It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 20 Solar Eclipse: Preview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here are a few screen shots using the time machine features in Sky Safari and Stellarium of the May 20, 2012 Solar Eclipse. You can see the time signatures, I am in the central time zone so I will only be able to see the beginning, but for kicks I did a screen shot from the west coast.

Enjoy!

Current Location

W indicates horizon

Current Location
Green Line indicates Horizon, however will begin at 6:45 so should be partially viewable from my location.

San Diego California, the Horizon is way below the image. Lucky you. Did not use the realistic sky as it whitewashed the image in this one.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Anyhow, I encourage you to show your images of your location.

Also, quite the planetary alignment for that day huh?

The force is strong in this one, quetzalcoatl is pleased.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Just checked out my Stellarium, and it looks like we on the East Coast will only be able to just the very beginning of the eclipse as the sun sets. Damn, I'm never going to be able to see a good one...lucky West Coasters.

Oh well, its better than nothing. At least it should create some interesting lighting, which might allow for some interesting photos, just not of the eclipse.
edit on 10-5-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Ok...I'm not sure, but I think I had Stellarium set for Daylight Savings Time, making what I saw be 5 hours behind UTC (UTC-5). It should be UTC-4...so it looks like we will actually see a good bit here on the East Coast, starting at 6:00 p.m.
edit on 10-5-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

The obvious best place to view would be at the pyramid in Mexico. While watching the serpent shadow entering the ground. Too bad Stellarium does not have that feature. Might be time for a road trip!

You might be right though, Ill have to look into that.
edit on 10-5-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the post! I live in Oregon but we are going to go watch the eclipse in Crescent City, CA. I am very excited as I haven't seen one since I was a kid back in the 60s.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantazero

No prob, the only one I ever saw was when I was in Elementary school. We punched pinholes in a piece of paper and viewed it that way.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

We did the same, but I still took a look with my eyes. This time we have some mylar and welding glasses to look through. This is my daughters first eclipse and she has been looking forward to seeing it for some time. The only worry now is will it be sunny.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Heres a close up.

Looks like a crescent moon.

join