It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan calendar gives us another 5,000 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Archaeologists digging in Xultún, an ancient complex in Guatamala, have discovered the remains of a scribe's house, dating from 813 AD. On one wall, calculations were found predicting cycles 7,000 years into the future:

Four long numbers on the wall representing one-third of a million to 2.5 million days likely bring together all of the astronomical cycles -- such as those of Mars, Venus and the lunar eclipses -- the Maya thought important, dates that stretch some 7,000 years into the future. This is the first place Maya archaeologists have found that seems to tabulate all of these cycles in this way. Another number scratched into the plaster surface likely records the date -- 813 A.D., a time when the Maya world had begun to collapse....

The scientists say the symbols reflect a certain world view. "The ancient Maya predicted the world would continue, that 7,000 years from now, things would be exactly like this," Saturno said. "We keep looking for endings. The Maya were looking for a guarantee that nothing would change. It's an entirely different mindset."

Full article here.

Has the end of the world been postponed? Or have certain people been misrepresenting what the Mayans actually believed?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
apparently they also thought the world would look the same 7,000 years into the future. Seems accurate

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

2012 was never said to be the end of the world, just the end of an era, and the beginning of a new.

Only crazy people said the world would end.
edit on 11/27/10 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
reply to post by DJW001

2012 was never said to be the end of the world, just the end of an era, and the beginning of a new.

cannot star enough

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

True,true..but look at the times we live in..welcome to the end of days. We all noticed it

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
7012 oktanks

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you the same question that I asked the person who posted this↓ yesterday.
World to not end in 2012, according to the Mayans

Is that really necessary?

Seriously, do you actually need a Mayan to tell you that the World is not going end in a few months?

Originally posted by Anunaki2012

True,true..but look at the times we live in..welcome to the end of days. We all noticed it

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I have a calender, which I made by my self and my calender says Earth will be here forever, Earth it self will never be destroyed, but humanity will, if we dont get our acts straighten up.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Seriously, do you actually need a Mayan to tell you that the World is not going end in a few months?

Seriously, do you not understand irony when you see it?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anunaki2012
reply to post by SpearMint

I bet humans thought that during the last ice age, but look where we are now.

Regardless of the end of the world, it's an interesting post. Thanks OP.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Seriously, do you not understand irony when you see it?
I don't see any irony.
I see idiocy. (and lots of it)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I don't see any irony.
I see idiocy. (and lots of it)

If you bothered to read the post, you would see that the title is sarcastic. Your asking me if I need the Mayans to tell me the world isn't ending is ironic. I leave it to you to conclude what that makes your last post.

PS: Gary Numan is cool.

edit on 11-5-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Stop it with the end of the world already! We will probably end as a species before our climate goes to trash..

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
reply to post by DJW001

Can you remind me in 2013 in what era will we enter?

and reminder of my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-5-2012 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2012 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
False Flag!

They just happened to discover this new calendar months before the world ends?

TPTB are just trying to calm the masses. Keep them from rioting and freaking out as the end time draws near.

(That was fun)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This won't change anybody's minds. We've known of Long Counts at Palenque for a while now that go into piktuns but they just get ignored by the 2012 crowd.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

It was more of a generalization towards anybody who actually does believe that crap. (sadly, there are many)

It's not worth the time it takes to differentiate between those who are joking, and those who truly believe.

P.S. Each of those↓ 8 lil things on the bottom, is a link to a different version of that song. Might be some you may like, but may not have heard. My personal favorite is this one→ [color=FFF382](♫)

edit on 5/11/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Please use the existing thread to continue the discussion:

Newly discovered mayan calendars go beyond 2012

Thread Closed

top topics

join