It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned? Can we get a why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Mods, not sure where to put this so if you need to move it, do your thang.

Greetings, ATS!

I recently returned from a two year hiatus (I had to take a break after the Swine Flu/ Vaccine Depopulation mess to regain my sanity). Anyway, I was surprised to notice my friends list was greatly depleted. After a quick check, I realized it was because quite a few had been banned.

I can't help but wonder....why? What did they do?

I don't think ATS has anything that explains why a member was banned. Is this something that might be added in the future? I don't mean detailed information, but maybe a simple statement like the following:

This member was banned due to frequent T&C violations: manners and decorum. (or off-topic posts, or what have you).

Just a thought. .

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hmmm, sounds like you hung out with a bad crowd.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Maybe they were banned coz they said they didn't like KFC!!!

I know I'd ban people from my personal life if they didn't like KFC

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Sshhhh!
We're not allowed to talk about banned member, we aren't allowed to ask why people get banned...actually, we aren't allowed to talk about members or what the censor-happy powers that be from ATS do.

Which also means that this thread will be closed from one of the supervisors, stating that we don't have the right to discuss banned members

(which i think is stupid and a shame, but i can understand it, the censorhappy powers don't want to get pushed in a bad light
)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Maybe they tried to deny ignorance?

You can't do that around these parts.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
Hmmm, sounds like you hung out with a bad crowd.

Apparently!

link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

We're not allowed to talk about banned member, we aren't allowed to ask why people get banned...actually, we aren't allowed to talk about members or what the censor-happy powers that be from ATS do.

The rules are pretty clear. You have two options, follow them, or leave....

As for banned members, well, isn't it self explanatory that if they are banned, they violated the T&C in some way?

I had an account banned/removed because of an apparently issue with one of the words in my username. So there's a potential explanation.

edit on 11-5-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
Sshhhh!

Which also means that this thread will be closed from one of the supervisors, stating that we don't have the right to discuss banned members

(which i think is stupid and a shame, but i can understand it, the censorhappy powers don't want to get pushed in a bad light
)

We aren't supposed to talk about banned members? Oh, crap.....

Well, if I get banned, you'll all know why.....

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I feel you here. I logged in this morning and a person I interact with pretty frequently was banned sometime today. I noticed an "Extreme T&C Violation" as his last post, but it appears he was being baited. I guess it's his fault, but damn. He had been a member for a couple years too.

If I could only see how bad his reply was!?!

edit on 5/11/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Maybe they tried to deny ignorance?

Ha!

"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength."
"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."
"Big Brother is Watching You."

Are you saying the ATS slogan is doublespeak?

edit on 11-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Actually, lol, I just scanned the T&C... The only hit for banned:

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.

the only hit for ban, excluding the above hit:

23) Violation: Violation of any aspect of these Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership are subject to our Actions for general abuse and violations, or in extreme cases, immediate banning of your username/IP from the domains and/or the removal of your email/password from the database. You agree that, all disputes, of any type, regarding any transgression or disagreement with the policies of TAN, or the decisions of one of TAN or administrative staff are final.

Yet I'm positive that it is site policy to not discuss banned users, and not to (in threads) discuss specific mods or specific moderated actions, that's what U2U and the complaint / alert feature is for.

I highly doubt you will get banned for this, but yeah, this thread is probably already closed

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just the other day a Mod explained why a new posters thread was deleted and the poster banned when asked WHY
I think the problem is that when Mods discuss with each other and then ban a member it is not up for debate by non Mods for obvious reasons - There would never be a conclusive opinion.
Sure some banned threads and members are funny - Yet the thread I speak of and member was a multiple banned member with an agenda to provoke by overriding new member rules.
Lol some people have a problem with what they see as authority
But if any come to my home and start dictating how it should or should not be then they are shown the door

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Yet, despite the fact that ATS is a cia disinfo run psyop that prides itself on banning and deleting all content they are told to by their handlers...

You are here, using the site...

Facinating

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

hya
i was post banned not long ago because
i was baited
no excuse though
i apologised to a few mods
and they were really nice and reviewed the thread in hand
the mod that post banned me took it of
honestly if you msg the mod/s they will help
it may take a few days but they are lenient
cheers mods
(im not brown nosing)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Why so cereal?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I feel you here. I logged in this morning and a person I interact with pretty frequently was banned sometime today. I noticed an "Extreme T&C Violation" as his last post, but it appears he was being baited. I guess it's his fault, but damn. He had been a member for a couple years too.

Some bannings, to my knowledge, are not permanent. Like a time out in the corner, to think about what you did wrong.

Your friend may be back, a kinder gentler member....one who activates brain before mouth.

Des

edit on 11-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I don't mean to imply anything about the moderators. I've been slapped on the wrist a few times, but its been deservered. I guess if I get it for this thread, its deserved, ignorance of the T&C is no excuse.

I'm not questioning whether or not the member should have been banned. I think sometimes the really horrific posts get deleted (or you can read some of the posts and have a pretty good idea why that person got the boot). I was just thinking in general terms.

Mods....have mercy!!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

LOL yeah that sounded kinda harsh, probably because I literally was just in a thread complaining about censorship and blah blah blah.

I just think people tend to forget this is a privately run site:

Your use of the message board(s) (and inclusive forums and video services) and any other public medium hosted on the AboveTopSecret.com, ATSnews.com, media.AboveTopSecret.com, BelowTopSecret.com, AbovePolitics.com, and TheAboveNetwork.com, and any other website(s) owned and operated by The Above Network, LLC and any related organization(s) (collectively referred to as the "Websites") indicates your acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions of Use.

But yeah, I am surprised that the issue of not talking about banned users isn't specifically mentioned in the T&C. We might have just forced an update to the T&C.

Here's the thing. The user who gets banned, gets a reason. It's up to them if they want to, some how, contact you and explain why. It shouldn't be up for discussion as it creates problems for the mods and makes it harder to do, an already tough job.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Mods....have mercy!!!

I think you had a valid question, though I think it was addressed somewhere, maybe in a mod posted sticky?

When my account was closed, I at least had some warning and was able to contact the few friends I had on here letting them know I might not bother coming back, but if I did, they'd recognize me. I'm not sure if all banned users are given the same liberty, and depending on the reason for the ban, maybe for good reason.. spamming u2u and such knowing they are already banned etc..

So you do bring up a good point, while apparent site policy is not to discuss it, maybe some means of allowing the users friends list to be contacted.

edit on 11-5-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I just wanted to
get in before the
thread closes ....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join