It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVD and Blue-Ray Disc piracy warnings you can't ignore .... for us non-pirates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The industry must adapt or fail.

Adapt how precisely? Should the "industry" adapt in the same way "consumers" have adapted? Should the vicious cycle of out ethics just continue on and on and on and on?

You can complain, if you think this helps, of purchasing DVD's that compel you to watch a propaganda piece before you are allowed to watch the product you purchased, but no one is truly compelling you to watch anything you don't want to watch. You can, if you chose, boycott the "industries" engaging in this practice too, if you want.

You can complain that government is wasting "public resources" if you think that will help, but let's be clear on what this "public resource" is. Without the willing and voluntary payment of "income" taxation there is much the federal government just couldn't afford to do. What do you want to bet that the federal government just loves the idea that, in the end, you place the onerous mostly on the "industry", only really paying lip service to the "drain on public resources", while chances are you will continue to file a valid tax return.

Your title to this thread is near histrionic in that these warnings can be ignored and given the continued piracy, quite clearly are ignored by pirates, and plenty of non-pirates too. I don't watch television to catch up on the commercials I can't ignore and generally do ignore most commercials when I do watch television, and when placing a DVD into a machine, just like when a commercial runs on broadcast or cable television, I run to the bathroom or refrigerator and don't sweat the little things.

"Income" taxation has become a facilitator of plunder, just the same as any pirate, and this problem of plunder goes way deeper than DVD's and piracy warnings you think you cannot ignore.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The American consumer has no problem with these screens of messages.

If they did then no one would buy for a few months or a year. That would likely get the industry altering the practice. Of course, 99% of people won't be able to go with a movie purchase that long.

Corporations know people won't do anything.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Adapt how precisely? Should the "industry" adapt in the same way "consumers" have adapted? Should the vicious cycle of out ethics just continue on and on and on and on?

It seems a bit off kilter to expect a consumer to tell the industry how to adapt. This paradigm of perpetual "content rental" is their baby. The reaction it has engendered is of their own making. In fact, I might be so bold as to say they are guilty of not compensating artists by the same measure and manner they demand to be compensated. Of course that is a result of a contractual agreement, again, not the purview of consumers.

You can complain, if you think this helps, of purchasing DVD's that compel you to watch a propaganda piece before you are allowed to watch the product you purchased, but no one is truly compelling you to watch anything you don't want to watch.

While I respect your intellect and person, I feel this is rather disingenuous. I am compelled on my own to want to purchase the license to watch a movie... the obligation to to watch the propaganda is forced upon me and is unavoidable by design; should I wish to enjoy the privilege of my transaction, I am quite literally forced to endure the former.

You can, if you chose, boycott the "industries" engaging in this practice too, if you want.

But I cannot boycott the propaganda can I?

You can complain that government is wasting "public resources" if you think that will help, but let's be clear on what this "public resource" is. Without the willing and voluntary payment of "income" taxation there is much the federal government just couldn't afford to do.

I am not discussing what the government cannot afford to do, I am discussing what they apparently "can" afford to do, which is engage in a futile gesture of control over a relationship between the "consumer" and the overly-well-connected media companies who have the unmitigated gall to proclaim the American economy is subject to their prosperity.

What do you want to bet that the federal government just loves the idea that, in the end, you place the onerous mostly on the "industry", only really paying lip service to the "drain on public resources", while chances are you will continue to file a valid tax return.

There's no chance about it, fail to do so and face the legal force of the establishment. I doubt 'enjoyment' is the appropriate emotion associated with the condition. All of this is about not pretending that what ICE has done has anything to do with effective measures against piracy... it is the very 'lip service' you describe.

The facts seem to indicate that the technology has outpaced the ability of the industry to strangle distribution of content. And that is my problem how? This is how: Lobbying to procure government expenditures to protect their obsolete model... and forcing the consumer to pay both for their losses from the inability to control a product which does not lend itself to sequestration, as well as pay the government to help them whine about it (while forcing us to listen.)

Your title to this thread is near histrionic in that these warnings can be ignored and given the continued piracy, quite clearly are ignored by pirates, and plenty of non-pirates too. I don't watch television to catch up on the commercials I can't ignore and generally do ignore most commercials when I do watch television, and when placing a DVD into a machine, just like when a commercial runs on broadcast or cable television, I run to the bathroom or refrigerator and don't sweat the little things.

"Income" taxation has become a facilitator of plunder, just the same as any pirate, and this problem of plunder goes way deeper than DVD's and piracy warnings you think you cannot ignore.

It's not a matter of being "able" to ignore this, it's a matter of having to in the first place. There is no valid rationale that can defend the expense, effort, and effect of forcing consumers who legally undertook the transaction, forking over money to watch a movie and then be subject to watching this message for someone else.

I understand that all of this is centered around commerce and mercantilism and the notion that "good business" is about maximum profit and minimum expense,. but this particular 20 seconds of time-wasting propaganda should be paid for, as well as produced and owned by the people whom it serves. Not paid for by the citizen, produced by the government the citizen funds, to protect those who simply can no longer expect to retain control of a form of communication that can't be bottled and metered.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Kinda showing my age here, but I remember MTV's first day on the air. If I'm not mistaken the first video they played was 'Video Killed the Radio Star', (you had to contact your local cable company and pay extra if you wanted it in stereo lol). I'm guessing radio had their first real panic attack as the technology caught up with them, and surpassed them. All this middleman distributor crap will suffer the same fate eventually, the technology has simply surpassed the need for their services, the only real problem is that it's a multi-billion dollar giant that is dying and it's going to stink for a long time.
I'm not supporting 'piracy', I've been on the recieving end of that as well and it wasn't nice to see movies I had been in selling for pennies on the dollar from average joes that were able to burn dvd copies and sell them, but we were working with a distributor, who ended up getting most of the money, hell they even billed their duplication from the net profit. I actually ended up buying my own film from a guy on ebay who was selling them cheaper. How's that for screwed up? lol Distributors are going extinct, if you've ever had the displeasure of working with one, then you will understand why this is ultimately going to be for the better.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My dear friend, while I respect your intellect and person as well, it is not I who is being disingenuous here. I have purchased many DVD's and am quite familiar with all this propaganda, but as I have stated, I am in now way compelled to watch it. It is no different than suffering through a moment of static before getting the product I want. I do not watch the horrible frenetic propaganda put out that comes off as some bad Tony Scott short film, and while the driving metal drone is certainly annoying, not so annoying in the kitchen grabbing a beer while it drones on.

Indeed, I respect your person and intellect so much so I just find it next to impossible to believe that you cannot avert your eyes from these propaganda ads. Further, if you boycott the product that keeps putting this propaganda on their product, then you are necessarily boycotting the propaganda too. If you take it a step further and write Sony, WB, MGM, Disney, Pixar and others and inform them that you will not purchase their DVD's as long as they insist on polluting their product with this pointless propaganda, and others do the same, there is a good chance this will work much better than this thread will accomplish anything.

I am not suggesting you waste your valuable time doing this, and frankly I would prefer you put that time here in this site doing what you do best, I am just saying, it is not I who is being disingenuous here. This disingenuousness extends as far as to what you are not discussing. If you do not want to discuss the option of starving the beast, it is certainly disingenuous to complain about the overbearing size of that beast.

You can fall back on the fear of standing tall against that beast and excuse your contribution to the gluttony of that beast if you want, but make no mistakes about it, it is just an excuse you are making for feeding a beast you now want to complain about for being too fat. I agree that beast is too fat, I just wish you and everyone else would stop feeding it.

Yet another frustration I am having with this thread is that I intimated that independent artists are suffering from this piracy as well. There is nothing at all stopping you and others from supporting independent artists, and for all I know you do. I don't know because this is ignored in this thread and the focus is placed on corporate beasts, government and business. The free and open market can only be as free and open as the buyers allow it to be, not the sellers.

I honestly believe that if and when buyers put more effort in supporting the free and open market, and in terms of music and the internet this market is wide open right now, that this will compel the "industry" to finally start looking at new models of selling. Bandcamp is just one example of a new model, and I assure you the moment just a handful of "unknown" artist go platinum through this model you will see a plethora of known artists embracing the model leaving the "industry" wondering what the hell happened.

In terms of ignoring and being forced to ignore, this site consistently asks its members to ignore trolls as a way of dealing with them, and as I stated - and while I am willing to own up to any failures of communication on my part regarding my initial post - that post was lamenting the struggle independent artists must endure over this piracy problem. That post was seemingly ignored, and I would hate to think I forced you to ignore it.

We do not have to agree, and whether we do or not, I speak to you with love and admiration.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

More of an interesting side-note than on topic but there are 9 rays on the Homeland Security Investigations badge and 11 stars directly underneath. Paying tribute to the event that made Homeland Security "relevant" or are there other occult reasons?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by Maxmars

My dear friend, while I respect your intellect and person as well, it is not I who is being disingenuous here. I have purchased many DVD's and am quite familiar with all this propaganda, but as I have stated, I am in now way compelled to watch it.....

Indeed, I respect your person and intellect so much so I just find it next to impossible to believe that you cannot avert your eyes from these propaganda ads. Further, if you boycott the product that keeps putting this propaganda on their product, then you are necessarily boycotting the propaganda too. If you take it a step further and write Sony, WB, MGM, Disney, Pixar and others and inform them that you will not purchase their DVD's as long as they insist on polluting their product with this pointless propaganda, and others do the same, there is a good chance this will work much better than this thread will accomplish anything.

Pardon me quoting you, but I need to insert a thought herein that bears a heavy relevance to me. If I ever engage in activism, it will be more overtly than this thread. And it will not be here on ATS.

I sincerely do not start threads to be a cheerleader for any particular agenda, and I will defend myself when it is claimed otherwise.

I am by no means saying you have done so either, but merely stating that I have no illusions about accomplishing anything specifically with this kind of dialog.

I suspect you know that, but it bears mentioning in this context: I will not sully even the 'potential' objectivity of our combined efforts to navigate the modern era, where it has come from, and where it seems to be going. It is an ideal I exercise here.

I believe there is a logic which could be applied in a metaphorical parallel to make my objection about these ICE marketing ploys plainer; but I think you do understand it and that would add an unnecessary artifact in this discussion. I cannot object to your perspective because it is - in and of itself - soundly based on reason. I do reserve the idea that I suspect a sliding, a form of decadence, which this tiny inconvenience may very well exemplify. Our government increasingly protects commerce and mercantilism as if that were it's purpose. Do we really need a government "Public Service Announcement" already acknowledged as being an exercise in futility; and furthermore grant the public's money to them as if they were "needy?"

....If you do not want to discuss the option of starving the beast, it is certainly disingenuous to complain about the overbearing size of that beast.

This is what got me... I think you are obviously seeing the truth clearly; yet I cannot discuss such a thing because I might appear to be 'representing.' What I am doing is pointing out this instance as noteworthy, I do suspect you would not begrudge me that stipulation.

Yet another frustration I am having with this thread is that I intimated that independent artists are suffering from this piracy as well. There is nothing at all stopping you and others from supporting independent artists, and for all I know you do. I don't know because this is ignored in this thread and the focus is placed on corporate beasts, government and business. The free and open market can only be as free and open as the buyers allow it to be, not the sellers.

Yet that would be another form of activist thrust for me, the thread creator; while you can freely express such a thing, I would be violating my own ideals as not to 'force' a direction in the thread that is not for me, but for us. I understand you feel that is a worthy on-topic segue..., I agree. I can only apologize for not following your lead in going there; and can only beg your indulgence with dignity.

I absolutely enjoy exchanges with you - consistently; they are much appreciated and furthermore, something of a treat for me. Many seem to associate my being a Moderator with some ego-status baggage that I simply lack. So often I can't get any answers without some form of rebuke as a representative of an 'establishment.' Never in my wildest dreams would I ignore an opportunity to engage with you who have never descended into theatrical rhetoric, or sophism with me.

We do not have to agree, and whether we do or not, I speak to you with love and admiration.

Right back at you!

Now.. it appears I've run out of room... but I have to run anyway - but I will be back!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
reply to post by Maxmars

More of an interesting side-note than on topic but there are 9 rays on the Homeland Security Investigations badge and 11 stars directly underneath. Paying tribute to the event that made Homeland Security "relevant" or are there other occult reasons?

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who notices, and wonders, about such things.

I think the appearance of such a pattern deserve an explanation... but we will likely have to trust our own analysis over that which will be provided (if at all) by the agency in question.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join