It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler Faces Down Russian Riot Police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Brilliant pic, thanks for posting!

I found the original tweet on twitter, incase anyone wants to follow the person that took the pic or retweet it : @ioffeinmoscow
edit on 12-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

I guess there are times even on ATS when there is no need for words in the OP. SnF

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Very powerful image indeed, no words necessary, what is intruiging is finding out what happened next. Hopefully a number of people both sides of the riot reassessing their reasons for being there, hopefully some planting of kinder more thoughtful seeds for the future. Those who's hearts where not softened by that experience are the ones I worry about. How many are so blinded by indoctrination into false values that they fail to see the significance of that child in the midst of chaos. That situation would not exist had people both sides just sat down and refused to carry on with the violence . Then perhaps eventually by just sitting still, another way of resolving the conflict might have materialized.

People both sides of the conflict are humans first and foremost, but sometimes in the line of 'duty' it is forgotten. I hope this child served as a reminder of that.

S&F OP for sharing with us
much love

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
He's merely curious an observing. He is not facing down the Russian Police.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

What looks more appealing to the eye of ATS posters:

Small Child on Bike Observes Police

or

Toddler Faces Down Russian Riot Police

It's all about the wording.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by donlashway

You guys are reading way too much into this.

Originally posted by Domo1
My guess is Mommy spotted opportunity for picture, positioned the kid, snapped photo with kids back to camera to hide that he was crying then ran away.

Wait, who is reading too much into this?

The OP is stating the obvious about the picture, while you're the one speculating ALOT about it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If I had a kid thats the last place I would have him.
Nice picture though

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Wow, powerful. Inspirational even. It's not even so much the event, but this rings as a statement of our era to me. 20 years ago few people would have identified with such a photo, but it seems to be eerily defining of our time. The confrontation of our own innocence and curiosity against a paternalistic and domineering society.
Love it, S+F, and I will likely have this in my stock image folder for years to come

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

i feel like the people screaming about "where's the mother?!" and "take the child away!" must not have kids. based on ONLY what's in the photo, that child is in absolutely no danger. forgive me, but do we even know the context? the police could just as easily be putting on some sort of parade as raiding a neighborhood looking for kids to murder.

while i'm sure the kid doesn't know exactly what he's looking at, I'd imagine a line of strange men in armored costumes would be a little scary to a small child. good for him, he'll grow up with more curiosity than fear. look out! he might actually ENJOY his life and have some FUN before he dies!!

EDIT: after reading the source, it does say "bloody skirmish" between police and protestors. but we still only see the police and the child in the photo. no protest, no riots, no smoke or fire. it's not always possible to predict when a protest is going to get the crack down. it's also not possible to raise a child who will confront and fight their own corrupt government without showing them what's at stake.
edit on 12-5-2012 by RicoMarston because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Originally posted by rtyfx
All hail the delusion of the masses.

Just because it's a kid you assume he's brave.

Pathetic.

The tail wags the dog.

All hail those pesky trolls.
Keep pestering those poster who genuinely admire courage.

Children show courage where most show fear.

Ever see it?
From your response...doubtful.

I wouldn't say it is courage per se. It can only be courage if it has overcome fear. A child's innocents hath no fear. But nonetheless, still a valuable reminder of what lies beneath

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
What great parents,
throw the kid's to the wolves
for a picture they can sell..

edit on 12-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
What great parents,

whoa really? how much money did they make? my three-year-old is quite photogenic, maybe we've found ourselves and alternate source of income!!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

What great parents,

whoa really? how much money did they make? my three-year-old is quite photogenic, maybe we've found ourselves and alternate source of income!!

link   

What great parents,

link   

What great parents,

Oh probably 20-30 grand American maybe more
the more media sources who want to buy it and plaster
it on a magezine..

That picture aint going around for free
bet that bottom dollar =)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
It's a kid on a bike. Is he "facing down" the troops? Doubt it.

Way to read too much into a photo.

I agree with you, It's just a kid on a bike. You people need to come back to reality.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That is pretty intimidating for a kid in front of an army of men and women with sticks and shields.

I bet he's thinking, "Help..."

I wonder what we would think if we were in the kids shoes on that.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

I think that the kid was probably thinking something like " Cool outfits dudes, can I play with your gun, kee pads, midnight blue camo gear? Can I wear your riot helmet mister? Can I, can I, can I?", mixed in with a healthy dose of " Mummy!!!
".

I realise that some of us will naturally wonder where the kids parents are, and I would imagine they are right behind the sprog. However, for those who say that they would rather thier child was not in that position, I say it is the responsibility of every parent to raise thier child according to thier beliefs. Some raise thier child in a religious environment, some raise thier children atheist, and others raise thier children on pop music and fizzy drinks. That the parents of this child would seem to be raising thier offspring to be politically aware, and with an understanding of the way the security forces behave, may seem barbaric to you and me, but may in fact be a very responsible choice on thier part, one which I do not believe we can judge, certainly not unless we have lived thier lives, and known thier hardships.

Here in the west there are certain things that a child has to learn early. They have to learn to ride a bike, draw with crayons, pay attention to thier teachers, and burp outrageously at the merest contact with a carbonated beverage. But in Russia, especially in these dark times of corruption, perhaps it is wise to allow a child to witness at close quaters what it means when the midnight camo comes out, and the riot shields are presented. Perhaps it is a matter of survival, to know the difference between a riot squad and a police beat member on sight.

If I was the kid, and had the chance to grow up aware of the danger, and capable of protecting myself, I would appreciate the learning expirience I think.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hate to be a downer but somehow I'm thinking this is a scripted photo. A NY Times correspondent just happened to be in the right place at the right time to snap this photo? The child just biked through the crowd as well? If I was a protester there I would have stopped the kid from getting closer to the action not encourage it and I'm sure someone else there would have done the same. Then he stopped for a few minutes to just stare at guys doing nothing? I think something else would have caught his attention.

True or not the amazing thing is the way people can interpret an image differently and get different meanings from it.. People jumped from A to Z while ignoring all other possibilities in-between. Like another poster stated maybe it was one of the cops kid and he was just there seeing what daddy was doing all day or it was his mothers way of saying to the father come home and don't do anything stupid. Maybe the kid was bribed. Do this and you get a new bike. If he was used as a pawn by the protesters to make a point that's even worse. Maybe something behind the cops caught his attention. It's fine if you want to see this a poster for standing up to tyranny but to put others down because they don't see it that way is wrong to.. thus the beauty of art. No two people will see it exactly the same way.

edit on 12-5-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

i feel like the people screaming about "where's the mother?!" and "take the child away!" must not have kids. based on ONLY what's in the photo, that child is in absolutely no danger. forgive me, but do we even know the context? the police could just as easily be putting on some sort of parade as raiding a neighborhood looking for kids to murder.

while i'm sure the kid doesn't know exactly what he's looking at, I'd imagine a line of strange men in armored costumes would be a little scary to a small child. good for him, he'll grow up with more curiosity than fear. look out! he might actually ENJOY his life and have some FUN before he dies!!

EDIT: after reading the source, it does say "bloody skirmish" between police and protestors. but we still only see the police and the child in the photo. no protest, no riots, no smoke or fire. it's not always possible to predict when a protest is going to get the crack down. it's also not possible to raise a child who will confront and fight their own corrupt government without showing them what's at stake.
edit on 12-5-2012 by RicoMarston because: (no reason given)
Your telling me theres no danger? If there wasn't any danger the riot police wouldn't have to be there. Lets say some jackass didn't see the kid on the trike and decided to be smart and throw a rock at the riot police but instead if fell short and split the kid right on the head.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join