It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing, X-Ray probe of Antikythera Mechanism (Video)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
People read way to much into the mechanism. Although it is a fantastic pieces of workmanship, its development requires nothing more than an understanding of ratios and tools no more complex ygM a compass, straightedge and a file.
Oh and a lot of patience and a couple thousand years of celestial observations.
Clearly by the time the mechanism was made the Greeks had mechanical calendars, driven by water power, there were several, that we know of in the hellestenic world.
Cicero, the Roman , even writes about a mechanism like the antikythera device. And the Romans used a geared device for an odometer to place "mile markers" as they constructed roads.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
reply to post by Wolfenz

Most of the animals mentioned would have been in Europe as well. The out-of-Africa for human species, is full of confusion in ideas, that's not to say it's ultimately correct, just that cave drawings are not a good indicator because they are too young, add that to what we describe as man, with all the unknowns in that area.

Those Painting are in France in a cave Showing Bison Water Buffalo Lions Hyenas Rhinos In France?

I say the One that Painted them Either came from or Visited Africa of where those Animals Place of Origin

Tho that Lion Man was Found in Germany ... in which is next to France ..

The Cave of Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc
www.culture.gouv.fr...

Visit the Cave
www.culture.gouv.fr...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I would Love to Know the Place of Origin of the Antikythera Mechanism

It has Greek Writing on it ... Etched ... But were the Greeks the Original Holders !! of this Device ?

Now Here is a BIG BIG!!! Question !

If the Device is Accurate is a Navigational Astronomical Level .....

Ya think that they Were Able to Voyage to the New World!! as in North America South America ?
thinking in those Days People thought the World was Flat... a handful that didn't

Remember the Piri Reis Map !

Piri Reis map
en.wikipedia.org...

Hell it may be one of the Tool's that Help mapped out those Long ago Maps ...

Ancient Mechanism Found – Possibly Used for Navigation, Mapmaking

One scientist thinks the device might have been used for navigation at sea or even mapmaking.

www.thegeofactor.com...

Understanding An Ancient Greek Computer
February 11, 2009 5:40 PM

We will not yet be able to answer the question of what the mechanism was for, although now we know what the mechanism did," Edmunds said. His fellow team member Xenophon Moussas, an associate professor of space physics at Athens University, speculated that the device could have been used for navigation at sea or for mapmaking.

The Antikythera device was probably made on the island of Rhodes, which had a long tradition in astronomy and applied mechanics

The sunken ship, thought to have been carrying plunder from Roman-conquered Greece to Rome, is believed to have sailed from Rhodes.

www.cbsnews.com...

And I Highly Doubt it that it was the First of its Kind !!! Its Too Complex to be

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Ah you beat me to posting this! How awesome eh. I don't know if I'd pin this on 'ancient aliens', but fascinating nontheless. Our ancestors were more intelligent than we give credit for though.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

i am not questioning your representation of the Hopi beliefs, the 4rd sun but i wonder if there is information out there that supports that these worlds were as advanced as we are supposed to be? Can"t it be that they simply say there were 4 suns before ?i would be grateful if you could elaborate,
edit on 11-5-2012 by NeverSleepingEyes because: corrected some errors

LINK

I did a quick scan and the fourth world/fourth sun is mentioned in the above link. If there is "evidence" of these past civilizations I am quite sure it hidden away from public view. If it is our lot as a species to achieve advanced technology only destroy ourselves, it would not bode well for the stock markets or the culture of consumerism. So, I only speculate based on what the Hopi Indians say, but it would seem that there is some support for this theory in places like India where they have found a rather uniform layer of radiation down about 50 to 80 feet that covers the area of a small city. Who knows...

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join