It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion: Identify those who star and flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
ANYONE who gave this person stars, I hope you get charged with apostacy.....

edit on 13-4-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck

I give Jameela a few stars for making clear how this is perceived in Iran and possibly other theocracies. I won't be the one to shoot at the messenger. I have a better understanding now of how they think and to that I am thankful and will award a few stars...

This happens when its anonymous, what would happen if it wasn't? Its a very bad idea, unless you are a person who wants to bully others into agreeing with you. Why should anyone have to answer to why they starred a post?
edit on 12-5-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I like the idea. I just wonder how it would be implemented.

Do you have any idea how this would work? Like how would you view who starred and flagged? A drop down list?

A separate link to a page with a list?

Just thinking out loud here.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I don't like the idea of stars and flags in the first place. Favoritism becomes more important than content. Are we so insecure that we need such trivial and constant affirmation of our worth? I post my ideas to strike up a conversation on things that I'm interested in. If other members aren't interested, they don't respond. If people respond negatively to my ideas, it won't change how I think, while others may offer an insight that would help my mind to grow. Stars and flags don't mean a thing to me.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I have an even better idea .... get rid of those damn stars.
Keep the flags. They are useful.
But those freakn' stars are nothing more than people rewarding others who think like them.
Rewards for group think amongst bad posters ....
And I've seen tons of stars going onto absolutely stupid (and wrong) posts ....

Dump the stars. PLEASE ...

Well that was the idea I thought, to stop people replying with 1 line "I agree" posts.

a star signifies someone agrees.

Now if it were to become that we know who does what, Id either start S&F everything to skew it, or none at all. defeating the purpose. I think it's a bad idea. What I agree and disagree with, if I have little to add, is none of anyone's business. If I can add to a thread I'll do so and people will know what my stance is on others opinions.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Originally posted by Majic
I can see why folks would want to know

Why? I don't understand why people care who gives stars. And I think it would just cause a lot of "I see so-and-so starred that hideous post! Not a surprise, considering he also flagged this and this and starred this one, too!"

Besides, I consider it my "vote" of sorts. And I like my privacy when I vote.

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Agree 100%! I'd star your post if I could.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Exactly. Not only would more fights brew here on ATS, but more importantly I would start fearing for my own safety. An unballanced and delluded moron could take exception to some comment and pay me an unwelcomed visit.

You NEVER share personal information with ANYONE on the internet, unless you specifically solicit for something in the first place. To think otherwise means you are young/naive and prone to exploitation!

edit on 5/12/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: edit content

Wait, what? I don't think they are implying that personal information be shared

Still though, this is a stupid idea.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Exactly. Not only would more fights brew here on ATS, but more importantly I would start fearing for my own safety. An unballanced and delluded moron could take exception to some comment and pay me an unwelcomed visit.

You NEVER share personal information with ANYONE on the internet, unless you specifically solicit for something in the first place. To think otherwise means you are young/naive and prone to exploitation!

edit on 5/12/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: edit content

Wait, what? I don't think they are implying that personal information be shared

Still though, this is a stupid idea.

The first step in planning an attack on your opponent, in a physical sense, is to first see who supports what, then start digging for addresses and phone numbers etc. I don't have 100% trust with the staff and if the price is right well you get the picture.

Its a trend I have noticed of late. Facebook, YouTube, Yahoo all ask for personal details to register with them. you give them an inch and then they want a yard, then a mile. Better to cut the BS before it gets really serious imo.

Why do you think the government is desperate to start cracking down on free speach with cisca, sopa, pipa all with the pretense of combatting piracy? Piracy laws have existed going back to the digital millenium act and before.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here is last years thread I mentioned and others: (too late to edit my first post)

Is there a way to determine who has starred your post?

The thread was much shorter than this one but the same arguments are made.

Would an option to see who has flagged be of use?
edit on 12-5-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The only thing I don't understand is why ATS does not implement a positive/neutral/negative system.

You like something you flag up. You are neutral you leave it alone. You dislike it and you flag down.

Seems 100% fair, BUT....

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

This is true.

Facebook and Gmail/YouTube (both owned by Google) seem determined to get my cell phone number. They ask me every goddamn day when I log in

Joke's on them. I refuse to own a cell phone anyways.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

This is true.

Facebook and Gmail/YouTube (both owned by Google) seem determined to get my cell phone number. They ask me every goddamn day when I log in

Joke's on them. I refuse to own a cell phone anyways.

Yes. Same here and very aggrivating. I don't get the same message every day though. I get it about once a month or so. The warning is extremely deceptive...borderline criminal imho! Very large text urging mobile# for security reasons or in case you forget it, then microscopically small text saying "skip for now".

Madison avenue marketing is being used by the gestapo government it seems. Government and big business are siamese twins and you cannot trust either. I try to post as calm and collected as possible here on ATS as well as on other blogs so as not to trip any *red flag* alarms.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
heres something to think about

supermoderators on this site are able to star and flag any post/thread as many times as they want,

so yes, a supermoderator can add 50 flags to the thread that talks about nike sneakers and how low quality they are,

while the thread about legislation in congress to outlaw home grown foods gets ignored and far less flags.

personaly, i think it is unfair and biased that a supermoderator can flag a thread as many times as they want, but hey what can we do right? after all. they run the site.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

you are kidding right?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Seems that it's not just countries that have elite that pull strings, but forums too...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

not kidding, only reason i know it is due to that bug that occured awhile back relating to the people who have member (lower case m) under their name on the left of your posts,

apparently, they had a change of system which caused any one with that lower case m to become a super moderator, i was one of them, so for only about 30 minutes, my account was a super moderator, noticeing the fact i could flag a thread over and over was the first thing that caught my attention, half hour later my account was back to normal

when this all happened i sent a pm to skepticoverlord about what had happened to my account, he replied with the confirmation and clarification, i copy paste his pm

"Simple mistake.

At the time when your account was registered, "member" was inserted as your status instead of "Member" because of a code change... notice the lower case.

Now, in our case-sensitive control panel for resetting passwords, it doesn't "see" lower-case "member" and defaults to the first option on the list which is -- yup -- you guessed it, Super Moderator. "

but this is the first time i have mentioned what i noticed about being able to flag without limit, at the time i kept quiet about it cause i figured i had seen something i wasnt supposed to, and didnt want an account ban simply for telling their little secret about no flag limit.

gotta tell it eventualy though i guess,

cant say it isnt what i expected though, for the ones controling the data which flows through this site to have the ability to alter that data. only makes sense.
edit on 5/12/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

So super mods can multi star and flag a thread...

That is interesting to know. It would be worth making a thread on this to clarify why this is the case.... If you do make a thread let me know please

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Having the SM able to apply multiple stars, etc. would serve no purpose other then to bias the system. IMO.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
can anybody explain what the letters and numbers under one's avatar mean? i know S is stars and F is flag(though i don't really understand the concept yet), but what do the others represent?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

P posts F flags (recieved) S stars (recieved) W wats K karma

for info on what they are (karma and wats) try here www.abovetopsecret.com...

reply to post by purplemer

im realy under motivated to make a thread about it, i just dont realy have much more to say on it then i already did in that post, and i guess im a bit pessimistic that making a thread about it will change anything, hell they could tell us they have changed it and we wouldnt know if its true, they could deny it completely and their is nothing to go on but my word, so realy whats the point of making a thread about it,

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Because some clarification on the subject would be interesting...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
thank you, pryingopen3rdeye

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join