Windows VS. Linux - Anyone use SliTaz?

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering what people are using these days. Windows to me is worthless, not very secure, and a resource hogger. If you use linux, which distro are you using? What does it feature and how would you rate it against windows xp? or even higher. If you prefer windows, share your reasons.

FYI: SliTaz is a lightweight, stable, fast, linux operating system.

I pulled an old Inspiron 1200 (with Windows Xp installed) out of my closet a couple of months ago and turned it on. It was so slow I couldn't even use it. I looked for an alternative, started with ubuntu, went down to lubuntu, and finally SliTaz. I've been using SliTaz for a while and So far it's been great for me, but i'm still getting used to having to use the terminal. (Something you never have to do in windows)
It's super small so it doesn't use much of your recources. It's perfect for bringing back old computers or notebooks to life. It comes packaged with all kinds of useful programs and has it's own program catalog. I think you need 100 mb of free disk space to install it. You can even boot it from a usb stick.


edit on 11-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)




posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Yes, I love Linux, or as I've taken to calling it lately GNU/Linux .....



Using XP on my main laptop (need certain programs that don't play nice with WINE), Ubuntu on my kid's "be good" laptop, 7 on my DAW, BT installed on an old Dell Inspiron for networking utilities and python stuff, and an old Debian installation for SAN, SSH and Apache server, and of course a rooted Android device.

Damn, I think I have more computers than I know what to do with!



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't know much about computers but for a long time I have been cogitating over the monopoly Windows and Microsoft has on the computer market. I have long wondered how much farther we could have advanced with operating bysystem competition. Personally, I think Microsoft is holding back faster and more secure operating systems from those independents who can design them. But, like most of the planet, I am stuck with what they "allow" me to have. Or maybe I just don't know about computers and should worship Microsoft.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I've only tried Ubuntu.

I liked the multiple desktop/workspace but apart from that it didnt offer me anything else.

The console! seems a step backwards to me.

I've tried all flavours of windows but always go back to XP SP3.
I got quad AMD and 4 gig of ram so its not realy hogging resources. Ram is so cheap these days that I'd rather buy that than a new os.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


Console is not a step backwards at all.

It is a necessary component of any OS.

As an example of how flexible it is:

I take one program "ps" (shows running processes), and combine it with another "grep" (parses).

The command would look like:

$ps | grep fire*

which would search all process for the entire word fire, or perhaps firefox, or firehouse for that matter.

The | (pipe) allows output of one program to be input into another.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing
 


I know a lot of people bash microsoft but I remember the early days when you bought parts for specific box and os and microsofts monopoly realy sorted all that out. Now I can take my soundcard/graphicscard out and stick them into your pc and they'd work. So I actualy believe microsoft made things happen faster than they would have done otherwise.

Remember all those various vhs/betamax/philips etc tapes? what a mess that was. I think pc's would have been like that if it hadnt been for ms.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Yes, I love Linux, or as I've taken to calling it lately GNU/Linux .....



Using XP on my main laptop (need certain programs that don't play nice with WINE), Ubuntu on my kid's "be good" laptop, 7 on my DAW, BT installed on an old Dell Inspiron for networking utilities and python stuff, and an old Debian installation for SAN, SSH and Apache server, and of course a rooted Android device.

Damn, I think I have more computers than I know what to do with!


I have one computer with windows vista & Ubuntu installed side by side.
If I could get Netflix to work on Ubuntu I would let go of vista all together.
What's BT?



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


The | (pipe) allows output of one program to be input into another.


Ouch
I remember doing that with DOS.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Hahaha. That's another reason I keep XP on my main laptop: Silverlight.

BT is Back Track. A distro aimed at network security and pen testing.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
I don't know much about computers but for a long time I have been cogitating over the monopoly Windows and Microsoft has on the computer market. I have long wondered how much farther we could have advanced with operating bysystem competition. Personally, I think Microsoft is holding back faster and more secure operating systems from those independents who can design them. But, like most of the planet, I am stuck with what they "allow" me to have. Or maybe I just don't know about computers and should worship Microsoft.


Well, There are a lot of FREE linux operating systems. Ubuntu is good if you have plenty of resources.
I use SliTaz but it's only because my computer is a dinosaur.
Best part of it all, it's all open source.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


I absolutely agree with you about the earlier years. I had a Radio Shack and the hard drive was a tape recorder. However, we are 50 years beyond that. Microsoft controls and one who controls can also hinder competition.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 


The ability to script with console commands is a huge benefit to me concerning automation of repetitive tasks.

Can't do that with a GUI. Yes there are a few exceptions, but none as clean and reliable as a simple script.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I've only tried Ubuntu.

I liked the multiple desktop/workspace but apart from that it didnt offer me anything else.

The console! seems a step backwards to me.

I've tried all flavours of windows but always go back to XP SP3.
I got quad AMD and 4 gig of ram so its not realy hogging resources. Ram is so cheap these days that I'd rather buy that than a new os.


Ubuntu blows XP out of the water in my opinion.
If you are not well versed with linux the security of the operating system is enough on its own.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing
 


I agree 100%. Was just giving my thoughts on how they did speed up the evolution of the pc. To be honest though, for me, XP SP3 is about all I need from an OS though lack of updates from ms will kill it soon enough.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Hahaha. That's another reason I keep XP on my main laptop: Silverlight.

BT is Back Track. A distro aimed at network security and pen testing.


Interesting, I'll check it out.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon
 


Would you have any suggestions for a firewall setup?
I'm trying to keep my box secure as possible.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have some questions for you


Im an avid gamer do all new 3d games work on Linux?

Can you just install them and go or do you have to do all sorts of complex messing about trying to emulate Windows and Direct X which 90% of games use?

Are there always Linux drivers for all hardware that works with windows?

Does linux come with professional technical support or do you have to be a semi expert and wade through forum posts to find answers?

Can Linux use VPN clients as well as windows? What about remote desktop and remote assistance as these are essential for businesses.

im not 100% again st linux as i have it on an old netbook. Its just in my opinion it doesnt compare to the ease of use of windows 7.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Any GUI front end for IPtables would do it.

You should have IPtables installed - check with $sudo iptables -L .

This will give you the listing of all current firewall rules.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD
 


>Im an avid gamer do all new 3d games work on Linux?

Keep a Windows partition.

>Can you just install them and go or do you have to do all sorts of complex messing about trying to emulate Windows and Direct X which 90% of games use?

Some can be installed very easily with Wine, but that doesn't mean they will work correctly.

>Are there always Linux drivers for all hardware that works with windows?

Not always, but most hardware is supported. Some manufacturers refuse to release source for their drivers.

>Does linux come with professional technical support or do you have to be a semi expert and wade through forum posts to find answers?

There may be enterprise level distributions that do have options for tech support. You mostly will have to learn by trial , error, and rrtfm.

>Can Linux use VPN clients as well as windows? What about remote desktop and remote assistance as these are essential for businesses.

Absolutely. Options for this abound.

>im not 100% again st linux as i have it on an old netbook. Its just in my opinion it doesnt compare to the ease of use of windows 7.

Probably not. Depends upon what you wish to use it for.



posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   


Im an avid gamer do all new 3d games work on Linux?

Can you just install them and go or do you have to do all sorts of complex messing about trying to emulate Windows and Direct X which 90% of games use?


I'm not sure about that, my notebook is too old to do much.




Are there always Linux drivers for all hardware that works with windows?


Most of the time. I've never had any problems. It might not always be plug-n-play though.




Does linux come with professional technical support or do you have to be a semi expert and wade through forum posts to find answers?


I can't speak for other linux distro's but I can speak for the one I use. SliTaz.
The developers run a forum and are very helpful and professional with years of experience.




Can Linux use VPN clients as well as windows? What about remote desktop and remote assistance as these are essential for businesses.


Yes, and Yes.



edit on 11-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)





top topics
 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join