It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peru says 5,000 birds, nearly 900 dolphins dead

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

LIMA - The Peruvian government said Wednesday that 5,000 birds, mostly pelicans, and nearly 900 dolphins have died off the country's northern coast, possibly due to rising temperatures in Pacific waters.

The country's northern beaches were earlier this week declared off-limits as scientists scrambled to pin down what was causing such a massive toll, with non-government organizations blaming oil exploration work.

But Peru's deputy environment minister Gabriel Quijandria, disputed this and said warming waters, which disturbs species' food supplies, was a possible cause.

Link to the story

AFP

Warming waters?? Come on i find it hard to believe that it`s the warming waters that is the cause for the dieoff

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

And nearly 300,000 people die every day, These things happen, Unless you can find out the exact death rate of both pelicans and Dolphins per day in peru and then compare then to the deaths specifically recorded on that Wednesday i see no conspiracy

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

"The country's northern beaches were earlier this week declared off-limits as scientists scrambled to pin down what was causing such a massive toll" so this would indicate that its not a normal die off for "a wednesday" in peru

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is getting a bit stupid from where I'm sitting. We're being treated to stories of Dolphins dying by the hundreds... every month or so from that same strip of beach...or quite close to it.

Perhaps it's time Peru hit the fire alarm of scientific "Heeeeeeeeelp us!!!" so the world's enviro types can join the hunt in full force and see what has so many dolphins, seemingly in this one area, killing themselves regularly. I know die offs happen all the time around the world...but the same spot, over a long period like it's been now? I think I recall the first story coming here around the first of the year.....Something isn't friendly down there.

Perhaps there is a submerged volcano no one has found yet? Enough have suggested so it seems it could be possible?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

And nearly 300,000 people die every day, These things happen, Unless you can find out the exact death rate of both pelicans and Dolphins per day in peru and then compare then to the deaths specifically recorded on that Wednesday i see no conspiracy

People die everyday yes .. but not in groups
that is mass death that happened at the same place
there is certainly a conspiracy to speak off
the government certainly doesnt tell us the truth or they dont know nothing about it
just speculatings theories

Yet has explained whats happening
but i think it has to do with the magnetic field
they lost their ways and couldnt come back to home
like their GPS told them to take a wrong turn

And the loud sounds happening everwhere
maybe it has a corrolation
we have to think very deep to explain all of this ..
not just some stupid theories to deny the real facts
people are afraid of the truth sometimes .. better for them to have a simple answer
that the mind will be able to pass over it

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yaipen Llanos performed beach necropsies and summarized his findings:

Macroscopic findings include: hemorrhagic lesions in the middle including the acoustic chamber, fractures in the periotic bones, bubbles in blood filling liver and kidneys (animals were diving, so the main organs were congested), lesion in the lungs compatible with pulmonary emphysema, sponge-like liver.
So far we have 12 periotic samples from different animals, all with different degree of fractures and 80% of them with fracture in the right periotic bones, compatible with acoustic impact and decompression syndrome…

At this point, the evidence points towards acoustic impact and decompression syndrome. However, the large aggregation of dolphins is leading towards a potential epidemic outbreak of morbillivirus, brucella or both.
We have recorded morbillivirus in South American sea-lions and the Peruvian population of common dolphins is a migratory part of that at Costa Rica, so chances are high. Also, evidence of previous mass stranding of this magnitude was associated to morbillivirus outbreak in Europe during the 90's also in common dolphins and porpoises.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by astra001uk

But still that could be an exaggeration without correct figures to prove the deaths were considerably more than usual it's impossible to even start guessing as to why it have happened.
If you put it down to a disease perhaps such a specific strain of bird flu that effects merely Dolphins and pelicans because for some reason they both are connected in some way and have no resistance to the virus this makes the entire thing understandable, But nobody will put at much research into this as they would if people were dying, It's probably just a disease of virus that will pass, If it doesn't all the Dolphins a pelicans die off, Life goes on.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The change of water by + or - 3 degrees could kill all the species living in water just like the change of tempature in the atmosphere could kill all humans s that is a VERY plausable explanation.... but to just kill a couple hundred here and there it has to be something else..... we will see if it keeps happening like it has the past 4yrs and escalates in numbers than it can only be some sort of chemcal change in the water like lack of Oxygen or Temp change

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lyrc07

Amazing how something so simple can cause so much damage

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

yes life goes on however some people, especialy on this web site, would like to have answers for what seems to many to be an abnormal amount of die offs. I feel strongly about finding out about the deaths of these birds and mammals if for no other reason than by investigating these deaths we may learn if we can extend the life of the next generation, also if something is found to be causing the deaths perhaps we can change it, by doing nothing we will never improve life chances, in my opinion

link   
I read on here once that when large amounts of animals dies - dolphins beached - a fairly large magnitude earthquake will hit shortly after.. Can't remember the explanation, but if there is an earthquake I will definitely look more closely into it

link   
I read on here once that when large amounts of animals dies - dolphins beached - a fairly large magnitude earthquake will hit shortly after.. Can't remember the explanation, but if there is an earthquake I will definitely look more closely into it
edit on 9-5-2012 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

So that's what it's all about! It's not "climate change". They've been selling that for years to cover up all the mass extinctions they caused by their toxic concoctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Greetings:

A bit of concern to us is the fact that the other thread had this tidbit:

Trueman:

Some controlled explosions were conducted as I read weeks ago, researchers were looking for oil. That could be bad for dolphins, even if the government said there is no connection.

Trueman, you got bumped off on the other thread before we could follow-up.

Do you have any link to these 'controlled explosions?'

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

FUKUSHIMA is the word.

edit on 11-5-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Interesting.

Trueman (who lived in Peru) also came up with a good explanation in a duplicate thread I authored, not seeing this one.

I have emailed him to see if he could replicate his info here.

What bothered me about the article (aside from the massive die-off) was that they said that scientists were scrambling to find the cause but they also said that it was probable that this would happen in other locations as well.

How could they possibly know that if they're not sure of the cause yet?

Fishy. (no pun intended)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hi Son, as I was explaining in the other thread :

I lived in Peru, I've been there when "El Nino" striked in the 80's. I walked the beaches and I saw about the same scenario.

The "anchoveta" is a little fish which is the key of this situation. The waters got lot warmer now so the anchoveta moved to colder waters far away. That means no food. All dead pelicans found had empty stomachs, according to last official investigations, in other words, they starved to death. The dolphins eat anchoveta too.

I reapeat, I saw that happen before, I used to go fishing there.

Even without "El Nino", every year about the end of summer in Peru (march - april), many dead birds are found on the beaches, those are the old ones.

The only thing I find hard to explain is the information about the damage organs and broken ears in the dolphins.

Radioactivity was ruled out by peruvian government as a possible cause for this tragic event. Recently, I read about researchers conducted some controlled explosions in the coast, they were looking for oil (will try to find a source for that). Even if the government considered there is no connection with the dead animals, it can't be good for dolphins I guess.

Some charts (spanish) explaining the situation were published by peruvian newspaper La Republica, for those who can read spanish, these are really helpful.

www.larepublica.pe...

Update. Regarding de explosions :

(Translation)

This type of activity creates some artificial seismic activity that may affect whales and dolphins.

These works are carried out from a ship that shoots compressed air through a canyon to the seafloor, producing echoes or sound waves for exploring possible oil and gas. This echo produces a shock wave that can harm an animal to reach it. However, this screening method is used in Peru since 1973.

Initially, the second hypothesis was identified as the most probable, but in recent days has lost consistency. Deputy Minister of Environment, Quijandria Gabriel announced that according to the analysis of internal organs, there are no signs of common symptoms found in dolphins when they are affected by this type of wave. Moreover, the theory seems very good for these animals appear dead both before the initiation of these marine works (carried out by the company BPZ), and after its conclusion.

actualidad.rt.com...
edit on 11-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

In my opinion, dolphins and pelicans died for different reasons. Will update this point if possible.

Here :

(translation)

Carlos Yaipen, director of the Scientific Organization Science for Conservation of Aquatic Animals (ORCA), said: "Oil companies use different frequencies of sound wave and the effects of these bubbles are not visible to the naked eye, but also generate downstream effects in animals. That can cause death by acoustic impact not only dolphins, but also sea lions and whales. "The generalized internal bleeding evidenced in autopsies point to relentless noise impact

malcolmallison.lamula.pe...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

No problem, already done.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
here we go, BP is at it again. Death and destruction of anything in it's path. Wether it be animal or the rape of resources in other parts of the world for, THE BIG BUCKS. Sums it all up for me, right BP. NO WAIT, the aliens did it.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
here we go, BP is at it again. Death and destruction of anything in it's path. Wether it be animal or the rape of resources in other parts of the world for, THE BIG BUCKS. Sums it all up for me, right BP. NO WAIT, the aliens did it.

Well, I don't know if it was BP, the name looks similar but not the logo.

"BPZ Energy Exploring Peru's Oil Fields Attracts World-Class Partner"

seekingalpha.com...

Houston-based BPZ Energy is an independent oil and gas exploration and production company with exclusive license contracts covering approximately 2.2 million acres in four blocks in northwest Peru.

www.bpzenergy.com...

<<   2  3 >>

join