It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted tap (faucet) plumber required?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashdespatch
reply to post by snowspirit

Can you expliain how a tap can turn itself on? and its not just a bit, its not just a drip but about halfway on

Loose Threads in the faucet, and vibrations in your home.....happens,,,

Des

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

I know, it was humour !
I'm in NW UK !

Peace

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm a plumber and a necromancer. U2u me if you need help.
I charge hourly.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
You could have cheap rubber washers.

Or if it happens at night maybe the plumber who installed you faucet goofed up. The hot water sits in the pipe for hours and cools so the pipe goes back and forth between expanding and contraction. Could be why water is leaking out. once it gets a certain amount of critical mass the water might be enough to push a valve that has bad threads or loose threads turning the faucet "on"

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
turn off water at the stop cock or gate valve/s leading to the tap/s.

drain excess water and re-tighten.

remove tap handle/ sometimes under the top cap is a thread slotted or pozi.

unscrew the valve/washer housing and inspect the sealing washer for splits or obstructions.

reseat the valve/washer housing, not too tight!

replace tap top and tighten.

turn on water supply and open the tap. do this a few times and re-tighten.

if the above fails, simply move an ironing board and creased clothes into the vicinity
of the tap in question. go to bed. in the morning, assuming it is an old lady, you're
clothes should be freshly ironed and stacked.

f.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

thought you were on the other side of the pond old chap!

happy days.
f.

btw me nw uk too.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
He's here

Sorted

Peace
edit on 013131p://05America/Chicago11 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The taps are only 4 years old replaced when we had a new bath fitted

The hot taps tend to go bad faster than the cold ones. Four years seems like a likely period of time for one to fail on you. Hot water seems to wear out the valve stems and causes them to fail faster.

You may need to replace the valve stems on the hot side of the faucet. Make sure you know the exact make and model number and ask for help finding the right one when you go to the hardware store. They are fairly easy to replace with common hand tools. The hardest part of any of these jobs is finding the right parts.

The most important thing to remember is to shut off the water at the valve below the sink before you begin any work.

I'm sure you can find instructions on the web or on youtube on how to do it properly.

If that doesn't work, call an exorcist.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hello all this has turned out to be a bit like reading a diy forum! I really apreciate all your hints and tips

the thing is all you pro/am plumbers my boiler is brand new it only heats water when you open the tap so there is no hot water supply constantly pushing against the tap/seal

im still going with the ghost on the stairs!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

there is pressure (approx 1 bar and upwards a little) behind the tap washer. as soon as tap is opened, on demand kicks in and the burners start in the boiler. new boilers also have a pressure relief valve should the bar pressure exceed approx 3 bar. you should have a dial that indicates this as well as a purge pipe when external air pressure and temperature mess with the bar pressure. have a looksie through your owners manual.

regards fakedirt.

i'm going with debris chewing the washer. some swarf in the pipe possibly.
edit on 11-5-2012 by fakedirt because: yo

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

if the washer is leakey surely pressure would be constant hence hot water instantly the hot water takes a few minutes to come through all the time

money still on ghost!!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

if it takes a few minutes for the hot water to flow, then i would say you have a problem. approx 15-25 seconds is about the norm for a not so new system from experience.
i'm not discounting your fluidgeist here, however it seems from what you have presented with regards to the taps and boiler, i am of the opinion your system needs a looking at.

how long since it was fitted?

did the fitters renew the entire system or just the boiler?

how long did they take to fit the boiler?

was your washing ironed and stacked?

f.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

i must vary in heating up time in regards to the distance from boiler to tap?

to answer your questions

2 years

entire system

2 days

no it wasnt!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I wonder why she returned after all those years maybe she didnt aprove of the new bath

That is a possibility; I have had it happen. I live in a house built in 1890 and remodeled an addition to the house that was the original indoor bathroom. Very shortly after the remodel was finished, loud bangs, things falling off shelves and the like started to happen. Lasted about 1-2 weeks. I always figured they were angry because the bathroom was "modern" compared to before.

Also, FWIW ghosts do turn on water. I've seen this at my parents house shortly after my father passed away. Kitchen tap suddenly turned on full strength. It is a single handle type you have to push upwards to turn on. Needless to say, the three of us who witnessed this were quite stunned.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by IceFlower

Sorry to be dumb but what is a FWIW Ghost?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

for what it's worth

top topics

<< 1   >>

join