It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this strange 6000 year old artifact?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It is without a doubt some sort of clasp from the Roman period, I think the Daily Mail using the term "caveman" is putting people off.

So yeah, jewellery or to hold a toga together.

EDIT:

This is exactly what it is, just a different design:

edit on 10/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

its device to make stright lines with
it looks to me like the pin end was to be stationary and the blade end was used for cutting or scratching stright lines when it is pulled togather thats my educated guess thats the only thing that makes sence to me
edit on 10-5-2012 by stealthmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

how could it be proven that it was a gay caveman? How can anyone bee sure? What gave it away? Did he have gay pictographs on the wall? I could imagine he may have been rapes before or after dyin, as some would suggest we were savages back then... But to say straight gay... ????? Thats odd.. And are we to assume the tool was a gay tool? Who cares what it is.. How do they know he was gay?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A metal object found in the stone age, only one explanation for this..

ALIENS!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Nice one! Clever...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
Gay caveman???
How can they tell.

They where found with pink clubs and wearing mankini's....

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It is for sure not from the time period as the dig in the article.
I agree that it looks like a cloak pin. But it is certainly not as old as they say.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Gay caveman, leather working tool, wonder if he made the first pair of leather chaps with the ass cut out!

Caveman, there's no need to feel down.
I said, Caveman, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, Caveman, 'cause you're in a new cave
There's no need to be unhappy.

Caveman, there's a place you can go.
I said, Caveman, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

You can get yourself cleaned, you can have a good meal,
You can do whatever you feel ...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
It is without a doubt some sort of clasp from the Roman period, I think the Daily Mail using the term "caveman" is putting people off.

So yeah, jewellery or to hold a toga together.

EDIT:

This is exactly what it is, just a different design:

edit on 10/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

You beat me to it!
I agree on the Roman broach

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It's a brooch...I think that they are wrong about the age of the artifact.
Look at the picture below of a 1st century Roman brooch. They are very similar in design.
I would guess that this is somewhere around 1st century, and most likely Roman as well.

Are they wrong about the age of the skeleton and the other artifacts too?

www.ancienttouch.com...

ROMAN BRONZE FIBULA
early I c. A.D.
An inscribed Aucissa brooch, with a rib in sunk relief along the highly arched bow center, bordered with wide grooves. The word AVCISSA is stamped in relief above the iron axis bar, terminated by bronze knobs. 2"x 1.1" (51mm x 2.8mm).
For the same fibula see R. Hattatt “Ancient Brooches and Other Artefacts”, Oxford, 1989, cat # 1491.

Here's the artifact in question to compare:

edit on 10-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The problem with the photo is there is no size reference. A simple ruler laid along side the item would have been nice.

Assuming the item is small, possibly it is a letter opener.

However if it were in the possessions of a gay man, possibly a device for applying sequins

Honestly I don't know but a hand held all (sp?) mentioned earlier that was used to stitch shoes was a good answer.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have a problem with the 'brooch' explanation.
The part that is not the pin looks like it has a cutting edge incorporated into it. Not exactly what one would want in a brooch.
If the pin was driven into a wooden handle, I can see it being a razor... a straight razor. The handle would fold up to the blade and cover it to protect the blade from being dulled and the owner from being cut when it was not in use.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by isyeye

It's a brooch...

That answers two questions:
"What is it?"
And
"How do they know he was gay?"

Harte
edit on 5/10/2012 by Harte because: of fat fingers

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Such silly hype by truely questionable sources.

Of course it is a fibula manufactured both by the greeks and romans for use in pining loose garments such as togas at the neckline. A very common device used by ancients. I have a couple in my collection of ancient artifacts. They are so common that their price range is $50-$1000 or so depending on condition and intricate design.

One similar to that shown by the OP can be had from well known dealer Harlan Berk, Inc for $225 See...

www.hjbltd.com...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Scientists speak out to discredit "gay caveman"

The man's skeleton was found placed on its left side with the head facing west -- traditionally the position in which females in the culture were buried. Around the remains were items also typically associated with female burials instead of weapons normally found in male graves from that time period. Two other conventional male and female graves were found at the same site.

But Hawks and others say the news media misinterpreted the findings.

First, cavemen lived about 30,000 to 20,000 years ago. The remains found last week were from the Neolithic Age, about 5,000 years ago, Hawks told CNN.

LOL for anyone to take the whole "gay caveman" thing seriously is beyond me. For starters, the people calling it gay are the same people calling it a caveman, which it obviously isn't.

Secondly, and this is just a guess, but maybe the archeologists are feeding the tabloids a bunch of baloney. Maybe this "caveman" which remember, isn't a caveman at all, isn't even a MAN. Buried like a female, with traditional female burial artifacts....hmmm. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.......

The object is a cloak brooch.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey

almost fell out of my chair,perhaps stone age version of donnatella versace,only he presumably still had the penis he was born with. cloak pin seems most likely.
edit on 10-5-2012 by pushmepullu because: laughing so hard

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey

awsome post

that must have looked so cool:
rolling up to the temple all dressed in leathers to drink some beer and wine and watch the priestesess do some fertility rites...going to watch the linen hit the floor
parking the donkey by the hog trough....

hyroglyphic promo of dude looks like a lady smilin out from the grime on the door....
edit on 10-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The hinged pin and the intricate workmanship makes me think that this is a brooch of some kind. There's no indication of size. What would be more interesting (and I haven't looked at the source yet) is whether or not the object is commensurate with the other evidence from the location where it was found or whether it is an 'oopart'

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
There is no way there can be anything of that nature from that period. Neolithic?!? More like a passing farmer or soldier from a later era dropped the item in that area. Metal would have completely disolved away with little or no trace of its original shape, much less with the craftsmanship this item shows. Especially Iron, which was not even discovered it that era. So much wrong with this article its almost a joke unto itself. Have fun!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewerBeing
A metal object found in the stone age, only one explanation for this..

ALIENS!

Hokum. I think it's quite obvious that this is the tool God used
when he created the Universe 6,000 years ago.

All joking aside, it looks like a brooch or cloak pin of some sort.

edit on 10-5-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join