It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch net neutrality to become reality after Senate approves law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Dutch net neutrality to become reality after Senate approves law

www.itworld.com

May 09, 2012, 10:41 AM — The Netherlands is the first country in Europe to adopt a net neutrality law, and the second country in the world, after Chile. The Dutch Senate adopted the net neutrality provisions in a new Telecom Law approved on Tuesday evening.

The changes to the law were approved unanimously, according to the Senate website. The net neutrality law will ensure that access to the Internet is neutral and it is forbidden to filter the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
After Chile, this is the second country on our planet to create law which must appear hateful to the corporate moguls of the United States and other 'control oriented' nations.

The law aims to prevent telecom providers from blocking or throttling services such as Skype or WhatsApp, an Internet SMS service. Internet providers will also be prohibited from making prices for their Internet services dependent on the services used by the subscriber. ISPs may throttle traffic to prevent congestion or protect the network -- but only if they treat all traffic of the same type equally -- and they may not block traffic unless it is necessary in order to protect the integrity and security of the network or users' terminals.

Understand, this is not the net neutrality proposed by the politicians here in the US. This net neutrality makes it illegal for ISP's to treat any traffic over their network differently from another. The only way an ISP can shut access down is in response to a legal court order, failure to pay for the service, or in order to prevent a network-wide outage.

The Dutch legislators also regulates deep packet inspection, which most know means arbitrary 'snooping' into the traffic content of a customer.

Not everybody thinks the Dutch net neutrality law is a good idea. Neelie Kroes, vice-president of the European Commission responsible for the Digital Agenda, voiced her doubts about the Dutch plans in a speech last year. "I regret very much that The Netherlands seems to be moving unilaterally on this issue," she said at the time, adding that requiring operators to provide only "full Internet" could kill innovative new offers and higher prices for consumers with limited needs.

The new Dutch Telecom Law will be in effect after the Queen signs the law and the law is officially published.

For those of you wondering about the "Digital Agenda" think, politicians and their corporate sponsors... whose answer to any obstacle to exploitation is to threaten higher prices and declare themselves as being disinclined to "innovate" without the freedom to do so.

www.itworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-5-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Oh the irony. Here's what I get in my browser when I try to access The Pirate Bay.
XS4All's (a Dutch ISP) "Blocked Sites" list (via court order)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Now THAT'S funny!

Makes you wonder if the source is living in the same world we are.....

edit on 9-5-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The man responsible for most of it the mess here is called Tim Kuik. Check out his LinkedIn page, he used to work for the MPAA
He is the man spanning all these court cases with much industry money behind him. Its a sad world when people and companies like that get to make the rules.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There have been other reasons why I've thought this recently; but I really do need to apply for citizenship in the Netherlands.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thats bS, im from the netherlands and today a judge decided
Not just xs4all needs to block tpb but vodafone, kpn, tmobile
and a few other internet providers have to bloxk it as well :@

I bet we will sign the ACTA soon as we're gettin close with this
Ridiculous acts

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am kind of surprised at the apparent inaccuracy of the article. So far it appears that "neutrality" notwithstanding, the arch enemies of intellectual property hoarders are still being targeted by crippling their customers' access.

I suppose this is all "court ordered" or somehow mandated by officials who are into protecting all things commerce.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I will say that reading a lawyers language type document in Dutch is not one of my core skills. From what I can see on the parliament page though, www.eerstekamer.nl... it is aimed at privacy and net neutrality. Time will tell I guess but Holland is quite a conformist and conservative nation in many areas, with the usual and well-known exceptions I'm sure I don't need to mention.

I don't hold much hope but will still keep my fingers crossed. Not because I want to download torrents but because I see that as the first thing to be blocked and which will, inevitably, be followed by many other protocols used for "illegal" purposes.

new topics

top topics

join