It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing, X-Ray probe of Antikythera Mechanism (Video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Probing the secrets of the Antikythera Mechanism

www.bbc.co.uk...
^Video can be found on link above^

The secrets of one of the most remarkable technological finds from Ancient Greece have been probed for the first time using powerful X-ray imaging equipment, specially shipped to Athens. The Antikythera Mechanism as it is known, is regarded as the world's oldest "computer" and is thought to have been used to predict solar and lunar eclipses and record dates of the ancient Olympiad. Its remains were recovered from a Roman shipwreck off the southern coast of Greece in 1901.

I have always been interested been interested in the Antikythera Mechanism and this video has astounded me, It shows in remarkable detail the different layers of complex cog systems used in the Mechanism through the use of X-ray, Something that just had to be shared with ATS

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

That thing has always sparked my curiosity and have theories of what it could be.

1.Could have been a ancient black box recorder.
2.A astronomical device? still think on that one.
3. A possible time travel key or key it's self to power the star gate
4. A watch

27 gears all packed together almost touching one another is alien of that time, Which leads to another theory,

edit on 10-5-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
AMAZING!!!!

Great find OP... S&F!

This will re-write history about the Greeks. They were obviously far more advanced than we thought, and this video is a good testament to it.

Thanks for this.... I'll be waiting for the documentary that is soon to follow.

~Namaste

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
if only we could discover who built it!!!!!!!!! the genius it would have taken back then, just wow!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

The way i see it is that someone doesn't just come up with such a complex cog system just like that, There must have been others who had at least experimented with such cog systems before this mechanism could have been made

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
heres a good video
this has always been one of my favourite discoveries

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

There is good evidence it was made by Archimedes....

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

One or two suggestions arise about who may have built it here:

Consensus among scholars is that the mechanism itself was made in the Greek-speaking world. All the instructions of the mechanism are written in Koine Greek.[7] One hypothesis is that the device was constructed at an academy founded by the Stoic philosopher Posidonius on the Greek island of Rhodes, which at the time was known as a center of astronomy and mechanical engineering, and that perhaps the astronomer Hipparchus was the engineer who designed it since it contains a lunar mechanism which uses Hipparchus's theory for the motion of the Moon. However, the most recent findings of The Antikythera Mechanism Research Project, as published in the July 31, 2008, edition of Nature alternatively suggest that the concept for the mechanism originated in the colonies of Corinth, which might imply a connection with Archimedes.
en.wikipedia.org...

Edit:

edit on 10-5-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

edit on 10-5-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The question remains...

Can we rebuild it?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
been probed for the first time using powerful X-ray imaging equipment

Cant anybody tell the truth anymore?

This mechanism has been continually probed using x-rays many times for many decades now.

Even the wikipedia entry mentions x-ray testing going back as far as 1971.
Even the testing shown in that video isnt even fantasically new just revealed-for-the-first-time stuff, because this particular team started x-raying it back in 2005, first publishing results in 2006.

Why do the media have to lie to everyone?
Why do fools have to believe what they say?

edit on 10-5-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I've got to agree to be honest but the main focus here is the sheer detail in which the mechanism can now be probed, In all my time looking through YouTube videos of similar topic have i ever found such a detailed and precise 3D representation of the mechanism itself.

I look forward to the documentary to be honest considering it will offer great insight into the workings of this device, It's a fascinating contraption that deserves as many studies as it gets

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Thank you greatly for adding that any and every insight is much appreciated

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What a great mystery!

I'll be finding out later tonight if this is the full video from which that excerpt was taken.

Oh! Looks like I got ninja'd! Someone else found it! I'll be watching both then.

edit on 10-5-2012 by MzMorbid because: porcupines.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It seems to me that the type of knowledge needed to devise something like this contraption is not necessarily a type of knowledge one would usually associate with technical or mechanical genius...I think that whoever designed this invention was someone with extremely great spatial awareness and calculation abilities. Like a modern chess player, or a handful of pre-modern ones, who can work out taxing visualizations in their mind. To devise this mechanism would not require visualizing where the pieces would be, but the gears...

But a new dynamic is added when you consider a chess player has only to calculate in 2 dimensions, as opposed to 3 for whoever designed this device. That is much more difficult. So it did take a genius, but not necessarily a great mathematician, or other "scientific" genius. Does that make sense? This doesn't mean the person wasn't skilled in other areas, but that he was definitely skilled in spatial reasoning and visualization. He/they were able to keep track of the gears in their mind, visualizing how they would turn and affect other gears, in 3 dimensions. Difficult.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

In my mind anyone with such a skill would be nothing less than a genius, i took a look inside my pocket watch the other the day that i was bought for my 18th birthday, I could not comprehend the mechanism it used yet alone understand it, the pure skill to create such a device astounds me and the fact that somebody so long ago had the knowledge to create a device like the Antikythera mechanism so long ago astounds me even more

edit on 10/5/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

reply to post by intrptr

Good choice for a thread. Anyone who knows anything about mechanics surely is in awe of it. Earliest clocks appeared in 15th century medieval Europe (gear mechanisms). Some were pretty strange from our point of view:

One in Prague...
...15th century. It has three main components, the astronomical dial which represents the position of the Sun and Moon, a calendar dial which stands for the months and “The Walk of the Apostles” which shows a procession of the Apostles on an hourly basis.

The 8 figures around the clock where added later. On the main dial are 4 animated figures: Vanity admiring himself in the mirror, Avarice waving a bag of money, Death ringing the bell and a Turk shaking his head.

Around the calender dial are 4 figures which are not animated. They are a chronicler, an angel, an astronomer and a philosopher.

We go

Before about the 16th century the slate goes blank as it were. Then go back all the way to the "mechanism". Thousands of years old. Did you notice it doesn't mark our notion of time? Instead it tracks the motion of the heavens, surely unknown to many at that time. Besides knowing when to plant and harvest, which is discernible with shadows, and maybe the Zodiac, the intricacies of the "mechanism" are more complex than "necessary"...

I would venture this opinion. The only thing I can see that would explain such a detailed computer for the motion of the heavens would be (here goes... wait for it)...

... an "extraterrestrial" stuck here like (oh God) E.T. Face Palm, Face Palm. But computer like that would be needed to track the planets to discern when a ship might return to earth and the being would have to figure out when that would be. Like Nasa uses computers to figure out launch windows and gravity assists from other planets in the solar system, any returning vessel would need to use similar trajectories to arrive at earth orbit. Maybe our mysterious inventor missed his boat and needed to invent such a device to figure out when and where to meet the "mother ship" when it came back.

The weird thing is it was found on a sunken vessel at the bottom of the sea. Maybe our stranded "visitor" found out where to be and when he "beamed up" his vessel sunk the ship so no witnesses. He left the "thingy" behind to tease us. I can't believe I am saying this. No proof really, just a good story line.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

reply to post by intrptr

Good choice for a thread. Anyone who knows anything about mechanics surely is in awe of it. Earliest clocks appeared in 15th century medieval Europe (gear mechanisms). Some were pretty strange from our point of view:

One in Prague...
...15th century. It has three main components, the astronomical dial which represents the position of the Sun and Moon, a calendar dial which stands for the months and “The Walk of the Apostles” which shows a procession of the Apostles on an hourly basis.

The 8 figures around the clock where added later. On the main dial are 4 animated figures: Vanity admiring himself in the mirror, Avarice waving a bag of money, Death ringing the bell and a Turk shaking his head.

Around the calender dial are 4 figures which are not animated. They are a chronicler, an angel, an astronomer and a philosopher.

We go

Before about the 16th century the slate goes blank as it were. Then go back all the way to the "mechanism". Thousands of years old. Did you notice it doesn't mark our notion of time? Instead it tracks the motion of the heavens, surely unknown to many at that time. Besides knowing when to plant and harvest, which is discernible with shadows, and maybe the Zodiac, the intricacies of the "mechanism" are more complex than "necessary"...

I would venture this opinion. The only thing I can see that would explain such a detailed computer for the motion of the heavens would be (here goes... wait for it)...

... an "extraterrestrial" stuck here like (oh God) E.T. Face Palm, Face Palm. But computer like that would be needed to track the planets to discern when a ship might return to earth and the being would have to figure out when that would be. Like Nasa uses computers to figure out launch windows and gravity assists from other planets in the solar system, any returning vessel would need to use similar trajectories to arrive at earth orbit. Maybe our mysterious inventor missed his boat and needed to invent such a device to figure out when and where to meet the "mother ship" when it came back.

The weird thing is it was found on a sunken vessel at the bottom of the sea. Maybe our stranded "visitor" found out where to be and when he "beamed up" his vessel sunk the ship so no witnesses. He left the "thingy" behind to tease us. I can't believe I am saying this. No proof really, just a good story line.

I like it..

Makes good sense to me..

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
People underestimate the intelligence of the Greeks. The Indians, who were no dummies themselves, marveled at Greek scientific intellect, even describing a flying machine that Greeks in Northern India had built.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Thank you for the nod. Has any one gone back to the wreck site and try to find the "beacon"?
It's sure to be there, although we may not recognize it in a decayed form.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Thanks for sharing, good find.

Together with the bird artifact that was used as a model to create remote-control planes in Ancient Aliens it would be good to see further discoveries and revelations on advanced technology from antiquity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join