see who is the best of the best.

It's also where Governments can bring out their toys and brag "this is how I keep my peasants in line!"

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
According to the MoD, this is to be used in the loud speaker mode rather than the more unpleasant mode, although they didn't rule out using it to disperse rioters or challenge marine threats, which is what I gather is it's primary use.

That said, we're not exactly first in the queue for this tech, it is widely used by the US Military and many Police forces around the world.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Olympics are where athletes from around the World challenge each other in contest to see who is the best of the best.

It's also where Governments can bring out their toys and brag "this is how I keep my peasants in line!"

Well were quite prepared for all eventualities including the scenario where the peasants need blasting with pain inducing sound equipment. In fact it reminds me of other Olympics past where the peasants were so badly behaved they needed hi tech equipment to keep them in line such as ...er...well the ...er...oh thats right there hasn't ever been one a situation like that.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
"Come in number nine your time is up".
Long range control of Rowing boats on the Serpentine?
Hehe.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

"Peasant slapping" aside, which is fun we can all enjoy, this is highly unlikely to be used on crowds in the pain inducing mode. What is more likely is it will be used to intercept a marine threat on the Thames (hence it's positioning) as it has already proven effective at buggering up more than one Somali pirates afternoon...

This is really only going to see a use in directing the huge throngs of people. It has also proven effective as a loud speaker which can be heard very well over thousands of people, so if a message needs to be broadcast quickly and clearly, this is the tool for the job...

Anyhoo, does anyone not remember Beijing 2008, Athens 2004 or other Olympics before hand? Security has always been a top priority, as terrorists have attacked the Olympics before.

Also, London 2012 is not the first time SAM's have been deployed either.

I think a lot of the fear on hear about ruining a peasants day is simple paranoia, but there is quite a bit of that on this board these days, often grounded in little fact and an even smaller amount of critical, sensible thinking.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I read up on it a lil, and it seems like it;s primary funtion is to broadcast verbal messages if need be to dispurse a crowd or maybe give instructions in a disaster

don't think the weapon mode would be used unless it get real

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Indeed. The political fallout alone of using it on a large crowd would be a little too much for the Government to bear unless they had a very good reason for doing so.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

So what you're saying is.... if you plan on rioting, wear ear plugs.

Not that I can recall anyone ever rioting at the Olympics.

However.. if I had to look at that massive red monstrosity y'all call an observation tower I'd probably try and incite a mob to tear it down. Seriously.. I hope you guys are taking that thing down after the games are finished.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Pretty much...

But I think the stated aim is the correct one, namely it is to be used for large scale announcements which it is ideally suited for.

There is a lot of fuss over the security prep for this years Olympics, but to be honest it isn't much more than in any previous Games. I think just because it's London and we're seen, for some reason, to be held to totally different standards than, say, Beijing, Athens or Sydney... It's ok if they deploy SAM;s, Fighter jets and soldiers, but if the UK does it then it's obviously because we want to kill all the plebs and institute the Global reign of our Glorious, Reptilian Queen...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well.. after the last bout of rioting.. and considering London seems to have riots and large protests more often than other major international cities I think it's a good thing to be prepared.

I don't think military installations are needed, which would primarily be used against conventional forces.. unless Britain anticipates a Russian invasion.
It does seem that every set of Games there is a larger and larger military presence. Can't wait to see what Russia will deploy.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
America has used them on their own citizens during protests, so don't think for one second that it wouldn't happen elsewhere.

They can be purchased by individual police jurisdictions, they aren't just for the military anymore!

join