It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many people hate Australia?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hi ATS, I have noticed on just about every thread that has to do with Australia or even when you argue with someone that has nothing to do with Australia and they see where your from, they always make remarks like "Give Australia back to the Aborigines" and stuff like that.

If you go on to any American, British, Canadian, etc threads you NEVER see this argument put against them, so why is it ok to do it to us?
Now don't get me wrong some terrible things occurred in Australia in the 19th Century but let me put it into perspective, only 20 thousand Aborigines were killed in a period of 150 years.
While in America millions and millions were killed, or even in Tibet where to this very day the Chinese are genociding the Tibetans, but no one tells the Chinese to give back these lands...
Or what about West Papua which is occupied by Indonesia, they are native to those lands the Indonesians are not, the Papuans there too are being genocided but no one says anything.

But you make one little thread about Australia, and people (mostly Americans I found *ironic*) tell you about how we killed the Aborigines and everything. Why don't we see these arguments on about other countries?

Australia is not perfect but when it comes to human rights but we have a much better record than 90% of the countries in the world, and we are probably the most peaceful too since there has never been a war in our country and we have never started a war in history.
So I ask ATS what is with all this hate against Australia?

edit on 10-5-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Have I been missing something? Where is all this Australia hate?

I think Australia would be an awesome continent to visit.
The bugs are a little too Jurassik Park for my liking.

I think you can say "give it back to the native people" to any industrialized country.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I think Australia would be an awesome continent to visit.
The bugs are a little too Jurassik Park for my liking.

I think you can say "give it back to the native people" to any industrialized country.

Like I said in the OP, on many threads that I have visited and when I have tried to have a "discussion" with someone, if I'm winning they often retort to the "Give Australia back to the Aborigines", like wtf? Its not like their country is any better and what about the many countries today like China which genocides its native population (Tibetans).

The bugs aren't a worry tho, its funny because all the foreigners are scared of our extremely dangerous wildlife, yet when you get here you'll see us walking around in flip flops or just bare foot!!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

everybody loves Koala bears..

your ok in my book

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Dear CrimsonKapital,

A rant is a rant and deserves to be. Having said that, I don't know any Americans that hate Canadians or Australians. Look at how many of us visit each others countries and what media we buy. As for giving more reservations to the aborigines, that stands or falls on it's own merits and is to be decided by your country. Heck, the United Nations just said that they thought the US should give back Mount Rushmore to the Indians in our country. I personally believe that more of Hawaii should be turned over to the native Hawaiians. That doesn't mean that I hate my own people, just that I think we could do more for the natives (and I am not a native, I am of Irish decent). Australia is and has always been a good ally and partner and most Americans feel that way.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I guess I also have missed the hate posts you speak of. Australia would be one of my first choices of places to visit if I had the chance. I'm sure it has it's share of problems just as any other, but I think it is way better than many, many places.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
we had this thread already . didn't seem to turn up much hate against Australians

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Exactly.

________________________________________________________________________________________
CrimsonKapital

One of your fellow countrymen/women seems to feel the same way. And even uses the same descriptions you use to expound on all the hatred here for Aussies. Sockpuppet much?

Check out a few of DaasKapital's threads. You'll get your answers.

Bottom line. I haven't witnessed all the animosity toward Aussies. And I've looked for it. All I've seen are a small handful of jerks that will bash anybody, Aussie or not.

On the other hand, if these threads keep popping up, some people have a tendency to live up to the things they are being accused of.
edit on 5/10/2012 by Klassified because: clarity and grammar

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Are we supposed to?
Nobody ever informs me of the new fads. Maybe it's because your birds hide their heads in the sand. You should never have put boxing gloves on a Roo, it makes us look inferior. And last of all I think our toilets may flush differently. You guys seem to steal a lot of our retired singers away from us too.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
tell me one good thing aborigines have done for their 'own' land, if anything all the government has done for them is give a possible future yet they throw it back in our faces.
In my honest opinion were the best thing that could happen to the aborigines, you guys dont know how much the Aus Government ALREADY does for them, to say give them more back is just ridiculous.
Do you know how much money the olympic dam mine has to give to the natives in that area, something like 4%, when BHP is posting profits in excess of 10 billions AUD think about how much the "natives" are getting..

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well, (cough) there was the "black war" against the aboriginals.
Maybe if Australia had started more (like the US), instead of just being a side-show in other wars then people would stop focusing on that one?

That's a joke, but it has some truth.
I think the US does get a lot of criticism for its wars.
However, they've already got so much hassle giving other countries back, that giving it back to 0.8 percent of the indigenous population isn't that relevant. The UN recently made some fuss, and said Native American treaty land should be returned, but as the Palestinians know the UN can be safely ignored at will.

South Africa also used to get a lot of criticism for apartheid, but the country was given to the black-dominated ANC in 1994 already, so we're just a bit of a footnote these days. Some now say they should give it back to the whites, but those people aren't very visible.

There's not a lot of other discourse coming out of Australia.
And liberal Australia brought it on itself to an extent, with bands like Midnight Oil, and songs like Beds are burning: "The time has come to give it back, to say fair's fair, a fact's a fact ...", which got the whole world humming along to Aussie sloganeering.
It set itself a high standard with anti-apartheid boycotts and funding for what were then terrorist Marxist organizations, and criticizing others, so one would expect people in glass houses not to throw rocks or to live by their preachings.
edit on 10-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I have only just heard about this for the first time ever.
I think I did read about Americans and a few remarks about the Brits regarding their natives / colonies, but never about Australia.
I assure you, Germans are definitely VERY fond of Australians and their beautiful country. No hate here.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
People think we're all convicts that talk like crocodile dundee and use kangaroos for transport.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

everybody loves Koala bears..

your ok in my book

THEY'RE NOT BEARS.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I like Australia and Australians
I haven't had the chance to visit yet, but I've had some Australian clients I've worked with and they were some of the nicest people I've worked with.

I think the history and the culture is interesting too.

Maybe people are hating on you guys because they are jealous of your cool accents

edit on 10-5-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

You're insane. I have been on this site frequently for a year and a bit and have never seen frequent 'hate' of Australia.

I, myself, am a supporter of giving back land to all first nations peoples of all countries.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I guess I also have missed the hate posts you speak of. Australia would be one of my first choices of places to visit if I had the chance. I'm sure it has it's share of problems just as any other, but I think it is way better than many, many places.

Hi Tinker, I don't have many examples but I just find whenever I try to argue my point across I get harassed by them just because I'm from Australia, much like this guy who began telling me about the Aboriginals.

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Australian Aborignines

Australian Aborigines (play /æbəˈrɪdʒɨni/), also called Aboriginal Australians, from the Latin ab origine (from the origin), are people who are indigenous to most of the Australian continent — that is, to mainland Australia and the island of Tasmania.

Deny Ignorance does not mean deny being ignorant.

And I recieved this lovely message from an Englishman after I released this thread "Did the British abandon Australia?".

Cry about Britain not serving your best interests all you want- We don't, and never did care about you or your sacrifices. The guise, which even you can see through was just to further Britain's own ends.You were taken for a ride and exploited all this time and still are in many respects. It's just politics. If you are upset by it all? Build a time machine, go to the 1800's and tell the government of Australia how to make themselves useful.

Oh, and while you're at it please ask them to stop disgracing our queen by putting her on your coins. Same with the Union Jack on your flag. I know it's nice to feel a part of something useful, but it's just insulting to the people who actually worked for it.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I haven't encountered any of this Aussie hating.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious

I have only just heard about this for the first time ever.
I think I did read about Americans and a few remarks about the Brits regarding their natives / colonies, but never about Australia.
I assure you, Germans are definitely VERY fond of Australians and their beautiful country. No hate here.

Maybe the people I met were just trolls because so far I haven't recieved any criticism of my OP.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
People think we're all convicts that talk like crocodile dundee and use kangaroos for transport.
. Dont we?. I do

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join