It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it correct and legal to kill an injured animal? SA man charged for killing a suffering cat.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Terrible when that happens.

I think however it's better to leave something if you're going to be half-hearted, and it's just not in everybody.

The incident I saw was back in college, and we heard the cat and everyone ran to the window, and this really macho guy took it upon himself to kill it, with some general consensus.
So he went outside, and the cat was still putting on quite a vicious display, and he just managed to stomp on it, and then he couldn't go back and finish it.
That is far worse than just leaving it, or making another plan.
If you're going to kill something you better know you can make it quick, decisive and painless.

edit on 11-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

With all the things wrong with the world, these idiot SPCA and police in South Africa want to concentrate on a cat being humanely put down.

No, don't talk about the 70,000 murders a year or the 500,000 rapes, the failing infrastructure or the total corruption in the ANC government, no, the cats more important damn it.

I think Einstein said that "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Yeah, I agree.
Especially considering some of the farm murders or gruesome mob justice in the Cape; human viciousness one couldn't even post within the T&C on ATS.
That's all so banal and everyday news in SA that it hardly raises an eyebrow.
Or some of the legal animal sacrifices, like the Zulu first fruit festival, where a bull is mangled to death by the bare hands of the warriors.
Even from Australia I've seen photos where turtles are dragged out of the sea with cars, under the heading of something like "indigenous hunting".
And then the complete tragedy of our dwindling rhinos for Chinese and Vietnamese medicine.
I'll never forget the one photo of a savagely de-horned rhino that was actually crying.

On the other hand, as the last poster on p.1 pointed out, if it was my cat, I might think very differently on the matter, because I love our kitty dearly.

Clearly the celebrity status of Mark Sampson has something to do with it, and in our bizarre racial context there's a vested interest to somehow equalize cruelty in the press, by highlighting specifically white crimes.
That's quite speculative, but I'm sure I'm not the only person in SA that has a slight thought in that direction.
However it's not directly relevant to the facts of the case, but perhaps a wider media context that's impossible to explain here.
It's really something that could happen anywhere, and it's a very problematic scenario.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Latest news on the case.

This sounds horrible.

The NSPCA says that Sampson made his intent to behead the cat clear to the NSPCA during his call, and they begged him not to do so, saying they would send out a vehicle.

He had buried the cat, and the neighbor claims she put up signs for a week looking for her kitty, until a neighbor pointed her to Sampson, who didn't know it was her cat.

za.omg.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have kitties and I would not hesitate to put them down if they were suffering like that and
could not be saved. I could never chop off their heads though. I had to put a cat down
once but had the ASPCA do it while I stayed in the room with him. He went quickly
thank goodness, but it was still traumatic.

I've often wondered why we are willing to do this for animals but not for human beings.
I've always thought that was pretty ridiculous. If I'm ever in that position I hope I can
find a Dr. Kevorkian to do it for me. Those are hard to come by though.
Jack Kevorkian was some kind of saint (if there is such a thing).

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Good points, but I'm thinking that if we had legalized and widespread euthanasia for humans wouldn't that bring humans to the level of animals?

Would it bring us to a point where somebody is hurt in an accident and we decide to end their suffering by chopping off their heads with a spade too?

Eugenics and Nazism came very close to that.

Or is that alarmist, and a choice will be made by an "expert"?

Well in a sense we already have the medical concept of triage, where limited treatment resources mean that treatment is given to those most likely to survive, and the rest are left to die.
In SA that's most striking with kidney dialysis, and globally it's known with organ transplants and so forth.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Of course it is morally and ethically wrong!what looks to be a fatally injured animal to you may be capable of being saved by a veterenarian,put it this way,if you happened upon a child who looked to be damaged beyond all hope,would you euthenise them out of "kindness"?
The idiot who cut off the cat's head to supposedly end it's suffering deserves the same fate in my opinion.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Reply to halfoldman:

Good points, but I'm thinking that if we had legalized and widespread euthanasia for humans wouldn't that bring humans to the level of animals?

I don't know about that. Animals usually don't partake in mercy killings, at least
I've never heard of such a thing. And I don't support beheading of any kind. Yikes!
But your right in that things like this can sometimes turn into something not originally
intended i.e. a so-called expert deciding who is worth saving. I would say that
it should be decided with great care by the person dying (if they are capable) their
physician as well as their loved ones.

Well in a sense we already have the medical concept of triage, where limited
treatment resources mean that treatment is given to those most likely to survive,
and the rest are left to die.

I hear what you are saying, but that's not quite the same thing. I will say that
statement struck a nerve though. My own brother was in a motorcycle accident
with his girlfriend on the back. The accident occurred in front of the home of a
couple of paramedics who immediately came to help.They had to choose who to work
on before the ambulance got there. They were both in pretty bad shape. His neck
was broken and they chose her to save. I miss him like crazy and wish he was still
here but I do understand the choice they had to make.

edit on 11-5-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Actually, I have. More than once. I had to watch my female pit pass almost a year ago so nice try. That was the hardest thing to watch so please dont tell someone you dont know what theyve never seen. Even rescued multiple animals suffering and nursed the ones I could back to health, and lost the ones I couldn't but point is I still tried. I am in the animal rescuing business and respect everyones opinion, that is just mine. I was born this way, feeling a need to help animals. Who watches a cat die for 4.5 hours without even considering sedation to help her go easier? That's just cruel and does not prove killing an animal is okay, just shows you did not take iniative for alternative routes. In times like that I believe sedation would have been better than nothing. I know what you mean by saying you could see your cat wanting help, I feel that with animals too, I just feel their asking 'I hurt please help me feel better', not, 'I hurt please kill me'. But that is just me, I am different. I respect your opinion and am sad for your loss of your cat. But next time please think before you speak when you tell a women who literally is in the business of rescuing and rehoming animals what she has never seen. I came into this business to help animals who were being put down have another chance, so I will always firmly stick to that. Period.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

My cat died recently of renal failure due to what appeared to be a large tumor. He started going off on the Thursday morning, got a bit better and by Friday night he couldn't walk. Saturday morning he was alive at 8am and dead by 10am. If I had of known he was going to die on Saturday, on the Thursday night I would have put him down myself. Only because I really like that cat and I am not a cat person, but better I do it than someone he didn't know, of course he saved me that awful decision.

If I were operational in the field again and was fatally injured and knew I was going to die but would have to live in a "pain amplifier" for 2 or more hours, I would rather be shot by one of my associates and not slow them down than wait it out. Compassion comes in many forms.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<< 1   >>

join