It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Lost story of how US money is referred to as " $ "

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Hermes Trismegistus:

The Greek title of the Egyptian moon god, Thoth, one of the most interesting figures in Egyptian mythology. He is represented by Ibis or with the ibis head, and is fully illustrated in the monuments and papyrus rolls from time to time brought to light.

He is the god of time and of its divisions; he is the measurer and the god of measurements. He is the conductor of the dead. He is also the god of human intelligence, to whom are attributed all the productions of human art. All the literature of Egypt is attributed to him-- all the writings that relate to the different sciences, mathematics, astronomy, medicine, music. These were called by the Greeks the Hermetic Books. Thoth is also credited with the invention of alchemy and magic.

The Hermetic art is used to mean alchemy. The secrets of this art were handed on from teacher to pupil orally and in secret and this transmission was termed the Hermetic chain. For these reasons the Greeks identified him with their Hermes, and besides called him Trismegistus, "Thrice Greatest."

By later writers, Euhemerists, Neoplatonists, and Christians, Thoth was considered a great Egyptian king, a teacher of mankind, who had left books of magic and mystery behind him. Numerous books of such sort once existed in Egypt. Clement of Alexandria knew of 42, and so-called Hermetic fragments are still extant in the works of Stobaeus Cyrillus, Suidas and Lactantius. The Hermetic books as we know them belong probably to no earlier date than 3rd or 4th century of our era and are in Greek and Latin.

- The Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 14, Page 132
1962 Edition

Thoth:

An Egyptian deity identified by the Greeks with Hermes. He was originally the moon god, and the invention of letters, arts, and sciences was attributed to him.

The ibis was sacred to him and he is represented with the head of that bird, and with the tau cross in his hand. The dog-headed ape is also one of his attributes, and he is frequently depicted with a dog's head.

There were 42 sacred books bearing his name, which were under the guardianship of the Egyptian priests. These books he is said to have composed; and he accordingly appears in the monuments with tables and stylus.

- The Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26, Page 590
1962 Edition

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Did you guys catch the subtle references to Lucifer? Venus... serpent... giver of intelligence to man...

Did you guys catch the subtle references to Baphomet? Hermaphrodite... caduceus in his pants...

Baphomet:

The Baphomet we recognize today is a winged goat with a masculine torso and breasts; he has a blazing torch between his horns, and cloven feet. Adding to the confusion, one arm is male and the other is female, and all in all this has become a real boogeyman of a symbol, inspiring fright and terror.

The image made its first appearance relatively recently, in Eliphas Levi's Dogma and Rituals of High Magic (1854). Although Levi intended the creature (also called the Goat of Mendes) to be an idealized symbolic form, an amalgam of images from all disciplines including the Kabbalah, he actually created something that looks far more terrifying than he may have originally intended. The picture influenced illustrations of the Devil, not only in Tarot card illustrations but also among latter-day rock bands and, as already mentioned, among Satanists.

Baphomet himself was first described at the trials of the Knights Templar, centuries before Levi's interpretation. When the Order began in the twelfth century, it was designed to protect pilgrims traveling to Jerusalem. Because the Knights were exempt from taxation, they amassed a huge amount of wealth and, consequently, power. When they became a threat to the establishment, they were persecuted and part of this persecution included accusations of heresy including the worship of a peculiar looking goat-headed creature.

- The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs And Symbols, Pages 24-25

The Knights Templars were synonymous with banking and currency exchange.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
And a bit of a bonus speculation:

Cagliostro Seal:

This curious sigil, the image of a snake, impaled by an arrow but with an apple in its mouth, presses all sorts of symbolic buttons; all three elements of the seal are powerful emblems in themselves. Is this snake that tempted Eve with the apple, being punished for its transgressions? The snake also makes a curious S shape; is this significant, and if so, how? In addition, the union of the line of the arrow and the serpent seems to make a lemniscate, or figure-of-eight, symbol, meaning infinity. Unfortunately, it seems as though the precise meaning of the seal died with its namesake.

Cagliostro himself seems to be as mysterious as his seal. The self-styled Count Alessandro Cagliostro was actually born as the much less grand-sounding Guiseppe Balsamo, and lived in Italy in the eighteenth century. The rumors surrounding his life and adventures come thick and fast and there is very little that is known for certain, due in no part to the dense forest of fantastical stories that Cagliostro seems to have hidden himself within.

He said that he has been born into nobility but for some reason was abandoned on Malta, whereupon he wandered, as a child, throughout Morocco and Egypt where he learned many arcane mysteries, including those of the Kabbalah and alchemical magic.

Whatever the truth, he certainly had skills as a pharmacist. It seems that the secure advantages of regular employment held no attraction for the Count, his attention being much more drawn to magical and mystical matters. He became a maker and vendor of magical amulets and talismans, and later, forgeries, including letters, certificates and a myriad of official documents. He also offered the sexual favors of his beautiful young wife as trade for instruction in forgery.

Cagliostro's Seal has been the result of much analysis and conjecture, it's appearance so convincing that it was even incorporated into an early Masonic-style organization called The Brotherhood of Luxor.

- The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs And Symbols, Pages 32-33

Further Reference:
Cagliostro’s Serpent Seal

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

1:- Man dying to his lower self becoming celibate, serpent bites his tail (ancient Egyptian symbol) becoming a priest after the order of the priest kings Melchizedek 2:- This is what happen when it is written Jesus died on the cross i.e. he died to this world to ascend he went up into the clouds. Now this: V (Vau) indicates affinity; completes the trinity is pictured by the bond of love and the mystery of union exemplified by the four knights and suit of swords so we see Vau completes the union; so we see Jesus was taken up or went up as we use the king of reality Selassie. As the four knights, of tarot symbolizes the mystic union so does in the book of revelation the four recording angels surround the throne each of which possess six wings, the elders or are four and twenty all these numbers are teaching us of something hidden if we only knew. H (He) the second He represents the second marking in transition from the metaphysical: in other words Haile Selassie was taken up beyond the physical (metaphysical) and as the second He, shows, will return unto the physical view of this world proving on all levels the metaphysical and esoteric teaching concerning the mastery of life over death and or mind over matter. Here the poet priest Rastaman will tell you that the return of the king Haile Selassie is the utterance of the true name YHVH represents the four syllables Ra - Sta - Far - I .

rastafari.unn13.com...
edit on 10-5-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

• The Caduceus (serpent staff) is synonymous with Hermes/Mercury who is the patron god of merchants.

• Hermes is attributed with magic and also is associated with Thoth, who is also a magician and giver of intelligence to mankind.... light bearer... Lucifer.

• Baphomet has a caduceus in his pants, is a hermaphrodite (Hermes + Aphrodite) and is affiliated with the money changers The Knights Templars.

• Linking Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mysteries/mythology with Lucifer, Baphomet, and secret societies.

** Money is the root of all evil

P.S.
Wow... that was a lot of typing

edit on 5/10/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
did you know ,, the dollar sign,, " $ " has lost the story of WHY we use it?? or , Where it came from....

know-body Really knows..

Some say," Didn't it used to be a "U" and an "S" intertwined?

Old paper currency used to have the 'U' over the 'S', but the arms of the 'U' were bolder than the loop at the bottom. It was easier to hand write it with 2 strokes than a 'U' so it stuck .
but i think that the "$" is older then that..

many stories go back before there was a U. S.,, to Spanish doubloons and how, the $ was meant to mean silver..

We know there are a number of other theories about the origin of the symbol, some with a measure of academic acceptance, others the symbolic equivalent of false etymologies.

it seems odd that in only 200 years (give or take)- we would Definitively lose, something, that at the time, must have been,-- obvious -- to the population..

ETA and THAT is why i placed it "lost Civilizations"

Lets hear what you think!!

edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: add a thingy

Your grammar is very interesting. You speak as if you are an American using "we" and "us" and such. But then you say "know-body knows" which is wrong in more than 1 way. ... instead of just periods and capitalizing random words in the sentence.

ETA- Estimated time of arrival is the definition.

ETA and THAT is why i placed it "lost Civilizations" is how you used it though.

I know it sounds like I am ishing on you but honestly it is just very curious. Sorry for not contributing at all, it is an interesting topic that I had never thought of. Is there a significance that I am missing somehow though?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

dun u kno tha th www es killin th engrish langwage??????
2nd
3rd
4th
edit on 11-5-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The Dollar Sign $ - Theories of its Origins
Since the symbol is more recent than the name, and the origins of the latter are well understood, one might expect that the origins of the sign would also be known for certain particularly when the origin of the British pound sign, £, which is far older, is well-established. However that is not the case with regard to the dollar. Perhaps this is less surprising when there has been controversy over the origin of the sign for the European euro, €, a currency that did not come into existence until 1999. (It has been claimed that the euro sign was invented by Arthur Eisenmenger more than a quarter of a century before the currency was introduced). Nevertheless a number of theories about the origin of the dollar symbol have been proposed.

The United States Abbreviation Theory One of the most popular theories is that the dollar sign is derived from the initials of the United States. If you superimpose a capital "U" on a capital "S" then drop the lower part of the "U", what you end up with is a version of the dollar symbol with two strokes. This theory was endorsed by the American libertarian philosopher and staunch defender of capitalism, Ayn Rand, in her novel Atlas Shrugged. Chapter 10 is entitled the Sign of the Dollar. Rand claimed the dollar sign was the symbol not only of the currency, but also the nation, a free economy, and a free mind.

The Peso Abbreviation and Piece of Eight Theories However, a more widely accepted theory nowadays is that the sign owes its origins to the Spanish peso. One version of this theory is that the standard abbreviation of "peso" was simply "P", but the plural form was a large "P" with a small "s" above it and to its right. This was simplified by retaining only the upward stroke of the "P" and superimposing the "S" upon it. Hence the symbol of the dollar.

A few other theories HERE.

Kinda interesting that nothing solid has turned up yet. Hmmm.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I know my replies are long, but I thought the information I provided in this thread made the dollar sign's origins quite obvious.

I'll snip the important parts:

Caduceus:
The staff considered as a symbol and attribute of the Greek god Hermes and the Roman god Mercury. Among the moderns it serves principally as a symbol of commerce.

Mercury:

The English name for the Roman god Mercurius who, with winged hat and sandals, was messenger of the gods and divinity of the market place and commerce. He was originally a Greek God, Hermes.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
And then there was Vulcan the God who built vessels through fire and metal.

Vulcan made UFOs

Romans:

"The Romans identified Vulcan with the Greek smith-god Hephaestus, and he became associated like his Greek counterpart with the constructive use of fire in metalworking."

Greeks:

"Hephaestus crafted much of the magnificent equipment of the gods, and almost any finely-wrought metalwork imbued with powers that appears in Greek myth is said to have been forged by Hephaestus: Hermes' winged helmet and sandals, the Aegis breastplate, Aphrodite's famed girdle, Agamemnon's staff of office,[5] Achilles' armor, Heracles' bronze clappers, Helios' chariot as well as his own due to his lameness, the shoulder of Pelops, Eros' bow and arrows. Hephaestus worked with the help of the chthonic Cyclopes, his assistants in the forge.[6]"

edit on 11-5-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Is Vulcan credited with crafting the Caduceus?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

I thought mine was pretty solid
A stroke through a letter indicates that the letter is an abbreviation. The S with the slash ($) stands for solidus, originating in Rome in 301 AD representing 1,000 denarii.
It also would explain the symbol we use for cents (¢) with the c being the first letter of the abbreviation.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nobody has yet mentioned the explanation that I've usually seen elsewhere-
that it derives from the "pillar of Hercules" symbol on the old Spanish coins that used to circulate in the Americas.
A scroll wrapped round a pillar turned into an S shape superimposed on a vertical stroke.

Apologies- no, somebody did get there first.

edit on 11-5-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I wanted to throw something out there, that may be a little off then most other responses.

Today, symbology plays a huge part of our lives. The symbol is used as a reference to dollars, which as we can see has no real solid foundation, but many different theories.

Take this example for instance.

What would be the first thing to cross someones mind when they see this picture? People are expected to put 2 big macs, in place of 2 zero's.

So you think its understandable if you tried to find out if their beef was actually 100% and it wasn't, could you go back to McDonald's and complain that its only 1 % ? They wouldn't not be held liable because you put a value system on a hamburger, instead of on an actual numerical value.

Symbols are there for just that reason. In order to truly look at money, what it means, and how the wording changed, you have to see what money is worth, and what $ is worth, and why they dont coincide.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hi, $ watchers.

Did anybody notice that the ONE slash $ exists only since the computers exists ?

I know it is rather complicated to create characters on a PC for showing
them on the screen, because I "played" with that on my VIC-20 from
Commodore C=. . .Remember ?

AND, there is quite little "room" for each character's spots, on the screen. . .
You know? . . .the PICA sizes. . .?

Sooooooooo, the single slash $ is for simplicity and room "rationales",
on the PC's screens.

I DO write, with a pencil, pen, stylo. . . my $s, with 2 slashes.

Blue skies.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Now I come to think of it, exactly the same thing has happened to the "pound" sign.
There used to be two horizontal strokes (I've just checked my old school notebooks).
Now there is one; thus £

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Per your pic, yah, 1% beef is accurate.

Symbolizing does influence us immensely.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

reply to post by crimsongod21

i hear yah..

i think Somebody should do a Doctoral Thesis on this!!

It's amazing how in only a few hundred years we could lose track..

did you know SEARS sold CARS?? from a Catalog ?

edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: spellenglish
And also sold 'coc aine' too

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

did you know ,, the dollar sign,, " $ " has lost the story of WHY we use it?? or , Where it came from....

know-body Really knows..

Some say," Didn't it used to be a "U" and an "S" intertwined?

Old paper currency used to have the 'U' over the 'S', but the arms of the 'U' were bolder than the loop at the bottom. It was easier to hand write it with 2 strokes than a 'U' so it stuck .
but i think that the "$" is older then that..

many stories go back before there was a U. S.,, to Spanish doubloons and how, the $ was meant to mean silver..

We know there are a number of other theories about the origin of the symbol, some with a measure of academic acceptance, others the symbolic equivalent of false etymologies.

it seems odd that in only 200 years (give or take)- we would Definitively lose, something, that at the time, must have been,-- obvious -- to the population..

ETA and THAT is why i placed it "lost Civilizations"

Lets hear what you think!!

edit on 5/10/12 by darrman because: add a thingy

Your grammar is very interesting. You speak as if you are an American using "we" and "us" and such. But then you say "know-body knows" which is wrong in more than 1 way. ... instead of just periods and capitalizing random words in the sentence.

ETA- Estimated time of arrival is the definition.

ETA and THAT is why i placed it "lost Civilizations" is how you used it though.

I know it sounds like I am ishing on you but honestly it is just very curious. Sorry for not contributing at all, it is an interesting topic that I had never thought of. Is there a significance that I am missing somehow though?

ETA Means in short hand,,, EDIT TO ADD

i added a small thing or two... so i stuck THAT in there sorry if i confused you

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Thanks Posters!!

Great theory's all

and a lot of WORK for many!

My little grey cells had a trip with THIS one!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join