It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6,000 year old shellfish cooker found on beach in Ireland.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is a VERY short artical in the national newpaper today that I felt I should share with you guys. The part about the "stoneage tsunami" might be another small piece of the "Great flood" stories/myths of ancient civilisations around the globe. I will be sure to update the story if it develops in the future, Enjoy.

www.independent.ie...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranong

For those of you who wish not to be mislead by the word "cooker", I have quoted a short snippet from the story link followed by a definition relevant to this thread:

Radiocarbon dating of a shellfish midden, located on Fanore Beach in north Clare, have revealed it to be at least 6,000 years old -- hundreds of years older than the nearby Poulnabrone dolmen.

Definition of "midden"

A midden, (also kitchen midden or shell heap) is an old dump for domestic waste which may consist of animal bone, human excrement, botanical material, vermin, shells, sherds, lithics (especially debitage), and other artifacts and ecofacts associated with past human occupation.

The word is of Scandinavian via Middle English derivation, but is used by archaeologists worldwide to describe any kind of feature containing waste products relating to day-to-day human life.

So in other words, the thread title and news article really should read: "6000 year old shellfish kitchen found on beach of Ireland:"

Nice find though, S&F

edit on 9-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranong

This finding is very interesting...but where are the photo's?

I'm just saying....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Thanks for clearing that up for me my friend, im a novice on this site and not much better on computers aswell. I really love this site and I hope to get up to speed with my editing soon. thanks again.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

There is one photo in the print version of the paper but its just a couple of beachcombers sitting around a table with some boxes. I will try get some more info as it comes out and hopefully some snaps aswell. ATS will be first to get`em when I do. Peace.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranong

Excavation of the site has also revealed a mysterious black layer of organic material, which archeologists believe may be the results of a Stoneage tsunami which hit the west Clare coast, possibly wiping out the people who used the midden.

from the op source regarding tsunami

wonder what they mean by mysterious

edit on 5/9/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I had the same question. Where are the photos ?

Lately I have seen many such stories without any pics.

new topics

top topics

join