It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing, X-Ray probe of Antikythera Mechanism (Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

The Hopi call this world the fourth sun (fourth world) meaning that there have been three other worlds, possibly civilizations before us, just as advanced as we are today. What if the technology was handed down over vast amounts of time, or what if the device somehow survived the previous apocalypse. So many archaeological artifacts and finds are simply beyond explanation, unless our civilization is predated by another equally advanced civilization.

Think about it, when you look at the construction of the Antikythera Machine, it looks like a kit that might have been made that would be constructed by pre-teens or teens. The only reason we look at it and call it advanced due to it's age, is because we don't know our own history, it's been hidden from us. But I am quite sure there are people laughing that know the truth, people in what are considered to be high stations in life.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
another nice little video on this..

link.brightcove.com... 4706701001
edit on 11-5-2012 by fatpastyhead because: (no reason given)

link.brightcove.com...
edit on 11-5-2012 by fatpastyhead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Makes me think they understand the workings of the universe or at least the laws of it. Each gear represents a planet in galaxy rotating in unison with each other's gravitational pull to replicate specific paths of stars. Then again, It could be just a glorified Casio.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

That thing has always sparked my curiosity and have theories of what it could be.

1.Could have been a ancient black box recorder.
2.A astronomical device? still think on that one.
3. A possible time travel key or key it's self to power the star gate
4. A watch

27 gears all packed together almost touching one another is alien of that time, Which leads to another theory,

edit on 10-5-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

1) Why do you think that and why would they need it and how would it record and onto what

2) Possible
3)
clockwork stargate
4) Clock most likely its a bit big for a watch!

The title of the BBC program the Two Thousand Year Old Clock!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Thanks OP for this X-ray View

ive been having great interest of the Antikythera Mechanism for years

I have Hi Def Quality Photos of the Pieces

There were Rumors of Archimedes that he may of built it not sure if the Timeline is right as the Carbon dating
show the Surroundings It Could be Thousand of Years Older as the Greek Writing that on it is Pretty Much Hand Etched like a Graffiti Design Regardless Who Ever Made it as it was Used for Navigation with the Stars a Almanac ,, Astronomy Tool ... It still Amazes Met the Complexity of it ! what Else did they have for great Machines ...& Great Minds Construction of Gears centuries before the First Successful working mechanical Geared Clock

as the saying Goes its like finding a Modern Jet Fighter before the Wright Brothers ever Flew at Kitty hawk

Jut one of the Great Mysteries Our Ancients Knew .... that we Lost and rediscovered & Renewed just like the Site of Puma Punku that Still a Mystery of who build it..

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Radio-carbon C14 dating test need...

What if this mechanism is much older than thousands of years?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I watched a program on this last night...breathtaking how complex this machine actually was! I believe the collective of experts who studied it worked out it was even used to work out when eclipses were to take place. It really does go to show how much we underestimate the capabilities of the ancients. One of the final comments on the program was something about how, before the Romans came along and took over everything, the Greeks were so close to the knowledge and understanding we have now...and that was what, 2000 years ago?! Makes you think!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Everyone is underestimating the capacity of the human mind, imo there was no distractions back then as far as media as we deal with today. How can anyone say that they couldnt make it without growing up in the conditions that the inventor did us humans can do lots more then given credit for. Awesome piece hands down.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

S&F
The Antikythera Mechanism has been studied and x-rayed for decades. What makes this study special is the new imaging technology:

Three dimensional X-ray microfocus computed tomography: Developed by X-Tek Systems and similar to medical CAT scans, it allowed 3D images of the fragments to be reconstructed. Crucial for reading text hidden by centuries of corrosion

Digital optical imaging using polynomial texture mapping: Developed by Hewlett Packard, a new method for increasing the photorealism of surface textures in digital pictures. Revealed faint surface details.

Digitised conventional film photography: High-quality images allowed the fragments to be studied without being handled.

The remains of the device were first recognized in 1902 when archaeologist Valerios Stais noticed a heavily corroded gear wheel amongst artifacts recovered by sponge divers from a sunken Roman cargo ship.

A further 81 fragments have since been found containing a total of 30 hand-cut bronze gears. The largest fragment has 27 cogs. It is considered an analogue computer.

May have been built around 100 – 150 BC, more than a 1,000 years before European clocks would use interlocking gears.

There had been a single, centrally placed dial on the front plate that showed the Greek zodiac and an Egyptian calendar on concentric scales.

The results, published in the journal Nature, show it could have been used to predict solar and lunar eclipses.

"Inscriptions mention the word 'Venus' and the word 'stationary' which would tend to suggest that it was looking at retrogressions of planets," said Professor Edmunds.

"There is a feature on the front plate that could have made provision for a bearing with a spindle, that carried motion up to a mechanism used to model the planets of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn as well," he told the BBC News website.

"That's how I see it and my reconstruction shows it works well."

(Condensed from the BBC article, “Moon Computer”.)

I think we have lost so much of our history. I believe this was a human invention, and ancient human civilization was much more sophisticated than the academics credit.

I most certainly believe in ancient aliens, but it’s not necessary to use them to explain everything. Besides if this had been ET tech, it would have been even more advanced.

I do not get “BBC Four” and BBC America (which I do get) does not carry this program.

If you get National Geographic (I do not), they have aired a program called “Star Clock BC”.

I thank the people who have provided videos on the Antikythera – I will watch them when I have more time.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Hi Ted and thanks for sharing.

What really caught my attentions in the video is what the man is sayin near the end of it:

"it rewrites the history of technology.Things were going on in 2nd century BC Greece,that we have no idea about them"

So what conspiracy theorists were saying for many years about ancient technology,the mainstream scientist start just now to aknowledge them.It's a good start and hopefully more things will come out in the public or finally archeologists and other scientists will look at ancient artifacts from a different point of view.

S+F

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
How did they draw such detailed conclusions from half of a third of the machine??

Seems like quite a bit of artistic license was used in the reconstruction. From all I can see there was no facade only the gears. So how do they know what it would have looked like?

Kind of like what dinosaur skin colour or muscle mass would look like. Its artistic license.

Its still impressive for the time dont get me wrong. But I want the facts not the fantasy. I have sci fi for that.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdaptationNation
The question remains...

Can we rebuild it?

Replicas have been made... There is also a free app for Android users

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
There was a 1hr special on this on TV in the UK last night explaining all about it and yes it is quite easy for the experts to rebuild. It is genius but it's not mysterious or anything like that. It was just a device used to predict certain things like sun and moon eclipses and be able to track the orbit of the planets. No mystery here at all just fascination at what they were able to do

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
so this thing has been around and studied for a while now, so with all the data we have on it can't we get someone to built a new one? so we can see it in working order and perhaps get an idea what it was used for that way?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread, I will have to watch the various videos later, but I think it's fairly well proven to be an astronomical computer, as other posters have noted. What I find most interesting is that it was found in the area most commonly linked with the possible location of atlantis, thought to have possibly been obliterated by the last major eruption of santorini volcano about 3500 years ago.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hublot Antikythera watch to be auctioned

wordlesstech.com...

edit on 11-5-2012 by captainnotsoobvious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rayuki
so this thing has been around and studied for a while now, so with all the data we have on it can't we get someone to built a new one? so we can see it in working order and perhaps get an idea what it was used for that way?

try reading replies sometimes, it has been rebuilt and is easy for the experts to remake, it's just a series of cogs. They know how it worked and what it was used for.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Great post OP!

I have been amazed at this device since first hearing about it a few years ago. The mystery for me is how, without modern machining, the ancient(s) that made this were able to get the teeth of the gears so absolutely precise.

Truly amazing what humans are capable of when there aren't the distractions we have today. Where there's a will there's a way!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Probing the secrets of the Antikythera Mechanism

www.bbc.co.uk...
^Video can be found on link above^

The secrets of one of the most remarkable technological finds from Ancient Greece have been probed for the first time using powerful X-ray imaging equipment, specially shipped to Athens. The Antikythera Mechanism as it is known, is regarded as the world's oldest "computer" and is thought to have been used to predict solar and lunar eclipses and record dates of the ancient Olympiad. Its remains were recovered from a Roman shipwreck off the southern coast of Greece in 1901.

I have always been interested been interested in the Antikythera Mechanism and this video has astounded me, It shows in remarkable detail the different layers of complex cog systems used in the Mechanism through the use of X-ray, Something that just had to be shared with ATS

I find it interesting that some people (not you) pick and choose when to call MSM a bunch of liars and when to post the stories as gospel.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

That thing has always sparked my curiosity and have theories of what it could be.

1.Could have been a ancient black box recorder.
2.A astronomical device? still think on that one.
3. A possible time travel key or key it's self to power the star gate
4. A watch

27 gears all packed together almost touching one another is alien of that time, Which leads to another theory,

edit on 10-5-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

Time travel key? Why jump to such an extreme speculation?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join