It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Authorities warn of debate threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI warned authorities in Florida that Thursday's presidential debate at the University of Miami could be an attractive target for terrorists. They currently do not have any specific information or intelligence to suggest that this first presidential debate is a target, although they are still worried.

edition.cnn.com
The official said that the face-offs between President Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry were symbolic events that terrorists might target in an effort to disrupt the elections. The warning, issued Monday, notes that southern Florida has been used as a base of operations and transit point by al Qaeda operatives and some of the 9/11 hijackers.

The warning "basically looks at very broad intelligence that has been out there for a long time," the official said.

It mentions "things to look out for" and points out vulnerable sectors, but the official said it does not recommend specific protective measures.

Because of its relatively small size, the debate has not been designated a national special security event -- unlike this summer's Democratic and Republican national conventions, the DHS official said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You can expect very tight security at this first debate. It would make a prime location for a terrorist attack to happen, and would possibly kill both of the running mates. All events of this sort have security issues tagging along with them, but an event where both running cadidates are present tends to raise the odd eyebrow.

The warning identifies some potential "soft targets" in south Florida, but the DHS official said there is no specific intelligence that they have been targeted. The U.S. Secret Service is leading the security planning because it is charged with protecting Bush and Kerry.

And so they should.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have heard a rumor that an "Official Terror Alert" would be made today, but looks like this may be it. I have not heard anything myself as to "New" information concerning a potential attack, but the thoughts as suggested above, it is a concerned target. I think Florida has been through enough with Mother Nature, this would only make things worse. I am kinda worried about this scenario, but nothing will probably happen. This could very well change the Debate structure in the future.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Actually, I live relatively close to University. Firstly, the metro-rail station University was closed the entire day. The only way to enter UM by riding purely mass transit was to take a shuttle bus from the stations before. From 7:00-9:30, a few stations in front of and behind the University station were closed. About 3 miles on each side I would say.

Then there was the caravan precautions. Whichever road the president would be using there would be police there prior to the crossing blocking the roads perpendicular to that road. I was blocked in one of these. I saw about 20 troopers on motorcycles, about 5 trooper cars, about 4 vans, and 2 "presidential" limousines.

join