It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously! I'm about to snap!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrksstudios
I really want to move to Austin.

I went to UofT in Austin. Great Place. It's really beautiful. Go for it. It can't be any worse than what you are doing now.

Des

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I so wanted to move to Austin after grad. But it didn't work out. You like it there?

Austin is the city of cities IMO. I love it here. I've lived in Baton Rouge much of my life and I find Austin to be 1000X more fun than any city i've been in. There is something to do everywhere, every night. Streets get blocked off downtown most nights due to the amount of people on the streets walking between the hundreds of bars, clubs, tatoo shops, food shops and everything else going on. Just about every other weekend is some sort of festival or activity, live bands every night, damn near everywhere and every kind of music you could want to listen to.

Cost of living isnt bad here, honestly, which I find kinda odd. People are very friendly. WOMEN are in abundance here, just wow texas.... is it really the chicken????

Any given night that I look for a particular band playing, there are usually 3+ bands in any place, but often you will find multiple bands playing in one bar. Outside at the entrance, inside on the stage and on the huge patio in the back, or on the 1st floor, 2nd floor and 3rd floor

I'll say again... Austin is grand. always something fun to do here. That was just the music scene. I have not touched upon the majorities. I've lived here a year now and I dont think I want to ever leave. lol

This comming from a chum in his late 30s.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

My Ba's

Media Art & Animation - The Art Institute

Digital Entertainment & Game Design - Itt Tech

You should be looking for work in Baton Rouge, LA, bro. Austin has some work here for various types of jobs that could use your skills, but none of them for game design that i know of. That was also one of my majors as well.. Actually 3d animation/graphics design along with game design, but at the time, game design was a brand new course with nothing to support it. So I went back to graphics design.

Baton Rouge is constantly building onto their movie and game studios there. It's also a nice place. No where near as expensive as cali.

Good luck! But to get what you want, like many and like myself, you might have to move, bro. Thats just how it is.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Great point. But how do you move when your in debt and have no money? I would love to go somewhere else. I bet if i was outta cali it would be way easier.

Your programming an app too?

Alright then Google for vWorker and oDesk. Maybe you can get a little freelance work too.

I know it can be tough, but you did the Military you can figure this out.

Save that $ and # the student loans for now. Especially finish and market your app maybe even two. Hop a bus for a city with some primo opportunities and pound the pavement (Physically go into the places) show off that resume and your apps. You'll come out on top, maybe even end up with another opportunity.

Another good thing to look at might SXSW interactive and other techy events like that. Just go hang out, have fun, and talk to everyone. You don't even have get a ticket, sometimes you can just hang out outside. Networking can be key sometimes.

Sometimes you have to MAKE your opportunities, you know find the back door, screw the locked main door. Adapt and overcome, bro.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Good the see another Arty boy. King of Battle. 13F here. You gun bunnies saved my [snip] more than once.
edit on 10-5-2012 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

This is my first reply in over three years of watching this website. Maybe the second, but I'm not really counting... I am posting this because I feel I owe a bit of wisdom for humans that are hurting in this time. I see it more and more so I'll just say it. Stop asking others to help with what you in your heart feel is the right thing to do. A choice is 50/50. but the wise man will come out ahead in no matter the situation because they look at the outcome. Then ask yourself how many did you hurt along your path? If not for ATS and their "fatherly" ridicules rule of 20 comments before a post I would have offered a lot more to this site, including what most of you will eventually find out on your own, when your ready.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

This world if F**KEN BULL#! Might be time to move on. lol

Do something for everybody before you move on?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

Awesome advice. Star for you.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It's so not worth it to do anything illegal. It almost always ends up costing you more in the long run. I have started a thread, which is linked at the bottom of my posts, to discuss ways to make money on your own in this economy. I personally listed 10+ ways to make some money, and some other posters have also contributed ideas. Please check it out. Even if you don't use an idea I present, you could get your own light bulb idea!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I agree, move to where there is demand... and don't just apply to jobs you Want. You gotta start at the bottom, show your worth, and then you'll move up. Doesn't matter.. the best way to get a job is to Have One Already.. Stick it out for a year or two, then start applying and jump.

Good luck with you Android app. Let us know what it is, I wouldn't mind testing it out.

Good luck!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

My Ba's

Media Art & Animation - The Art Institute

Digital Entertainment & Game Design - Itt Tech

Sucker field most people don't know this its like graduating in Nintendo

Digital Entertainment & Game Design =same thing both Itt tech and the art institute rely heavily on these fields that don't have many job openings. You need to pick a field that nobody wants to do like be a programmer C++ then you need to get all and i mean all the certification on top of the degree and while doing that intern for 2 years in your 2nd year of college so when you finish you have 2 years experience.

I'm sorry you got swindled out of your money I would have just gone for a masters after the first B.A then just became a professor which you can still do. Im not telling you what to do but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

So here's the deal, I'm 29, A military vet. I have 2 BA degrees and since grad, 2 years ago. I have still yet to find work. So my question is. When your backed into a corner. How much can a person take before they snap and go into the illegal market. I mean really, i'm trained for much more then robbin fools. But its starting to look pretty good so i can keep food on the table and pay my student loans. Whats all your opinions? Is it time to FSU?

I was once told by an individual "It does not matter what you decide to do, as long as you conduct yourself in a professional manner when doing it, being professional is what will make you successful."

My advice is, whatever you choose, if it is not what you want for yourself in the long term, before jumping into anything with a burnt rubber haircut, determine the value in its potential of exploit, do not get greedy then get in get what you need and get out. Exploit for necessity and forget the excess. Always weigh the risk versus the reward.**

** This advice was granted without evaluation and/or the approval of interpol, nor any national, state or local law enforcement agencies and is offered solely for educational and/or entertainment purposes. Accepting this advice does not guarantee success or security, whether assumed financially or other, in personal life matters of any type or form. Individual results will vary. As was stated in the advice, always weigh the risk versus the rewards, especially when considering this advice.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ya you are all right. I just needed to vent. Great advice everyone and thank you for it. I'm gonna try to get my game finished up and see how it does on the android platform. Fingers crossed.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

you are a man now, you dont need to ask boys for advice

you do what you have to do and you will only answer to yourself for it.

Follow the 2nd General Order:
I will obey my special orders and perform all my duties in a military manner.

they pertain to civilian life as well

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

2 mistakes in general.

1. Bring our troops home. (To what? We didnt tell them that soldiers or not...THERE ARE NO JOBS) Staying IN the military is theri best logical bet for continued employment.

2. Get a degree in something. (A friend has a degree in Literature) LITERATURE? What company employs a former soldier who know Yeats?

So, sir. One, thank you for your service to our country, and good luck to you. Perhaps you could re-enlist? You'd have a lifetime career and paycheck with benefits...whereas out in the real world here...they seem not to exist.

Good luck

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yeah I am in the same situation. I graduated with a bachelor's degree two years ago in psychology, and I got a math and computer science minor. I haven't been able to find work. It is the same with tons of my friends, some of whom are going homeless.

The ones that are able to find work are mostly working low-wage jobs. It's a change in the times.

I suggest taking this opportunity to form a radical shift in your world-view. That's what I was forced to do. It has caused me to fly in the face of traditional American ways, owning few possessions, not working, and being f#cking happy about it. There are plenty of other things to focus my time on, like friends, hobbies, my own creative initiatives such as writing, music and a business... exploring the supernatural...

I plan on getting an apartment with a friend of mine for a while, obtaining a mediocre job and spending my free time gaming, listening to music, watching anime and TV shows, rocking out with my band, writing a book, and doing a bunch of other stuff. It should cost less than $1000 a month to live a great lifestyle. The only thing holding you back is your per-conceived notions of what success is. Now is your chance to f#ck the system. Take it.
edit on 10-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I'll try out your game. When it's done, post a link about it on ATS.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

True that. Cali sucks. I'm thinkin, fake id + mexico = freedom!

I don't want to do it. But i need 174k to pay off my loans for my education that hasn't gotten me much work.

What are your degrees in? Did you get a degree in a marketable skill set or did you waste time and money by getting a useless liberal arts degree or something similar? How did you rack up so much student loan debt with the GI Bill and post 9/11 GI Bill available to you? My BS in computer science didn't cost me a dime because of the post 9/11 GI Bill. Get connected with some of the people you served with and see what they are up to... maybe they can get you a job, because often times it's not what you know, it's who you know. What does your resume look like? Is it tailored to each specific job that you apply for? The jobs are out there, you just have to stand out from the thousands of others applying for the same position.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I paid my way through college (the student loans barely covered it) with less than legal methods. I would not advise you to start committing felonies. There are always under the table opportunities to pursue without having to rob people of their hard earned money.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You're in a great position to fulfill a current need in today's society: entertainment and distraction.

The economy sucks, people think we're on the brink of war, and love to buy smartphones. You MUST create an app or 6, and if one of them is enough of a timewaster, you'll be rolling in dough.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join