It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't we start a thread in the HOAX bin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yes that is my question...I wanted to post a thread in the HOAX bin, but I wasn't allowed to...Why is that?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Couple of reasons, first and foremost in the terms of service when signing up for an account on ATS, if one reads and doesn't just click through. It specifically states members are not supposed to knowingly post false or hoax info.

Second, that forum is a destination for doomed threads, not a starting point.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

But what if someone wanted to be a smart ###, and post something of significance in which EVERYONE on ATS knows as the HOAX bin? I was just trying to test the wits, to see if people would even bother checking it out even if it was a new thread that was purposely posted there...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Can this thread be moved to the hoax bin?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by ADVISOR

But what if someone wanted to be a smart ###, and post something of significance in which EVERYONE on ATS knows as the HOAX bin? I was just trying to test the wits, to see if people would even bother checking it out even if it was a new thread that was purposely posted there...

Well if it's just for giggles, why not post in the Jokes, Pranks and Puns forum?

or whatever it's called.. That's where I'd suppose it'd be ok?

as long as it's obviously intended that way, but then if you're wanting to post in the HOAX bin I guess it'd be already obvious?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Can this thread be moved to the hoax bin?

Sorry,Konquest...................

Amongus makes a great argument............

I kid...........

If a thread IS a HOAX,it will go there regardless if its on purpose or not,Id say.............

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Truth Or Consequences

To expand on what ADVISOR said, but with a lot more words, here's my two cents.

From the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use:

15). Posting: You will not Post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. You will not solicit personal information from any member. You will not use information gathered from this website to harass, abuse or harm other people.

If there's conclusive evidence a member has posted false information in a deliberate attempt to deceive others, the account is usually terminated and, depending on the circumstances, false posts related to the deception are removed, identified with staff notations or, in the case of threads, may be moved to the [Hoax!] forum.

The Internet being what it is, there are often cases where a member will unknowingly post false information from an unreliable source. When that happens, and where there is any doubt regarding intent, the benefit of that doubt goes to the member. We try very hard not to punish anyone for differences of opinion or honest mistakes. Threads based on such information may also, at the discretion of the staff, be moved to the [Hoax!] forum.

I think it's important to emphasize that it's not the role of the staff to act as a "Ministry of Truth" and decide what members should believe. That's up to each of us as members to decide for ourselves. We take action only when there's clear evidence of intent to deceive, not just because there's debate over the credibility of statements or claims.

The common qualification for a move to the [Hoax!] forum is that false information is presented as factual, and the [Hoax!] forum is used to ensure such information is not misrepresented on ATS.

Note that moving a thread to the [Hoax!] forum does NOT in itself constitute an official statement or claim that a source outside ATS has deliberately intended to deceive anyone, only that the staff (or, in some cases, a significant majority of the membership) has determined there is sufficient evidence to place it in the [Hoax!] forum.

Meanwhile, if any member wants to discuss a hoax as such, it's fine to do so in any forum. The validity and factuality of many of the subjects discussed on ATS are subject to debate, and it's up to members to decide for themselves what to believe. As long as there is no evidence of deliberate intent to deceive, it's fair game.

Also, as mainidh pointed out, if a member wishes to post a "hoax" as an obvious gag, Jokes, Puns & Pranks is the right place for that.

And so, to get back to the topic question, and to reiterate what ADVISOR said, the [Hoax!] forum isn't a place where threads are started, but rather a place where some can end up, depending on the circumstances.

Here's celebrating the fact that it's not our most popular forum.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Try this forum---->ATS Skunk Works

This forum is dedicated to the all-important highly speculative topics that may not be substantiated by many, if any facts and span the spectrum of topics discussed on ATS. Readers and users should be aware that extreme theories without corroboration are embraced in this forum. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Good idea then this guy cudda posted this straight here !

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

new topics

top topics

join