It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Yeah i do know what a liar is and immigration is not a federal matter because they havent done crap to stop it that those states like Arizonia had to act in their own interest.

Did you watch that video?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

BUT...if the government is going to offer some benefits for being marriage...they must do it for everyone...equality.

Why is this so difficult for some to understand?

OR - - it gets deflected to there should be no government marriage license.

But - there is. That is the fact.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Yeah i do know what a liar is and immigration is not a federal matter because they havent done crap to stop it that those states like Arizonia had to act in their own interest.

Did you watch that video?

I really don't think you do know what a liar is. And Obama has done more on immigration than Bush did...so your whole argument is kind of dead.

I did watch the video...and Obama has said his personal views have changed.

Why do you have a problem with peoples views changing???

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Some people on ATS are so cynical, man...

Same sex marriage seems to be the precipus of ethical discourse for Americans. I applaud and fully respect Obama's opinion on same sex marriage, though it is transparent that it was hasty and the timing was purely political. However, what should be the point taken from this is that, Obama's remarks were sincere. In 2011, when he confessed that his posistion on the matter was evolving, that was sincere; that was demonstrable through his previous statements on the issue. For anyone to say that Obama's statements were anything but sincere, is just foolish.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is an old article from Aug 2011.

Has the IRS policies changed ?

Lots of legal issues with gay marriage it seems.

For all those same-sex newlyweds in New York, Lawrence S. Jacobs has a message: Enjoy the Champagne and the honeymoon, but expect no gifts from the IRS. Jacobs, a lawyer in Washington, specializes in estate planning for same-sex couples—and in delivering the bad news that their unions aren’t legal in the eyes of the IRS, a policy that will cost them time and money during tax season.

Same-sex couples in Washington, which last year legalized gay marriage, must fill out a federal return to make calculations required for their D.C. joint return. But then they must set that work aside and fill out separate federal returns because the IRS doesn’t regard their union as legal, Jacobs says. “You just spent decades getting your marriage recognized, and now the feds say, ‘No, you’re not,’” says Jacobs, who as a partner in a same-sex marriage has firsthand experience of the problem.

This cumbersome process applies to all married same-sex couples in the U.S. It comes courtesy of the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, which defines marriage as “a legal union between a man and a woman as husband and wife.” The Obama Administration, saying DOMA is unconstitutional, has instructed federal agencies to do what they can under existing law to extend benefits to same-sex partnerships. Such rule-stretching doesn’t go far with the IRS, says Brian Moulton, an attorney with the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington gay rights advocacy group. “There’s a relatively small space before you bump up against DOMA,” he says. “I don’t think there’s much they can do.” The IRS declined to comment.

IRS to Gay Newlyweds: Not So Fast Federal tax benefits of marriage don’t extend to same-sex couples

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I did watch the video...and Obama has said his personal views have changed.

Why do you have a problem with peoples views changing???

A LOT of people's personal views on same sex marriage has changed.

That's why the percentage in favor of keeps increasing.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Oh yeah they change alright flipped from from the 90s to now.

Blah coming from those who say Fox News Lies!,Breitbart Lies! Bush lies!

What think the left is the only people who get to sit there and go around calling people liars?

Deal with it.

Obama LIES!!!!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

reply to post by PaxVeritas

But Obama can't run on much else nowadays, can he.

Nah...only on a economic recovery, moving healthcare reform forward (regardless if there is a set back...the entire conversation has now moved forward and people won't go back to status quo), a strong foreign policy, saving the American auto industry, helping out the working class during the recession, and finally getting America's boogeyman of the past decade.

But you are right...he has nothing to run on

Nah, just because you carry the water bucket for Obama does NOT mean you get to hyperbole out of the truth.

1) Economic recovery? Over 100% debt to GDP ratio? In the Trillions? Massive unemployment where the true unemployment is still hovering around 18-20%. High gas prices, high energy, high inflation, a deficit spending economic policy, advisers with a DEBT/TAX mindset overall?

2) Healthcare moving forward? More than a dozen State legislatures are moving against it as we speak for their states. The odds of that thing passing is grim. And who says it would be a BENEFIT anyway? Just because he 'passed' something doesn't mean it's an improvement. You're hyping it up.

3) Saved the auto industry? With our money..and we have a ways to go before we see the net results of that effort.

4) Strong foreign policy?????? The biggest joke of your post. Complete warmonger interventionist who ignores Congressional authority for military intervention and spins around it using the Nato and the U.N. as a shield. Threatening non aggressive neighbors like Iran while catering to aggressive rogues like Israel. Bombing friends an allying with enemies. Oh and sending in CIA to help subvert governments.

5) "Helping out the working class"? Is that what this is?

6) Ohhh the "Bin Laden" thing. Yeah, the dead guy in the ocean. Awesome stuff man,

Your lips are stained bright red

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Just a few 'headlines" from today.

Federal Reserve Approves Expansion Of Three Chinese Banks In US

stratrisks.com...

Market Has Longest Losing Streak In 10 Months

http://(nolink)/2012/05/09/market-longest-losing-streak-10-months-131491/

Manufactured False Flag Bomb Plot Exposed, Officials Irate Over Leak Proving CIA Ran Entire Operation

theintelhub.com...

Feds Declare Martial Law Red Zone Around Chicago Loop For Nato Meeting

http://(nolink)/2012/05/09/feds-declare-martial-law-red-zone-chicago-loop-nato-meeting-131351/

Yeah, our Government under Obama is AWESOME. Things are great.

NOW WATCH THIS DRIVE

edit on 9-5-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Remember in the beginning - - when Obama said (to the effect of): "If I don't hear you - make me pay attention".

Well that is exactly what the LGBTQ did.Obama's personal statement clearly reflects that.

Make me Pay attention,4 years,and a reelection campaign away...............

No one is buying this.Seriously..........

President Obama's historic endorsement of gay marriage draws praise and cash from supporters but could carry a political cost in the South.

"Within minutes, people were calling with their credit cards. They're thrilled," said Andrew Tobias, treasurer of the Democratic National Committee and a top fundraising bundler for Obama. He said one donor pledged $10,000 and decided to fly with his partner from Los Angeles to attend an Obama fundraiser in New York on Monday.

Obama supports gay marriage, taking a risky stand

No agenda,Move along............

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Interesting.
Most of the black people I know really hate gays, so I wonder how they will feel about Obama after this?

Originally posted by sonnny1

Headline:
President Obama Endorses Same-Sex Marriage

Reason:
To score more votes,for his reelection.

Real question: Why didn't he say this 4 years ago?

He's got a big Hollywood fundraiser in a few days, that's why.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
See I definitely lean liberal. But after semi-recent considerations, I'm against same sex marriage. Instead, I think they should have some other civil union type thing, where the couple would receive the same benefits but it wouldn't be called marriage.
I think it's a happy compromise.

The main thing that changed my mind was the question of how would children view gay people getting married. I think, based on what I know about development, that it would impact them negatively.
As a country that already has enough problems, we don't need to add another potential problem.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Charles Krauthammer made an interesting point.
(I'll try to find a source)

*paraphrasing*
Obama once again has shown himself to be less of a leader and has demonized a portion of the country who doesn't believe in same-sex marriage.
He's shown himself to be a divider, not a uniter.

Rich v poor.
Black v white
Pro gay marrage v anti gay marriage

States have the right to be as obtuse as they want. No ammount of federal law can stop it, unless it fits into a larger agenda.

State immigration law was brought up but I didn't see where sactuary cities fit in with that.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
See I definitely lean liberal. But after semi-recent considerations, I'm against same sex marriage. Instead, I think they should have some other civil union type thing, where the couple would receive the same benefits but it wouldn't be called marriage.

Compromise?

There are many gay Christians who want to get married in church in the eyes of God.

There are many churches who support gay marriage.

Why the hell should they be second class citizens? Compromise? NO!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
indeed. so, what are they dividiing us up for?

Obama has a long track record of promising one thing only to leave people hanging and still not delivering on his campaign promises, even.

this is consistent with the feds/administration's promises on whole, esp regarding liberties vs persecutions.

they really aren't even trying to hide what they are doing any more.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

When you have division, you don't have a clear single voice concerning unemployment, economy, foreign policy, domestic policy.

Obama is a hater and haters gonna hate!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Obama has been put in check since 2010 and he has thrown every pawn and the kitchen sink to get out of it 2012 just may very well be a surprise for most.

Chess!!

edit on 9-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

He did say this is his personal position...not a political one.

Then WHY make it a public one?

Isn't there SO MANY other problems,Obama should be dealing with? Shouldn't he go public with Fast and Furious?
Wheres his "shovel ready" jobs ? Why did he continue down the path of the Patriot Act,and NDAA ? WHY isn't Gitmo closed down ? Why is he continuing Presidents Bush's failures,all the while continuing to blame him the last 4 years?

He immediately was inundated with support from the Gay community ! CASH and SUPPORT ! What a Politician needs,at the time of a reelection !

You make it sound like it was an "open mic" moment !

Please.............

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

Obama has been put in check since 2010 and he has thrown every pawn and the kitchen sink to get out of it 2012 just may very well be a surprise for most.

Chess!!

edit on 9-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

The smart thing would have been for Obama to keep being. . . er. . . well. . . Obama.

He follows what Biden said a few days ago and all this does is make himself look weak.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by meggiddo2012
Well why don't we just go ahead and support bestiality or necrophilia. Why not marry animals or whatever else is unnatural so long as you love it. I love grilled steak, should I marry it? Same sex marriage in unnatural. What was the point of having 2 sexes if you don't need the other. This has nothing to do with rights or freedoms but everything to do with immorality. I don't care if you do not believe in the God of the Bible, sexual immorality is detrimental to the family unit especially homosexuality. Let me give you a few reasons why it is wrong:
It Is Not Marriage
Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses.
It Violates Natural Law
It Always Denies a Child Either a Father or a Mother
It Turns a Moral Wrong into a Civil Right
It Does Not Create a Family but a Naturally Sterile Union
It Defeats the State’s Purpose of Benefiting Marriage
It Imposes Its Acceptance on All Society

How many of these anti-gay, pro-marriage types actually care about things like the divorce rate? You never see protests with signs saying "end divorce", but of course you see that with anything "gay". These people that care so much about marriage don't care if themselves or anyone else has one divorce, or several.

edit on 5/9/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join