It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austin Steals Elderly Veteran’s House for Crime of Having Fallout Shelter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The city of Austin, Texas, was looking for an excuse to steal Joe Del Rio’s modest home. It found one – it insisted he had a “bunker” beneath the house.

Actually, it was a fallout shelter built during the Cold War, something millions of Americans were encouraged to build by the federal government, beginning in 1961 under the Community Fallout Shelter Program.

The city began its theft by sending the code enforcement team to Mr. Del Rio’s home early one Saturday morning in May of 2010. After the retired Air Force reservist, Vietnam veteran, and former state employee put on some clothes and opened the door, he was rushed by an Austin Police SWAT team. He was detained and interrogated over a period of ten hours.

www.infowars.com...

I'm just now hearing about this story and it sickens me. Here is a Vietnam veteran who was only doing what the government advised him, back when the Cold War was at its peak. So not even a war veteran is exempt from the terror our government & state is bringing upon us. This has truly opened my eyes!

Moral? Don't prepare for something bad to happen, even if they tell you to!

edit on 9-5-2012 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed May 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's his home, he should do whatever he wants to it. He paid for it. Period.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

The reason they don´t like people having such things is not that they would be able to survive the coming fallout, but rather that it would be hard to get them out if they needed to arrest them in the future. Because they will probably need to arrest pretty much everyone pretty soon, when the riots start.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
It's his home, he should do whatever he wants to it. He paid for it. Period.

I agree!! But the truth is, everything is owned by the government, even you.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What a shame and hope there is more to the story then this post says, as in presume he was not paying taxes is why they seized the home, for an illegal dwelling that had not been on the tax appraisal declared...not that, that is cool, or anything, especially if not being mislead, and they are going after homes with bunkers, as that is really going to be another piece of straw on the camel's back.

Like to say, another good story from infowars.com and Alex Jones' crew
edit on 9-5-2012 by earthinhabitant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Yep, when you register a birth you are actualy handing over ownership.

Unless theres more to this story the people of that town should march on the office that did that to him, they could be next!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
rest of the article is here, as no sense in going out to get it...

Actually, it was a fallout shelter built during the Cold War, something millions of Americans were encouraged to build by the federal government, beginning in 1961 under the Community Fallout Shelter Program.

The city began its theft by sending the code enforcement team to Mr. Del Rio’s home early one Saturday morning in May of 2010. After the retired Air Force reservist, Vietnam veteran, and former state employee put on some clothes and opened the door, he was rushed by an Austin Police SWAT team. He was detained and interrogated over a period of ten hours.

Neighbors were told to evacuate and the home was searched for more than four hours as emergency personnel staged units nearby. Cops found several weapons and 55-gallon drums they considered suspicious. There was nothing sinister about the drums and the legal weapons were returned to Del Rio after the cops examined them.

Authorities accused Del Rio of having a bunker beneath his house. “The code officers went out to investigate it and the individual was fairly cooperative and showed them what he had been working on, which turned out to be a multi-level underground structure,” Doug Matthews, director of communications for the City of Austin, told the Statesman.

Matthews said the city “had some concerns about the structural integrity of the building and the contents of what was down there,” but this turned out to be a pretext for what would come – not only the wholesale theft of the house, but also socking Del Rio with a bill for $90,000 after the city sued him and then poured 264 tons of concrete into the “bunker” and put up a fence around the perimeter. It yanked the meter off the house, making it uninhabitable.

But this was not the end of Mr. Del Rio’s nightmarish ordeal. The city then condemned the house and took possession of it without paying a single cent in compensation. The elderly Vietnam War veteran was handed over to Adult Protective Services since he is a senior citizen and made homeless, thanks to the government of Austin.

“In my opinion, they wanted my property to start with, and this was a way to take my property away from me,” Del Rio said this week. “The ordeal they put me through was unnecessary. I’ve gotten the runaround. I think they want the property. Condemning it is a cheap way to get it.”

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
some turkey on another thread was defending this type of police state behavior by saying if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about

funny
I don't see him on this thread

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

What a two-faced government:

google "FEMA fallout shelter" and you can download a pdf file with instructions for building one in your basement

Do it quick it might not be there tomorrow.

www.ballew.org... (homeland security fallout shelter)

edit on 5/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Only the Government is allowed to have shelters.

You CITIZEN are NOT. Now get back to paying taxes and shut your mouth!!!!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
some turkey on another thread was defending this type of police state behavior by saying if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about

funny
I don't see him on this thread

yea, that is some of the team spirit in the river of Egypt...don't be surprise if he or some other goon does not show up here, trying to justify it, as we know who they be working for, here to do some online crowd control and keep everyone calm and make them think, those of you who are doing your job and enforcing the rules are team players and we all making money serving corrupt people and government, that is the Illuminati, and you all are the ones that are carry it on for them and those at the top of the pyramid, guilty as they are.

lemmings effect or something like that is happening now, so change is in us all, as we sync in spirit and those who are not going to be on the side of the people and choose their occupations and paycheck over humanity, shall reap what you all have been sowing, don't care if you are just running the printer, loaded up with all them new bullets and got your new guns on, you are going to get what your master has been serving, so when they come for your home, or your family and do the same, as what you did to this man and others, let's hope you have something good to say you have done, and not just be judge on what we know you did and do.

www.experiment-resources.com...

Stanley Milgram Experiment (1961)

The Stanley Milgram Experiment was created to explain some of the concentration camp-horrors of the World War 2, where Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, Slavs and other enemies of the state were slaughtered by Nazis.
by Experiment-Resources.com (2008)

Do as you’re told

Many war-criminals claimed they were merely following orders and could not be held responsible for their actions, in the trials following the World War 2.

Were the Germans in fact evil and cold-hearted, or is this a group phenomenon which could happen to anyone, given the right conditions?

Read more about the ethical aspects of the Milgram Experiment here
PREPARATION OF THE STANLEY MILGRAM EXPERIMENT

The psychologist Stanley Milgram created an electric ‘shock generator’ with 30 switches. The switch was marked clearly in 15 volt increments, ranging from 15 to 450 volts.

He also placed labels indicating the shock level, such as ‘Moderate’ (75-120 Volts) and ‘Strong’ (135-180 Volts). The switches 375-420 Volts were marked ‘Danger: Severe Shock’ and the two highest levels 435-450, was marked ‘XXX’.

The ‘shock generator’ was in fact phony and would only produce sound when the switches were pressed.

40 subjects (males) were recruited via mail and a newspaper ad. They thought they were going to participate in an experiment about ‘memory and learning’.

In the test, each subject was informed clearly that their payment was for showing up, and they could keep the payment “no matter what happens after they arrive[d]”.

Next, the subject met an ‘experimenter’, the person leading the experiment, and another person told to be another subject. The other subject was in fact a confederate acting as a subject. He was a 47 year old male accountant.

The two subjects (the real subject and the con-subject) drew slips of paper to indicate who was going to be a ‘teacher’ and who was going to be a ‘learner’. The lottery was in fact a set-up, and the real subject would always get the role of ‘the teacher’.

The teacher saw that the learner was strapped to a chair and electrodes were attached. The subject was then seated in another room in front of the shock generator, unable to see the learner.
RESEARCH QUESTION

The Stanley Milgram Experiment aimed at getting an answer to the question:

“For how long will someone continue to give shocks to another person if they are told to do so, even if they thought they could be seriously hurt?” (the dependent variable)

Remember that they had met the other person, a likable stranger, and that they thought that it could very well be them who were in the learner-position receiving shocks.
THE EXPERIMENT

The subject was instructed to teach word-pairs to the learner. When the learner made a mistake, the subject was instructed to punish the learner by giving him a shock, 15 volts higher for each mistake.

The learner never received the shocks, but pre-taped audio was triggered when a shock-switch was pressed.

If the experimenter, seated in the same room, was contacted, the experimenter would answer with predefined ‘prods’ (“Please continue”, “Please go on”, “The experiment requires that you go on”, “It is absolutely essential that you continue”, “You have no other choice, you must go on”), starting with the mild prods, and making it more authoritarian for each time the subject contacted the experimenter.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ya kno the funny thing about this..
1).. Info wars

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Read the article and watched the video. Seems like we arent getting the whole story. That place looked like it should have been condemned anyway. I would guess taxes werent paid or neighbors made complaints. If they seized his home why were they allowed to film there with the gentleman? Whats so wrong with enforcing the code on the books? Sure people were encouraged to have fallout shelters but having an unsafe hole under the house filled hardly seems like the local government are paranoid, just prudent. And of course since this is infowars the story is sensationalized and one sided. Notice that news clip isnt complete and the only person giving info is an old gentleman that is pissed off. Inb4 shill.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I wonder how they knew there was anything in his basement. Apparently they came specifically for that reason.

Could it be one of his neighbors turned him in? Maybe collected some reward money for turning in a terrorist?
Is that what it's coming to? Are people getting so desperate for money they'll falsely turn their neighbors in for a buck?

I really hope I'm wrong. Just thinking about that possibility really bothers me.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

I think someone probably turned him in and that he may not usually be as lucid as he appeared in the video. Why did you jump to the conclusion that turning him in would be financially motivated? I think it would have been concern for his well being.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
A less-hysterical version of the story;

Multilevel bunker found under East Austin home
No charges filed, but the structural integrity of man's house is a concern, officials say.

It also states a hole from the tunneling reached under one of the neighbor's yards. Unfortunately digging extensively under your home is a great way to undermine your foundation and get your home condemned. It's not a "rights" issue but a safety issue.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Guys I was just thinking up about this situation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Under what circumstances can they take your house. Why would having a bunker be a crime !!!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
A less-hysterical version of the story;

Multilevel bunker found under East Austin home
No charges filed, but the structural integrity of man's house is a concern, officials say.

It also states a hole from the tunneling reached under one of the neighbor's yards. Unfortunately digging extensively under your home is a great way to undermine your foundation and get your home condemned. It's not a "rights" issue but a safety issue.

Make him fill in the bunker, pay for repairs, but don't seize and condemn his home.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Why would they send a swat team and interrogate him for 10 hours if they were just concerned for his well being?

They were there expecting to uncover a terrorist. Why would they think that?

Someone probably told them he had a bunker hidden in his basement. Why might someone do that?

Austin, Texas Crime Stoppers

Soon after, a civilian Crime Stoppers Board of Directors was established and Austin Crime Stoppers, Inc. was chartered as a non-profit tax exempt corporation. Official operations began on October 30, 1979. Now called Capital Area Crime Stoppers to better reflect the area we service, the program offers cash rewards and anonymity to citizens who utilize the tips hotline to report information on criminal activity. If the tip leads to an arrest or charges filed, the caller may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000.

Maybe not desperation. Maybe just a vendetta.Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear to me what happened.

Why do you say that it was only out of concern for his well being? Do you know something we don't? Do you live in Austin, by chance?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Reading more of this topic, his home really wasn't raided or seized for having a bunker - but for the extensive modification underground that seriously jeopardize the structural integrity of the home.

If he want's to keep his home, he'll have to work with the court and building inspectors to retroactively get a building permit - which at this point may not be possible for a number of reason: such a structure may not be permitted by zoning in his area, such a structure once built is impossible for an inspector to inspect, which mean razing the structure then starting over. Other issues arise such as underground utilities. Had he gone about it the right way - getting approval from the building department by submitting engineering drawings from an approved structural engineer, applying for a zoning variation, getting the building permit, etc., due to the fact this bunker was described as "multi-level" and underground he might have even been required to get an Army Corp. of Engineer environmental impact study just to be certain he wasn't interfering with ground water drainage or aquifers, etc. Ask any builder, flaunting the building department can be big trouble, sheriffs can and will show up and shut down a job site for a lack of permit.

There's just a lot of things an extensive underground structure has to do to get approved by a building department, and I assume he did none of that. The worst is the fact that city engineers simply won't be able to see the integrity of what he built, and for safety reasons, they'll almost certainly order the home to be razed.

City of Austin isn't "stealing" this veteran's home for having a fallout shelter on the principal of it being a fallout shelter, but they will condemn the home and likely raze it for the fact he potentially caused serious structural issues with it's foundation, and the city will not be able to determine how well built it is or whether it's in imminent danger of collapse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join