It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've Got To Take A Break...Brake....Brayke....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
As many wonderful and supportive people as there are on ATS, there are a few who are really getting under my skin with cheap shots and nit-picking. The whole grammar police thing is getting old. People make mistakes, but that doesn't mean they're stupid, worthless, and deserving of being made fun of.

What is wrong with some of you? Does it make you feel superior and special to harp on somebody? Good God, either you have a severe maturity issue, or you're just a mean person who gets their jollies from being snarky and cruel. You know who you are, no need to call you out by name.

I try to be as kind and caring as I can be on this site. I appreciate the people who have been kind in return. But I don't want to come on here to be somebody's clown, their punching bag, or their excuse to be cute and clever at my expense. They start no threads, they add NOTHING of value or insight, but they're the first to issues put-downs and negative thoughts.

I suspect that's why many people who used to be prolific posters are now gone. When all the pleasure is gone from participating on a site, I think it's time to sign off and go do something else that doesn't cause negativity, irritation, or feelings of inadequacy. The insults, nastiness, and cruelty are unnecessary and drag this site down. The only thing I learned from this is that there are many operating in the anonymity of the internet who get fulfillment from being mean. ATS has become infected with them.

I put my neck out on a thread, used a different spelling of a word (but it sounded the same, so no warning on the spell-check), and am still being made fun of on other threads for it. It's OK if you didn't like my thread, or thought I was way off and you disagreed, but the "eminent" vs. "imminent" thing is being used to indicate that somehow I'm dumb and don't know the difference. What have I done to you posters to cause you to use me as the joke du jour? It makes me incredibly sad, but it should come as no surprise, because that is how people are these days. I'm not talking about people who disagree with me, that is their right. I'm talking about the nastiness. You can disagree and be a decent human being. Many posters know how to do that and I respect them for it. But I cannot respect meanness. I despise it and abhor it. It disgusts me.

You can call me a whiner, a cry-baby, an overly-sensitive idiot, I don't care. People have feelings. We aren't robots, we are real flesh-and-blood people behind our words and our avatars. Why is it necessary to step on other people's feelings, thoughts and ideas?? You want to do that on this rant? GO FOR IT. Show the rest just how low and petty you can get.

To all the good ones on here, whether we agreed in the past or not, keep up the good work. You are appreciated beyond words. To the nasty, unproductive, snarky ones, karma has a way of paying you back. Remember that.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Good luck!

This is a normal part of the ATS cycle of life. Lol, I've taken several breaks, a couple Mod induced, a couple by choice. Your taking the high road by realizing its time to take a step outside for a it. Many including myself have fallen to the temptation of blowing up on some one and it never turns out nice.

Take care, fellow member! Return when your ready.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I know exactly how you feel.

I started a thread to ask for help in stopping a nasty cyber-bullying event on Facebook. Lots of concerned people responded with great advice.

Then "they" arrived.

Ridicule, scorn, derision. The thread was called "an egotistical mastubatory fest.". Why? It was like some sick feeding frenzy.

I guess, in the end, you have to decide whether you will give them the power to upset you, or not.

Go hug your cat....fuzz therapy is a tremendous help.

And did you notice the thread about the Texas earthquake?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I don't blame you in the least, i highly enjoyed your thread even though it turned out to be false(?)(edit: Poster above mentioned an eq in texas not too long ago ), and really, people attacking for one grammatical error? Grow up folks, if you can't post on a thread maturely, then don't do it at all. Personal attacks are cheap shots, once again, grow up.

I find myself having to step away from it for awhile too, im not a huge poster, but there is a lot of crap that gets on my nerves here sometimes. usually only on a bad day.

You have been a good contributor to the community, I know that avatar anywhere. Give it a couple weeks and come back to us and hopefully all this drama will be gone.

No one likes drama..well, cept drama queens (most of the world). Hope to see you again!
edit on 10/5/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You shouldn't worry that much, it's just the internet

No person no matter what they say can piss me off on the internet, it's just their opinion and they have the right to have that opinion, you have the option to ignore them or just accept them.

I took a cheap shot on ATS members in your thread the other day but not you as a person, the reason was that people flag something that IMO opinion is useless, flags are not a reward it's for notifying other members about something important.

There was some funny comments aimed at me afterward that i chose to ignore, because i stood by my opinion, and i did have the option to edit the post that got "oftopic'ed" to avoid that, but i didn't.

Don't let it bother you, if other members step over the line the Mods will take care of it, like they did with mine, the rest you should just ignore.
Keep up the good work

edit on 10-5-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Breaks (Brakes) from ATS should be Mandatory!

It's not just the occassional trouble-maker; the subject matter alone, while usually something we need to be aware of ... is also such that it can make one a bit off center if constantly bombarded and we don't get a rest or break (brake) away from ATS.

I had a very pleasant year completely offline and came back energized.
edit on 10/5/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

a lot of these grammar/spelling nazis are fully aware
of the long term effects of being taught using the Phonics method

they use ridicule as they lack better arguments

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I for one always appreciate your posts.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have not been on much since my last thread, which you said some very nice things in. Thank you for that. I have been spending most of my time in my garden and with my daughter. I think another two weeks of low exposure and I will feel better. Try not to let the lowlife's bother you too much. But yes, breaks are good, and my garden is thriving already because of it.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
FissionSurplus
The Internet always has had an anything-goes atmosphere where flame wars and harsh language are common. Now there are more places than ever for people to spout their thoughts — often with relative anonymity —

I use spell check allot but sometime i just don't have any idea how the word is spelled and spell check sometimes comes up with 10 different ways to spell the word i want to use so most of the times i just wing it and hope the grammar/spelling Nazis wont eat me alive..

Ive had my share of nasty mean posters come in just to humiliate me and the thread and yes its very hurtful and it disgusts me also..

I always try to be nice to people sometimes Ive even let a thread just die to avoid the stress because i don't want to argue or hurt another's feelings..Ive read many of your posts and your last thread was great there is just no reason for people to be mean .

I think on ATS you just have to grow a thicker skin and its not easy you seem like a nice person id just try to ignore most of it don't let it get under your skin..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

new topics

top topics

join