It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Asking Questions Trollish?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In the political section, when you have people ask questions about a certain political candidate you are automatically labelled a troll, insider, shill or some other derogatory name. I find it hilarious on here that the most suspicious people on the internet will put all their faith and love and support behind one person!

Can anything be done about all the name-calling, especially in politics when someone has a different opinion than the vast majority on ATS? I think the individual star and flag system, is harder, if you post about an unpopular topic, where everybody starts yelling at you! Even though, the questions may be relevant. I have never seen something so crazy in my life, where people yell at you just for asking questions.
edit on 11-5-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

No it's not. It is trollish for those people to start blasting you personally for stating you views on the politics on a political thread though, imho. I haven't experinced such personally and would like to say I hope you don't let those few bad apples spoil what is on norm a very reasonable and intelligent community of posters here on ATS.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

It'd be real nice if people running this place wouldn't Delete my messages for being a "Troll" or "off-topic" or Whatever dredged up cheapo excuse they please to invent to silence me.

Dating back to the 80s I've been active on BBSs trying to intelligently communicate with people. And it's always the same story with the sysops in charge. If they like you, they leave you alone. If they Don't like you, it's Watch Out Time. Bias and Censorship. Eventually I realized I was wasting my time and my life so I left. I just got back to it recently and I see that nothing much has changed. Back on TrekMovie dot com it's simply insane with a low-IQ crowd of ravers kissing the butt of "guest star" pals with money and power. Disagree with Them and you're History. Agree with them and you can stay--even post completely off-topic garbage, so long as you go along with the heroification all's well.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think it all depends on how a question is presented.

I mean if someone asks "Why are you such a jerk?"

I doubt they will get a positive response.

However if they ask "Why do some people act like jerks?"

They might get a better response.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus

In Most of all my posts in the political section, I mention something about Ron Paul, sometimes it's even positive but because of my reputation on there for being an "Anti-Ron Paul supporter" whatever the heck that means, I get lashed at for whatever I post. All the trolls come a knocking.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I have to say, what bothers me even more than the fact that these people throw the labels out there, is the fact that the mods seem unwilling to remove them. I always thought personal attacks were a huge no-no on this site, but it appears that they are not a violation if the person being accused does not support a certain candidate.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

I have to say, what bothers me even more than the fact that these people throw the labels out there, is the fact that the mods seem unwilling to remove them. I always thought personal attacks were a huge no-no on this site, but it appears that they are not a violation if the person being accused does not support a certain candidate.

The Mods are silent at most times, Except at peak hours which is around 6 PM EST to Midnight I suppose. The thing with the alert system is that you yourself or other members have to alert the mods about something. It's really tiresome, to do it all on your own when you are the only person in the thread who doesn't ever insult people like so, unless they absolutely deserved it. And the only person who questions, said candidate! I get labelled as a troll for posting why I am voting for say, Romney instead of the chosen one of ATS. But I hear it was like that when Obama was running. I wonder, if there were as many Paul trolls then.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If you see something that is potentially a personal attack on another member, please do alert us.
Staff cannot possibly see every post.

Then, allow us time to act on your alert. And, please consider that your alert may or may not be an actual attack.....often there is more going on than just the post you alerted.
Also, and most important, do not alert staff and then engage the person doing the attacking.
That is a sure way to either get both or neither post removed....depending on the severity of the remarks.

Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

That trolling rule always applies if you are from Lower Michigan

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If you see something that is potentially a personal attack on another member, please do alert us.
Staff cannot possibly see every post.

Then, allow us time to act on your alert. And, please consider that your alert may or may not be an actual attack.....often there is more going on than just the post you alerted.
Also, and most important, do not alert staff and then engage the person doing the attacking.
That is a sure way to either get both or neither post removed....depending on the severity of the remarks.

Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

I understand that. The unfortunate truth is, though, that I have alerted on many, and they have been left up. I have given up on alerting on them, and rather just sit back and laugh at those with no better argument than to personally attack.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

In Most of all my posts in the political section, I mention something about Ron Paul, sometimes it's even positive but because of my reputation on there for being an "Anti-Ron Paul supporter" whatever the heck that means, I get lashed at for whatever I post. All the trolls come a knocking.

The RP crowd are passionate about defending their candidate that's for sure. To the point of fanaticism.

However, it's an opportunity to be the bigger person and rise above the insults. Communicate your thoughts without falling into the trap. There is no need to respond to the trolls. Support your argument and avoid stooping to their level.

To some people speaking the truth is blaspheme.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The RP crowd are passionate about defending their candidate that's for sure. To the point of fanaticism.

However, it's an opportunity to be the bigger person and rise above the insults. Communicate your thoughts without falling into the trap. There is no need to respond to the trolls. Support your argument and avoid stooping to their level.

To some people speaking the truth is blaspheme.

They dont even want to argue. They just tell me I am wrong, without anything to even debate about. I keep asking these specific questions, and because they cannot answer them, they call me a troll! I guess I am seen as an interrogator because these idiots cannot answer my questions!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

If you talk like that, then you are trolling........

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

If you talk like that, then you are trolling........

Talk like what? Please elaborate. I hate these one line responses...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

First let's define trolling.

I see it as being antagonistic, baiting, insulting words intended to draw out an emotional response.

I can't help but notice your avatar is "trolling". Are you intentionally trying to "annoy liberals"? If so, that is "trolling". I can perceive your avatar as a joke or an insult. I hope you intend it as a joke. But can you see how someone else might be offended by it? Are you implying that liberals don't work hard and are not successful people?

That would be a stereotype. Your experience with a few RP supporters here on ATS does not define the attitude or the intelligence of all RP supporters. Just like you do not want to be labeled a troll and lumped into some group of people with insinuated insults attached. It's not fair to lump all RP supporters in one group.

If you call people idiots because they can't or are unwilling to answer your questions. Then you're probably going to get a negative response in return. Try making statements if your questions are being perceived as baiting people into an argument. If you're asking rhetorical questions with implied answers and veiled insults then, yes. That would be considered "trolling" also.

Just something to think about.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Calling people names. I thought it was obvious.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Why do you ask ?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
never a dumb question
just dumb people....
dont let them get to you
bud

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Not necessarily, but...

signature:

Proud Anti Ron Paul Bot: antipaulbot.blogspot.com... Ron Paul: Republican In Name Only. RINO! "We bash the media for all their fear mongering and lies but if ATS was your only news source you would think the world was coming to an end 3 times a day WW3 is happening tomorrow the big earthquake is starting in 2 minutes dont look out side its flooding aliens are molesting your family and Ron Paul is already in office." Quote credited to Mindcrime30

Posting anti Ron Paul threads all the time, with that as your signature, I can see how you might be construed as someone who doesn't want to start a rational discussion, only provoke and elicit a certain type of response.

Think about it.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Count Chocula

Not necessarily, but...

signature:

Proud Anti Ron Paul Bot: antipaulbot.blogspot.com... Ron Paul: Republican In Name Only. RINO! "We bash the media for all their fear mongering and lies but if ATS was your only news source you would think the world was coming to an end 3 times a day WW3 is happening tomorrow the big earthquake is starting in 2 minutes dont look out side its flooding aliens are molesting your family and Ron Paul is already in office." Quote credited to Mindcrime30

Posting anti Ron Paul threads all the time, with that as your signature, I can see how you might be construed as someone who doesn't want to start a rational discussion, only provoke and elicit a certain type of response.

Think about it.

Saying Proud Anti Ron Paul Bot is a joke, I am making fun of myself! Then, listed a link as to why I hate him as well. Well, Ron Paul people, make threads about him all the time too, there's just a limited number of Obama/Romney fans on here to get pissed off for them doing that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join