It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many people hate Australia?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by feelingconnected

If I lived there I would definitely use a kangaroo for transport! I bet those things get awesome gas mileage.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Hating Australia isnt a thing man. Us New Zealanders are allowed to lol but thats more of a two way sporting rivalry. Don't think ive forgotten that underarm bowl!!!!!! hehehe

America and Israel get hated on on teh forums a lot but not Australia

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

no aussie haters here.. it not like your JEWISH or anything...
edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: because i am.. but the ANTI jew crap,,, just isn't worth MY time to POINT OUT

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz

Hating Australia isnt a thing man. Us New Zealanders are allowed to lol but thats more of a two way sporting rivalry. Don't think ive forgotten that underarm bowl!!!!!! hehehe

America and Israel get hated on on teh forums a lot but not Australia

Lmao at the underarm bowl, that is just friendly rivalry, if we guys invaded you than you would have a legitimate reason to hate us.
I can understand the flak that Israel cops, but I think America gets too much hate than it really should.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
People think we're all convicts that talk like crocodile dundee and use kangaroos for transport.

Heh, that's funny... In Canada we are asked how we summerize the igloo homestead, and how do dog sleds work in the summer.

It makes for a couple rough months, but we trudge on like champs.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

no aussie haters here.. it not like your JEWISH or anything...
edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: because i am.. but the ANTI jew crap,,, just isn't worth MY time to POINT OUT

Uhhhh.......

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

everybody loves Koala bears..

your ok in my book

Don't do that, they carry Chlamidia!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Invade NZ, like that would ever happen
. Dont think we could get off our lazy bums to even do it. Just as it was really the British that killed so many native Australians. Not auzzies . If we are hated its probably more of a envy type hatred of our CBF lifestyle. Gees it was even an effort to write this reply

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

your ok in my book

yes i know the're not BEARS..

and they have HUGE claws!!

edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: i heard they taste like chicken.!!?!??!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Well, (cough) there was the "black war" against the aboriginals.
Maybe if Australia had started more (like the US), instead of just being a side-show in other wars then people would stop focusing on that one?

That's a joke, but it has some truth.
I think the US does get a lot of criticism for its wars.
However, they've already got so much hassle giving other countries back, that giving it back to 0.8 percent of the indigenous population isn't that relevant. The UN recently made some fuss, and said Native American treaty land should be returned, but as the Palestinians know the UN can be safely ignored at will.

South Africa also used to get a lot of criticism for apartheid, but the country was given to the black-dominated ANC in 1994 already, so we're just a bit of a footnote these days. Some now say they should give it back to the whites, but those people aren't very visible.

There's not a lot of other discourse coming out of Australia.
And liberal Australia brought it on itself to an extent, with bands like Midnight Oil, and songs like Beds are burning: "The time has come to give it back, to say fair's fair, a fact's a fact ...", which got the whole world humming along to Aussie sloganeering.
It set itself a high standard with anti-apartheid boycotts and funding for what were then terrorist Marxist organizations, and criticizing others, so one would expect people in glass houses not to throw rocks or to live by their preachings.
edit on 10-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

Hi Bigfoot, the "black war" is really contested by historians as to whether it was a war or not. A lot of the supposed massacres have been proven to be false by a lack of evidence.
But I think your right, if Australia did have a conflict like the Americans had, than maybe there would be a lot less emphasis placed on it.
Your comment saying theres "not a lot of other discourse coming out of Australia" is probably the most correct, the world I think still has this image that we are convicts who massacred the Aborigines and we're not known for anything else which is why so much emphasis placed on it.
Thats not to say we don't have a history because we have given the world some extremely popular things such as the "secret ballot".

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

your ok in my book

EWWW, but sadly true

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattrat
tell me one good thing aborigines have done for their 'own' land, if anything all the government has done for them is give a possible future yet they throw it back in our faces.
In my honest opinion were the best thing that could happen to the aborigines, you guys dont know how much the Aus Government ALREADY does for them, to say give them more back is just ridiculous.
Do you know how much money the olympic dam mine has to give to the natives in that area, something like 4%, when BHP is posting profits in excess of 10 billions AUD think about how much the "natives" are getting..

That is in my opinion a very silly opinion in regards to the aborigines. What you fail to see is that they have no need for our western trinkets and were far more happy when we were not around, they had been peaceful and content for thousands of years. Then we arrive, introduce alcohol, kill loads of them, get them sick and basically force a way of life on them that they neither asked for or want in any way whatsoever. I used to live in an area of melbourne where loads of aborigines live and I can tell you first hand that they would be FAR better off if we had never landed on their shores, they are really struggling, with alcohol, drugs, violence and a general disconnection from their true selves. It is horrible to see and I just cannot listen to an opinion such as yours and not respond.

I feel terrible about what has happened to them, not that other nations have not also committed such barbaric and inconsiderate acts as us, not at all, although what happened on this land was one of the worst genocides in human history, and you say that they are better off.

I haven't personally noticed much animosity towards Aussies on ats although I do find that many consider us to be racist and xenophobic, which is kinda funny as we have an incredibly multicultural country. I find that people generally think of us as easy going, fun, big drinking types, well thats the perception I get when I go overseas.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Some people hear the stories of the whole NZ Australia thing and and think its serious. some compare it to the Israel Palestine situation. I find that funny. Hearing stuff like that puts the world in perspective. over here we yell at the tv over sporting events. Over there its religious war :s

Foreigners who mistake me for Australian and know of our friendly feud apologise a lot make me laugh. This side of the planet is much more relaxed lol.

Mmmmm America does and does not deserve the rap they get from people. New World Order front country of curb stomping imperialists. But thats not the American citizens fault. They could have picked any country to be the front and said country would receive flack.

Soon enough things will be straightened out
Not long left until the NWO, Illuminati empire publicly gets exposed and destroyed.

Then global hate levels will drop.
edit on 10-5-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Trust me, Us Americans hear about it all day everyday on how we screwed the natives.
But honestly they screwed themselves by not advancing out of the stone age.
They were given the most beautiful country with endless abundance that we still havent reaped away and they did nothing for thousands of years.
I dont hate Australia or Australians but I agree people need to let history go, None of us today had anything to do with what our forefathers did to each other.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

Originally posted by mattrat
tell me one good thing aborigines have done for their 'own' land, if anything all the government has done for them is give a possible future yet they throw it back in our faces.
In my honest opinion were the best thing that could happen to the aborigines, you guys dont know how much the Aus Government ALREADY does for them, to say give them more back is just ridiculous.
Do you know how much money the olympic dam mine has to give to the natives in that area, something like 4%, when BHP is posting profits in excess of 10 billions AUD think about how much the "natives" are getting..

That is in my opinion a very silly opinion in regards to the aborigines. What you fail to see is that they have no need for our western trinkets and were far more happy when we were not around, they had been peaceful and content for thousands of years. Then we arrive, introduce alcohol, kill loads of them, get them sick and basically force a way of life on them that they neither asked for or want in any way whatsoever. I used to live in an area of melbourne where loads of aborigines live and I can tell you first hand that they would be FAR better off if we had never landed on their shores, they are really struggling, with alcohol, drugs, violence and a general disconnection from their true selves. It is horrible to see and I just cannot listen to an opinion such as yours and not respond.

I feel terrible about what has happened to them, not that other nations have not also committed such barbaric and inconsiderate acts as us, not at all, although what happened on this land was one of the worst genocides in human history, and you say that they are better off.

I haven't personally noticed much animosity towards Aussies on ats although I do find that many consider us to be racist and xenophobic, which is kinda funny as we have an incredibly multicultural country. I find that people generally think of us as easy going, fun, big drinking types, well thats the perception I get when I go overseas.

I agree with you but I think what the other guy meant was imagine if the French, Spainish, or Chinese got here first, the Aborigines would have been totally wiped out.
But I have seen many Aboriginal people who are doing quite well, I think its (somewhat true) yet negative stereotype that we place on them, however, Aborigines get a lot more benefits than Australians. Also it wasn't one of the worst genocides in human history only 20,000 of them were killed by the settlers, although I agree it could have been avoided. Also Aborigines had been making alcohol from native plants thousands of years before the British arived, but because the British could make alcohol so quickly it had an extremely negative effect on the Aborigines.
Yeah I find that funny as well everyone overseas seems to think we are some "Nazi" state or something but the truth is we are a very multicultural place.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I don't hate Australia, actually I kinda like it. Actually I like it more than Canada. Now that I think about it, I'd go to OZ or NZ in a heartbeat with the right job opportunity. I like the Sheila's and I like the barbi's, braii's, barbeque, whatever you want to call it, just not burned meat in a pit. I'd prolly go live in Perth if I could. The ONLY problem in Australia is the same problem we have everywhere, GREEDY STUPID POLITICIANS and their handlers in the IMF and WORLD BANK. Nothing a good honest court and a bit of rope won't fix.

Should the Aussies, or the Americans, or the British, or the Israelis, etc. give their acquired turf back to the previous people/culture. That's a tuffy. We, in our respective countries have built the infrastructure, developed the land, etc. and generally have made life hell for most, both our aboriginal/indigenous people and most of us, all for the sake of profit, greed and personal excess.

I think we have to all come together and learn to share. We only have one home, this planet and if we keep fighting, we're just gonna mess it up so bad it's going to become unlivable. Did you see the video in another thread about the 2056 nuclear detonations/events since 1944, WOW. The North American Indians had it right, all along.... our governments are made up of truly stupid psychopathic people.

Should we all give all the land back, hell NO. We should share what we have, respect each other and leave the world a better place than the way we found it for the sake of our great-great grandchildren.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz

Some people hear the stories of the whole NZ Australia thing and and think its serious. some compare it to the Israel Palestine situation. I find that funny. Hearing stuff like that puts the world in perspective. over here we yell at the tv over sporting events. Over there its religious war :s

Foreigners who mistake me for Australian and know of our friendly feud apologise a lot make me laugh. This side of the planet is much more relaxed lol.

Mmmmm America does and does not deserve the rap they get from people. New World Order front country of curb stomping imperialists. But thats not the American citizens fault. They could have picked any country to be the front and said country would receive flack.

Soon enough things will be straightened out
Not long left until the NWO, Illuminati empire publicly gets exposed and destroyed.

Then global hate levels will drop.
edit on 10-5-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

I think the reason we are so much more relaxed over here is because,
A: We haven't really had wars in our countries, ie I don't consider either the Australian frontier wars or the NZ land wars to be actual wars.
B. Its because our climate is always sunny (well Australia is at least).

Yeah the Americans don't deserve the sh*t they get, its their government that does all the damage and reaps all the profits whilst the American people get blamed for it, they don't profit from those wars if anything they suffer for it.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Originally posted by tinker9917
I guess I also have missed the hate posts you speak of. Australia would be one of my first choices of places to visit if I had the chance. I'm sure it has it's share of problems just as any other, but I think it is way better than many, many places.

Hi Tinker, I don't have many examples but I just find whenever I try to argue my point across I get harassed by them just because I'm from Australia, much like this guy who began telling me about the Aboriginals.

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Australian Aborignines

Australian Aborigines (play /æbəˈrɪdʒɨni/), also called Aboriginal Australians, from the Latin ab origine (from the origin), are people who are indigenous to most of the Australian continent — that is, to mainland Australia and the island of Tasmania.

Deny Ignorance does not mean deny being ignorant.

And I recieved this lovely message from an Englishman after I released this thread "Did the British abandon Australia?".

Cry about Britain not serving your best interests all you want- We don't, and never did care about you or your sacrifices. The guise, which even you can see through was just to further Britain's own ends.You were taken for a ride and exploited all this time and still are in many respects. It's just politics. If you are upset by it all? Build a time machine, go to the 1800's and tell the government of Australia how to make themselves useful.

Oh, and while you're at it please ask them to stop disgracing our queen by putting her on your coins. Same with the Union Jack on your flag. I know it's nice to feel a part of something useful, but it's just insulting to the people who actually worked for it.

Britain served Britain's best interests. We were a nation of pirates and thieves, we were also bloody good at it.
Then the colonies took over.(It does get awfully tedious having to strip mine the planet and cart it all back to Blighty).
Seems like the Americans inherited most of our better(?) qualities however. Whilst you concentrated on Cricket,Rugby and invading Earls Court

Don't be glum, maybe your time will come.

This post brought to you by the Ex-Pat Broadcasting Network taking back the 13..... one woman at a time.

[The above statement does not represent the position of the poster and is here to merely demonstrate that taking oneself too seriously can lead to angst]

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Im fairly sure you cant give something back to someone who doesnt proclaim to own it. From my understanding (unless ive been miss informed). Native Australians did not claim ownership over land. They lived side by side with the land. Respected it, looked after it & in return the land looked after them. They sure did a better job of it then the white fella. There would have always been external threats to them from other countries. Give it back
nah. Live as a united group of people under the same flag (or 2, native flag does not offend me)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I didn't realize anyone hated Austrailia?
I have never had one negative thought or feeling about Australia or Australians. I would love to go there some day and my husband would move their in a heartbeat if he could. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I honestly didn't realize anyone hated Australia and it seems a bit ignorant to hate an entire country anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join