It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California may ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
California may ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- A first-of-its-kind ban on a controversial form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay people straight is speeding through the California statehouse.

Supporters say the legislation, which passed its final Senate committee Tuesday, is necessary because such treatments are ineffective and harmful. "This therapy can be dangerous," said the bill's author Sen. Ted Lieu. The Torrance Democrat added the treatments can "cause extreme depression and guilt" that sometimes leads to suicide.

Conservative religious groups emphatically reject that view of sexual orientation therapy and say the ban would interfere with parents' rights to seek appropriate psychological care for their children.

More back and forth at the site.
Parental rights vs kid rights vs psychology divided on the issue.

Another quote from the article -

David Pickup, who is registered with the California Board of Psychology, said a ban would prevent people from recovering from trauma of sexual abuse. "Any therapist worth his salt knows that homosexual feelings commonly occur in victims as a result of abuses," he said. "I ought to know because I was one of those boys."

Okay .. I get that. Understandable. Those folks definately need help.
But what about those born gay? Wouldn't 'conversion' therapy hurt more than help?

Anyways ... here ya' go ATS .. for your consideration ...
California may ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Don't gays have the highest rate of suicide in the first place?

So let's ban treatment, because it might cause suicide?

But hey, it's California.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Of course. Ban the therapy that should be mandatory. Why not? This is bizzarro world after all. When I came here in 2000 I immediately noticed how everything that was good in my dimension was evil here. Well, not everything, but enough to really stand out. Here in this reality, the least logical course of action is always followed.

There are many days I so wish I could find out how I got here and then find a way to get back to where I came from. I miss things making sense. I really do. These alternate realities suck so badly.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hold the phone a minute.

So, this "law" that already exists actually recognizes that being "gay" is a psychiatric disorder ?

With all the controversy, I though being gay was not unusual and should be universally accepted

new topics

top topics

join