It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Seen the Attention-Grabbing New TIME Cover?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The very word 'breastfeeding' causes such diverse opinions and beliefs that I stopped arguing about it years ago.

Im an advocate for it (rather than formula) IF you can (and shouldnt be made to feel uncomfortable if you cant). How old to stop? Erm...no idea on that. I do know 2 people who breastfed until their child was 5, that is something I wouldnt be comfortable with. maybe until the baby had teeth would be fine by me and my boobs

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I find these pictures and videos posted in this thread disgusting. Can a MOD please remove the pictures and videos depicting this act. I find it very sexual in nature and offensive to show such things on this website......

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Good Lord! DON'T blame Liberals for this!

If anything it's the product of the Cult Of Breeding pushed night and day by Conservatives.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zinky

Oh please, both sides are running this world into the ground. Left, right, don't matter. Both garbage.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74
reply to post by seeker11

You really shouldnt liken people to monkeys

When I am thinking about how best to raise my child in regards to nurturing & nutrution l have no problem looking to nature and those primates that are closest to us in terms of physiology or biology for clues on how to give proper sustenance to my child.

While we're busy arguing about the sexuality of breasts and why they shouldn't be allowed to feed our children past a certain age because we have sexualized the feeding organ, the primates are busy feeding their young until the age they need to for proper nutrition.

I wish we would stop seeing breasts as purely sexual and remember what they are specifically designed for in the first place, the feeding of our young.

I wonder if we were to see this picture on the front of a national geographic, and replace it with a jungle dwelling foreign child and mother in Africa, where the people also walk around half clothed anyways if the outrage would be so significant?

edit on 10-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Zinky

Oh please, both sides are running this world into the ground. Left, right, don't matter. Both garbage.

you make a great point. we're so distracted by which side is correct we fail to realize we're all wrong.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galcian420
I don't care that the woman is breast feeding her child as it is her right, but to put a photo like this on a magzine that will readily viewable at many locations is uncalled for.

Why is it uncalled for. There is nothing more natural than a mother feeding her child. It may seem uncalled for because we live in an over sexualised society. Celebrate life.. Dont be embarrassed by it.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
I find these pictures and videos posted in this thread disgusting. Can a MOD please remove the pictures and videos depicting this act. I find it very sexual in nature and offensive to show such things on this website......

Thats more reflective of your own sexuality. It is a mother feeding her child. What is the big deal. Nothing offensive about it.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
1. Breast-feeding the young is only considered "sexual" in societies where it is frowned upon; i.e., Europe and Anglophone nations.

2. Worldwide, many mother's breastfeed until about 30 months.

3. Most adult males in the US who express having a "breast fetish" were generally bottle-fed.

So much for well-adjusted.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Same

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Same

If you guys can only relate to boobs on a sexual level then you need some mental help. In many cultures on this planet other parts of the body are considered dirty to show, while breasts remain the beautiful, nurturing organs that they are. Come out of your caves and join the modern world.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

The boy is 3, which the picture actually makes him look older than he is.

3 is about the limit of normal breastfeeding.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The kid is too old to be breast feeding. If the child is old enough to be potty trained then he or she is old enough to be weened and drink from a cup. For the same reasons you teach a child to go to the bathroom on their own.

It would look pretty strange if all the kids in preschool still wore diapers and drank from baby bottles. There are plenty of ways of nurturing your child in a more age appropriate way this.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to give your child a loving home and doing your best to give them the attention they need. But really this is taking it to the extreme. I think breast feeding until they turn 2 yrs old is the suggested age.

www.babycenter.com...

Most breastfeeding advocates recommend gradual child-led weaning. Abrupt weaning can be traumatic for your baby and uncomfortable for you. Generally speaking, a baby won't choose to wean earlier than around age 1. Lack of interest in breastfeeding earlier than that may be a nursing strike — a temporary refusal to breastfeed — or a lull as the baby concentrates on developing a new skill that takes his interest away from eating for a while. Most babies younger than 9 months happily resume breastfeeding within a few days.

You may want to think ahead about how long you'll want to breastfeed your baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a new policy statement in 2005 that recommends breastfeeding exclusively for the first six months, then gradually introducing solid foods while continuing to breastfeed for at least six more months (to age 1) and after that for as long as Mom and baby both want to. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least two years.

Some interesting comments in a study of primates

www.kathydettwyler.org...

I came up with a number of predictions for when humans would "naturally" wean their children if they didn't have a lot of cultural rules about it. This interest stemmed from a reading of the cross-cultural literature on age at weaning, which shows that cultures have very different beliefs about when children should be weaned, from very early in the U.S. to very late in some places. One often hears that the worldwide average age of weaning is 4.2 years, but this figure is neither accurate nor meaningful.

A survey of 64 "traditional" studies done prior to the 1940s showed a median duration of breastfeeding of about 2.8 years, but with some societies breastfeeding for much shorter, and some for much longer. It is meaningless, statistically, to speak of an average age of weaning worldwide, as so many children never nurse at all, or their mothers give up in the first few days, or at six weeks when they go back to work.

It is true that there are still many societies in the world where children are routinely breastfed until the age of four or five years or older, and even in the United States, some children are nursed for this long and longer. In societies where children are allowed to nurse "as long as they want" they usually self-wean, with no arguments or emotional trauma, between 3 and 4 years of age. This interest also stemmed from the realization that other animals have "natural" ages of weaning, around 8 weeks for dogs, 8-12 months for horses, etc. Presumably these animals don't have cultural beliefs about when it would be appropriate.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
One more step in the continued pussification of our youth. Its no wonder that all of the little snowflakes are coming up with entitlement issues and a lack of survivability. These kids wouldn't have lasted a day in my neighborhood when I was a kid. These kids need to be told NO once in a while and have their asses slapped when they talk back. Time magazine is only giving these crappy parents validation for their ridiculous behavior.

Let me get your logic straight here, and the morons who starred you...

so breastfeeding in 2012 equals the pussification of youth. So what about the other 50-100,000 years of human toddler raising? and problably half the current population of the planet?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus
The kid is too old to be breast feeding. If the child is old enough to be potty trained then he or she is old enough to be weened and drink from a cup. For the same reasons you teach a child to go to the bathroom on their own.

Found this on WebMD.com, about potty training.

How long does it take to toilet train? A child is considered toilet-trained when he or she knows that it is time to go to the bathroom and is able to climb onto and use the toilet with little help. In a study of children who started training between 22 and 30 months of age, boys were fully trained at an average age of 38 months, while girls were trained slightly earlier, around 36 months.1

So, boys and girls are potty training at 36-38 months.

Do you advocate breastfeeding to that age, if the mother and child both want it? Your post kind of indicates that...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
No Place is safe anymore. Im just thankful I dont have to answer my kids questions in line at the store.

I say if you feel its wrong then turn the first issue in the rack backwards.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
No Place is safe anymore. Im just thankful I dont have to answer my kids questions in line at the store.

I say if you feel its wrong then turn the first issue in the rack backwards.

Uh, you don't plan on telling your kids about breast feeding? They are going to learn anyway.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

First for me, never starred Outcast before...
Good point Outcast!

I am thinking that kid is going to be messed up.

Worked with boy scouts a few years ago, and we had a couple boys that could not tie their shoes without Mommy. We would get them straightened out during a long weekend campout, but next time they were all dependent and disfunctional again after too much help from Mommy. That particular Mommy used to do their homework for them. My son was in a group project with one of them at school, the Mommy was concerned about how they were doing. I told her to let them do it, let them fail if needed. She ended up doing the project for them. And then she was all excited, wanted to know what grade SHE got. Wifey told teacher, no more group assignments with that kid. Teacher knew exactly who she was talking about without telling her the name.

Parents would be smart to involve their kids in activities that build independence and confidence in their own abilities. This looks like just the opposite.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

What does that have to do with breast feeding a child until the age of 3? Those things you mentioned can happen and does happen just as easily to a child who has been weaned or fed formula at an early age.
I'd like to see you produce some studies to show that children just turn into a blithering dependent mess if they are breast fed until the age of 3.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the more attention, cuddles, closeness and love I give my child the more independent he is. The less of all of the above I give him the more whiny dependent and totally difficult to handle he is.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
One more step in the continued pussification of our youth.

lol, I thought I was the only one that ever used that term.
while I agree, 3 years old is not that far out of line for breastfeeding. My own son, who's pretty smart, was weened fully, by himself, by 18 months old though. I do have a friend with some children that breastfed that long- she has 5- but only a couple of them were interested at that age.

What's going to happen to this kid when he is grown and that picture gets shown around to his potential girl friends or mates? lol Talk about embarrassing.....I imagine when he is in highschool, if one of the kids finds out about it, he's going to have a very hard day.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join