It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Seize Email server, then return it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Hmmm? In my 'Posts By Member's Section' I clicked on the link to come back to this thread and nothing shows up. I had to do a search to see if this thread was removed by TPTB. Just weird.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It is still in my list of subscribed threads
Maybe the FBI installed some bug and messed with your comp

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this. I have to wonder how many times they have done this and not got caught. Once the police or FBI take anything and then return it you are a fool if you ever use it again. There is no telling what they may have done to it.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Time to reinstall the OS or even get new servers and get bullet resistant steel doors in your server offices. I hope that the company sends out emails to everyone telling of this incident so that the people do not send out emails that would hurt themselves.

Unfortunately you can't do that.
If your server is at a co location site the staff needs access to the servers.
Just in case you need a server reboot or something.

And with a warrant there's nothing they could of done anyways.
At least the FBI had a warrant.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

No one let them in.

Of course someone let them in.
The Datacenter let them in.

Have you ever been to a secure data location facility?
You can't walk in the door without someone seeing you.
At our co location host you have to have a badge to get into the building. And you can't even use the elevator without the badge.
Then another badge to get into the floor that has the server room.
And then you need the code to unlock the rack.

It's not that the FBI just walked in and took servers. They were let in by the hosting company.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If it had been me.
I would have not let them install it.
they dont have that right!

get it examind by experts.
and let us All know what they did.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This piss me off real bad... That cannot be legal... People start attaching a string in the back of the rack mount attached to a sawed off shotgun at knee height how bout this for a firewall you corrupted bastards...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hopefully, considering the business this company does, they reconfigured their network topology BEFORE the suits returned the server.

If nothing was set to talk with that server anymore, then their network and their other machines should be ok. But yes, that machine is useless. Forever. I wouldn't trust it even after a format.

They easily could have swapped the motherboard with one hard coded for letting them secretly access it's data.

I highly doubt the SysAdmins built that server from the ground up themselves, likely they got one from a manufacture, so they wouldn't really know 100% if it was the same hardware inside it. The fact they only ever used it remotely means they would only recognize the OS and software, but who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Also possible the FBI just copied everything off it in hopes of cracking the encryption for future use of for reading all the emails.

Eitherway, the whole thing sucks.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

So what if they had a warrant; they still have to break down the steel doors to get to the servers. Your warrant wont make it any easier to get that information. Also a self destruct button would be useful which would thermite the servers in case they were about to be seized.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This is the price we pay for being in a "Digital Social Media Innovation", great having your iPad plugged into every orifice of the web however it comes at a cost, your liberties.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join