It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.7 earthquake hits East Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
www.ktre.com...

Wow we hardly ever have earthquakes. Things are getting a little too active for my liking.

Residents in Shelby County and Nacogdoches County got a shaking surprise Thursday morning when a 3.7 earthquake hit southwest of Timpson. The US Geological Society reports the earthquake hit around 10:15 a.m.

edit on 10-5-2012 by stdscf12 because: (no reason given)

Here is some more info
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Did you feel this? Im in tyler area..I didnt feel it. Very wierd though. I posted a few things in the quake thread already. My local news is all over it on facebook..lol I know its not very big at all, but alarming for us anyway.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
FissionSurplus from Texas posted a couple of days ago that her husband was a human earthquake detector....she predicted there would be a quake in the next couple of days.

Looks like she was right!

edit on 10-5-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

No I'm about 100 miles away from the area. So I didn't feel it, but some of my friends, who live in the area did. (according to their facebook)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Our member from Texas posted a couple of days ago that her husband was a human earthquake detector....she predicted there would be a quake in the next couple of days.

I read that article. A little weird but earthquakes do happen regularly around the world. If he would have said Texas, an area not know for seismic activity, then it would've have been much more valid. Also he said a big earth quake; 3.7 isn't very big.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Weren't the people that posted the Human Seismograph thread the other day from Texas?

Not a very big one at all, but it's weird!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
last year there were a couple western Tx quakes attributed to fracking,..perhaps this year they are fracking more in the east..

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

FissionSurplus from Texas posted a couple of days ago that her husband was a human earthquake detector....she predicted there would be a quake in the next couple of days.

That thread was titled: "The Human Seismograph Says: Big Earthquake Eminent"

A 3.7 is not a big earthquake by any standard. A "Big" earthquake is at least a 7, which would be over 1,000 times as powerful as this tiny rumble..

BTW, there are many hundreds of under 4 quakes per day. Its not that shocking to predict one of that size will happen.
edit on 5/10/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

That thread was titled: "The Human Seismograph Says: Big Earthquake Eminent"

A 3.7 is not a big earthquake by any standard.

True....but I still found it an interesting coinkydink!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

BTW, there are many hundreds of under 4 quakes per day. Its not that shocking to predict one of that size will happen.

...in Texas ?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

...in Texas ?

Theres about 2,740 earthquakes per day. Sometimes they occur in seemingly unlikely places. However just because an area is not historically earthquake prone, does not mean there are not some earthquakes in that area. And when one of those areas does have its once a year earthquake, or whatever, it does not carry any more significance than when a greatly earthquake prone area has its once an hour earthquake.

Predicting a 3.7 earthquake somewhere is like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow. Its a sure bet.

But a 3.7 was not predicted. Nor was the location specified. A "Big" earthquake was predicted, somewhere in the world. Perhaps that will in fact happen. However a 3.7 is a curiosity at best. In a week, 99%+ of people will have forgotten it ever happened.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm thinking that this quake is not the one indicated by Fissionsurplus' husband's butt, she did say that he was thinking of a larger quake and this does not fall in to the category or large by any stretch.

That being said, this area is extraordinarily unlikely to have quakes of any size. In fact looking at the historic seismicity since 1900 shows this being thre only quake ever recorded in the area: (duh, "mag 7 or over, I feel stupid now)

Quite likely related to petroleum extraction (be it conventional drilling or fracking) as noted by the image below:

The red circled areas (of which I only circled a few, there are MANY more in the image) are most likely oil/gas wells, many more are in the image and the epicenter of the quake can be seen by scrolling to the right.
edit on 10-5-2012 by jadedANDcynical because:
to me...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I live in Lufkin, about 25 miles from Nacogdoches. I didn't feel anything. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying that I didn't feel it.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
first off Fission is IN TEXAS so i dunno.... i'm in texas and we don't get quakes. sure is weird she said there'd be a quake. his usual predictions are for big quakes but they are far away. this one was VERY CLOSE so it makes sense to me.

i think i felt it. i was on my sofa about to fall asleep at that time and i heard a rumble and i felt a vibration. i thought maybe there was a storm about to hit but nothing happened other than some drizzle.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stdscf12
www.ktre.com...

Wow we hardly ever have earthquakes. Things are getting a little too active for my liking.

Residents in Shelby County and Nacogdoches County got a shaking surprise Thursday morning when a 3.7 earthquake hit southwest of Timpson. The US Geological Society reports the earthquake hit around 10:15 a.m.

Here is some more info
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Ok...I am officially spooked. This guy in this thread predicted this earthquake two days ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
There was also another close by. 3.9 10km Wnw Of Prague, Oklahoma - 2012-05-10 14:14:31 - 35.538°N 96.782°W - 6.8 depth. I doubt that this is the earthquake that fission "predicted".

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
3.7 My god the EOW super quake is...

Mild

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

But but but bbbbbbbut

I thought people couldn't predict EQs???
I know cuz I was told so by the mental giants here on ATS.
I wonder how they will explain this one away?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and on a completely different note,

run for the hills!!!!!!!
I hope everyone is alright!!!

Ohhhh the humanity!!!
I wonder how much carnage this caused.
Orrr, why it is that EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED EQ gets its own thread!!!!

link
edit on 10-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

'Cause its 2012 and the plates must be spooling up for the big one,

Cuz Twenny Twelb.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stdscf12

I know that a 3.7 quake is a (big deal) to you all in Texas....and I understand...but try not to be worried....I live in Seattle and we had a 6.8 quake in 2001. I live in an apartment building that was built in 1917....in 1995 thankfully it was retro-fitted....and we got through the 6.8 quake just fine. Cheer up Texas..you are going to be ok!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join